OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Art and Literature, Movies and TV

Ambient Movies

(1/2) > >>

Appeal to Novelty:
aka: Pure Film.

Or, just slow, atmospheric flicks.

Gerry ~ A friendship between two young men is tested when they go for a hike in a desert and forget to bring any water or food with them.

Director: Gus Van Sant
Writers: Casey Affleck, Matt Damon,
Stars: Casey Affleck, Matt Damon

Rated 6.3. / Parental Rating: R

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Samsara ~ Sequel to Baraka, filmed over nearly five years in twenty-five countries on five continents, and shot on seventy-millimetre film, Samsara
transports us to the varied worlds of sacred grounds, disaster zones, industrial complexes, and natural wonders.

Director: Ron Fricke
Writers: Ron Fricke (concept and treatment written by), Mark Magidson

Rated: 8.4/ Parental Rating: PG-13

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Like that, see?
What goodies do you enjoy quasi-nodding off to? ;)

mgriffin:
Actually, both directors you mention have several films that could be considered "ambient," with long atmospheric stretches.

Another director like this, and perhaps the director I think makes the best use of ambient soundscapes as background (as opposed to soundtrack music) is David Lynch.

jkn:
I find 'Lost in Translation' a very ambient  - let it wash over you type of movie.  As is, and I'm sure I'm alone in thinking this...  'Gosford Park'.  Both just kind of 'wash over me' and feel ambient.

Matthew Florianz:
Anything by Tarkovsky though that's probably an obvious one. Stalker is like watching a dream and Solyaris like reading a poem.

Jacob's Ladder could be seen as a drone/dark ambient trip. David Lynch's play with time and linearity, even mixing of characters indeed also a good one and darker and of course David Cronenberg's films come to mind with his play on perception.

Ingmar Bergman's work such as Persona.

Nicolas Roeg's Walkabout.

Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man.

Almost anything by Werner Herzog (Aguirre) especially if he talks. Encounters at the end of the World is gorgeous.
Seal Sounds from Encounters at the End of the World

Will have to watch Gerry too, good recommend, thanks : )

Boris Lelong:
Steven Soderbergh' Solaris definitely has an ambient quality, with its beautiful space shots, the slow pace of the story and Cliff Martinez's haunting music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLV6JrygUb0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version