Author Topic: Laptop Cooling Pads  (Read 658 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Laptop Cooling Pads
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »
Just purchased this Zalman NC3000U Laptop cooling pad for my 17" Macbook Pro.....$43.  Seems the most power at the least db 17.  Not sure if Ive just bought a glorified spacer that would be better cooling me down or not. 

I have enjoyed my Macbook but for low volume mixing & mixing in general through monitors the fan adds way too much noise.  I see an iMac in my future but for now Im hoping this may cool things down a bit.

Thoughts? 

El culto

• View Profile
Re: Laptop Cooling Pads
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
Hi Julio,

as heat goes up, i don´t think this will improve a lot….my Macbook was going to be very hot on the keyboard…now i´ve installed 2x SSD (one by replacing the DVD) and the temperatures decreased massively. Though I have to say, I´m using a 2012 model while all the 2011 (and previous) models do had this problems about heating on the button. So, this cooling pad may work for you, but I think you may can improve it even more by using an complete aluminum heatsink (no fan needed) + replacing the HD by an SSD.

Greetings,
Tomas

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »
Ok Tomas, makes sense.  I did replace the HD with SSD but not the dvd drive....most of the heat is from the middle back towards the lcd to the left where the thunderbolt, USB & Firewire ports are.   No heat on the button here.  The heat sink sounds interesting. Can you post a link or describe what you mean.  I did see a thermpak heat absorption pad that seemed decent but people said that once it got warmed up after a few hours of heavy use it just acted like a blanket and made matters worse.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 08:02:02 AM »
Julio.

I have something like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/141243350254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.de/itm/351026813007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I´ve turned this block so the Macbook is lying on the flat side (you can´t see in the pictures above) - improves the heat issues at lot for me and, as side effect, the fan is also quite! Just keep an eye that the block has enough height (mine has 6 cm, but i think 4cm should be fine as well).

Greetings,
Tomas
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:03:35 AM by El culto »

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Jamie and I (dreamSTATE) use PC laptops and have been employing simple rubber spacers (about 3/4") which we slip under the back corners to allow more airflow and it works quite well.

Some artists performing with MACs at THE AMBiENT PiNG have had crashes from the extra heat of stage lights and such. Bases with fans like you have seem to help with that problem, so from my observations, this will be a help.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:44:14 AM »
Thanks for the link Tomas.....I see what you mean now.  Do you put anything between the heatsink and the computer to prevent metal on metal scratching.  I release direct contact is vital for heat transference.

Thanks for the confirmation and suggestions Scott.

I will report back and with results.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »
Cooling pad update......well for one thing the fan on this Zalman cooling pad is so quiet I had to hold the unit up to the light to check if it was on or off.  It is a single 6" fan that does move a lot of air.

Improvement.....not enough for my use.  I do believe it will extend the life of the the macbook and I have not had any hair dryer episodes so this is better but not what I am looking for more.

I did find an extruded aluminum heat sink company here in the usa...http://www.heatsinkusa.com/10-000/ A 10" x 15" x 1" piece will run around $53.

I am coming to release the laptop is not the best studio computer....perhaps if you perform and you want one computer it will surface but as a quite solution...not the best for audio.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 03:18:02 AM »
Do you put anything between the heatsink and the computer to prevent metal on metal scratching.  I release direct contact is vital for heat transference.

No i don´t have something between haven´t problems with scratches too as the body of those heatsink´s usually are flat. I did bought a 2nd one (another company) for my Mac Mini and it was also totally flat.

Greetings,
Tomas

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 03:22:55 AM »

I did find an extruded aluminum heat sink company here in the usa...http://www.heatsinkusa.com/10-000/ A 10" x 15" x 1" piece will run around $53.

That´s very expensive….also 1" isn´t really enough to get the heat away

I bought mine used on Ebay here in Germany - there were a lot of offers! Maybe ebay USA is the place to check….

Greetings,
Tomas
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:48:13 AM by El culto »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 05:18:26 AM »
I did have a look around ebay usa and found heatsinks that were even more expensive up to $150 for large ones......perhaps aluminum is more expensive this side of the atlantic ???.

The company I linked to has a 2 inch heigh extrusion but the price jumps to $98 for the size that would fit the bottom of the Macbook.

The way I see it.....New iMac 27" with good specs (SSD & Ram) $2500 +- or a $100 heatsink for a perfectly good 17" i7 Macbook Pro.

I will search around some more before I commit......thanks for all your help Tomas!

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
I picked up a pair of Targus that handle 17" lappies and has dual fans. It's pretty quiet, seems to be loud now (lately) till things are spun up but I am happy with it. Cost me I think $29.99 each via Amazon a couple yrs or so ago.

Mike