Author Topic: Insomnia treatments  (Read 1047 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Insomnia treatments
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
I've had insomnia really bad the last month.  Fall asleep fine but wake up middle of the night.  In the morning I don't feel rested and have bags and dark circles under my eyes.  I tried Trazodone and I slept better but felt tired, foggy and depressed the next day.  Anyone suffer from this condition and can recommend things that work?  Any info greatly appreciated!

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
Re: Insomnia treatments
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:51:09 AM »
Do you have sleep apnea?  I find that depending on how well I'm taking care of myself I will snore. If I let my weight creep up above ~175lbs (I'm 5' 11") I will snore if I sleep on my back, and will wake myself up several dozen times a night.  Regular exercise and eating right will also do wonders.  Avoid alcohol as well, it might make you fall asleep better initially but then you'll have a crap nights sleep.  For a while I tried Melatonin, which actually did help, but then I felt hung over and super bitchy in the morning, I stopped after about 4 weeks.

Basically, if you aren't physically active, get active. I find that's what helps me the most.

EDIT - I used Melatonin not Tryptophan.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
I'm sure everyone will chime in with suggestions, but I'd give some OTC Benadryl a try. You can buy it in any drugstore and the doses are small enough that you can take it without feeling like a zombie the next day.

I've had sleep problems for years and tried Melatonin, Benadryl, Ambien, Lunesta, and other things, but I have issues, so I recommend avoiding prescriptions unless you've got no problems going to a doctor.

I found some good info here: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/sleep-supplements-herbs
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
I gave up smoking, been active for last month and dramatically improved my diet.  Still can't sleep.  Don't think it's sleep apnea but rather anxiety stress based insomnia.  Benadryl?  I'll look into that

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »
If it's anxiety/stress, the best thing to do is, if possible, rid yourself of the source of anxiety/stress.

That's kind of a vague suggestion I know, personally myself, I avoid everything pharma as much as possible.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »
Good advice!  If only it were that simple, everybody could sleep like a teenager again  ;)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
I think it is wise to stay away from the drugs..

Why you can't sleep I think is mostly a mental problem, that you fail to relax your mind. I am suffering from the same problems myself.
I have found that a "sleeping mask" makes a big improvement..  some ambient music with headphones in bad can act like an sleeping pill, it basically puts you in an meditating state of mind... you want to control your thoughts think as abstract and dream like as possible you more of the thoughts that is focused to your in real life I think it will be harder to fall a sleep.  I wish I had a simple on and off button..like some people have..
It sucks to go to bed in time but you go to work with only 4 hours sleep.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »
My doctor said at equinox time of year your brain tends to be more active and people have insomnia as a result.  I took a half a Trazodone 25 mg last night and it worked well, with no grogginess today. Yay!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »
I take melatonin every night, and have been taking it for at least 15 years. The only time there's ever a "hangover" effect is if I take it when I have to be up very soon, such as taking the pills at 4AM when my alarm is set for 6AM.

If I take it at least 30 minutes before I plan to sleep, it takes effect gradually and as long as I get 6+ hours of sleep, I don't have any problem waking up or any lingering effects.

Alcohol can help in SMALL amounts. I think anybody who advocates taking more than 1-2 drinks is nuts -- I mean, drinking more than 1-2 drinks can be fun, and getting really drunk might even help you to sleep, but you won't get good quality sleep and will wake up feeling tired.

I agree with Immersion about the mental aspect of sleep. Usually it's a "racing" mind that prevents me from sleeping. Don't allow yourself to do anything stressful or anxiety-causing for at least an hour before you try to sleep. In other words, don't play exciting video games, and then shut off the light and try to sleep 2 minutes later.

Anything you can do to gradually slow down, decompress, and diminish stress leading up to bedtime, will help.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
to take sleeping pills is very addictive.. and not good in long term, it solves the symptom but not the cause.

Yes the things mgriffin says  about gradually slowing down is important but which also is hard with a day without with not enough hours (of free time) to make all things done. To drink alcohol will not make you sleep easier according to research.  Also avoid eating or drinking anything atleast 1-2 hour before bed.

I think the best is to try to control your own mind as best as you can.. to fall into the land of dreams which will make you fall a sleep require some mental "focus" and effort... however, it does not work if you try to hard if you just think "fall a sleep now fall a sleep now"... I try to focus and meditate, try to play my own inner "films" in my head..which is a mix of memory and imagination, some ambient music really helps slow down your mind a lot faster then anything for me.. it sucks you down and lower your beat rate and slows down your thoughts gradually until you finally fall a sleep...

If you have a tv in your bad..it can help to watch some film or series that is kind of slow and not "very interesting" it will make you tired and unstimulated .

Physical work out will help you fall a sleep easier since you will be more exhausted "After a long day"  lack of activity both mental and physical  could make you have too much energy to slow down during the night..

I have been struggling myself all life, cause usually I never get tired during night time I have to force my bed to night.. it is nothing I yean for to lay alone with my thoughts.. However when  I wake up in the morning or in the day I really enjoy sleeping.. and not go up from bed.

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »
When I was newly divorced and my folks died, all in a short amount of time, I had lots of problems sleeping. I used environmental sound recordings set on repeat. Ambient music is fine, but I think just sounds are better. I used a recording of gentle rain with nocturnal insects. Thunderstorms are great for relaxing but lousy for sleeping, IMO. A steady irregular noise did the trick for me. These days, since Kathryn needs some kind of white noise to sleep, we sleep with the fan on in the spring, summer and fall and switch to a humidifier in the winter. It's to the point that I can't sleep without white noise at all...which makes staying in hotels interesting...if we are driving on vacation, I take a small fan with us everywhere...anyway, my sympathies. I spent years having trouble sleeping, esp. when I worked at IBM. It sucks and I hope you find a solution.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 06:25:15 AM »
using environmental as you explain is probably better, but you can start of with some ambient in the beginning and then move over the more steady environmental sounds.  Me myself has only been able to fall a sleep one time with music... and that was with the album Asianova - Suite Dreams ‎ (http://www.discogs.com/Asianova-Suite-Dreams/release/840510)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
I took half a Risperdal last night per my Psychiatrist for insomnia and slept like a baby, with no side effects.  Yay!!!

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
d o

besides some
ambient drift
this works for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv0LwXYAVVg

lethe dreaming         h