Author Topic: Antelope Audio Zen  (Read 1261 times)

Crossing_The_Threshold

• View Profile
Re: Antelope Audio Zen
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »
Hi Scott,

Can you describe a bit your workflow? Do you record plenty of outboard synths/instuments?

Thanks

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
Hi Scott,

Can you describe a bit your workflow? Do you record plenty of outboard synths/instuments?

Thanks

I go back and forth between doing everything with VSTs in Bidule to using outboard synths like my Moog or beloved JD-990s (and now-beloved iPads) with occasional guitar or doodads to build tracks. I like the flexibility of a hybrid approach and the RME gives me a lot of flex with Firewire, Light pipe, SPDIF and quality analog ins and outs.

When working with Jamie (the other half of dreamSTATE), I have 4 stereo pairs streaming to him through light pipe for live 32-bit recording (in his Bidule setup which seems to like 32-bit recording the best when recording a dozen or so stereo pairs plus playing all of Jamie's synths) from various sections of my portable rig (synth and iPad inputs, VSTs, sequences & FX) which has been great for capturing live and improv flows which can be edited later. I usually have an in/out pair going to my Kaoss Pad3. The two sets of MIDI i/o are very handy for connecting our two rigs together for sequencer syncing plus MIDI i/o to my iPad.

If I have my laptop/RME-UCX then I don't use a mixer, just the UCX as the hardware ins and outs with a very nice vst mixer Jamie assembled being controlled from my Doepfer Drehbank for spontaneous adjustments. We're very live oriented but in the studio I can plug in whatever I need quickly into the front jacks and the RME Totalmix software, while sometimes headscratchy to figure routings, is very good.

Sooo no, not a lot of recording of bowls, bells and acoustic instruments that you might be interested in my opinion about the preamps for. I can just state that the RME sounded immediately better to me than my PreSonus and that the clocking has been reliable (and switches smoothly and automatically between different master/slave configurations). It sounds good and robust with external electronic instruments and quality VSTs. I hope this is some help.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »
if you do not use the monitor controller maybe it is better to buy another product.

Their are very few things on the market that can do what my current MOTU system does (allow 40+ inputs and 20 outputs in various formats at the same time). And most of those would be very expensive. So I am currently not in the market for a new sound card for my studio. For live use maybe, but only if I had some upcoming shows which I don't have at the moment.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Crossing_The_Threshold

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 03:08:49 AM »
Hi Scott,

Thanks

I go back and forth between doing everything with VSTs in Bidule to using outboard synths like my Moog or beloved JD-990s (and now-beloved iPads) with occasional guitar or doodads to build tracks. I like the flexibility of a hybrid approach and the RME gives me a lot of flex with Firewire, Light pipe, SPDIF and quality analog ins and outs.

When working with Jamie (the other half of dreamSTATE), I have 4 stereo pairs streaming to him through light pipe for live 32-bit recording (in his Bidule setup which seems to like 32-bit recording the best when recording a dozen or so stereo pairs plus playing all of Jamie's synths) from various sections of my portable rig (synth and iPad inputs, VSTs, sequences & FX) which has been great for capturing live and improv flows which can be edited later. I usually have an in/out pair going to my Kaoss Pad3. The two sets of MIDI i/o are very handy for connecting our two rigs together for sequencer syncing plus MIDI i/o to my iPad.

If I have my laptop/RME-UCX then I don't use a mixer, just the UCX as the hardware ins and outs with a very nice vst mixer Jamie assembled being controlled from my Doepfer Drehbank for spontaneous adjustments. We're very live oriented but in the studio I can plug in whatever I need quickly into the front jacks and the RME Totalmix software, while sometimes headscratchy to figure routings, is very good.

Sooo no, not a lot of recording of bowls, bells and acoustic instruments that you might be interested in my opinion about the preamps for. I can just state that the RME sounded immediately better to me than my PreSonus and that the clocking has been reliable (and switches smoothly and automatically between different master/slave configurations). It sounds good and robust with external electronic instruments and quality VSTs. I hope this is some help.

Thanks for the input.

What device are you using your hand on?

dreamSTATE vs Heiki - Winter Light

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
I'm guessing you mean the Alesis Air FX on my left and Air Synth on my right. I use them at selected concerts because it adds an extra visual element.

The Air FX is mainly an effect unit but has a few synth programs too. There's a really solid C drone synth with vector control over volume and the filter which was perfect for this show - the first concert in our Drone Cycle 2012 and rooted in C. (A 3rd vector is for pitch but I find it unplayable except for octave swoops and drones at the extremes of the range.) I usually run each unit through an Alesis ModFX unit (Phlngr or Bitrman) for additional sound manipulation plus verb/echo inside my laptop to float them a bit. The Air Synth is all synths and percussion and is more playable pitchwise, though still tricky. I have affinity for about 10 of the presets and can twist them up in the ModFX.

BTW - This show was about 3 months before I switched from ProSonus Firebox to RME UCX, though I doubt the audible difference would be noticeable on YouTube in a full mix.

Crossing_The_Threshold

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
The Alesis air fx seems really wicked, kinda reminds me my v-synth D Beam. Thanks for sharing.