Author Topic: Some Eventide H8000FW samples by me if some one is interested  (Read 1228 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I have finally after a few months starting to use the Eventide, I am still trying to learn how to use it, since it is a quite complex machine I must say, I really have to study the manual.

but anyway I did play around with some presets for about 10 minutes, it was just a quick demonstration for a friend on skype (if I  knew I would post it here I would probably make it more ambient oriented)..but why not share it with you too.. with some slight modification such as increased decay times change LP/HP filter.
My guitar has really old strings and is not intonated , and also the string height is too high so it is really hard to play it..
but that is not what it is about, just want to share how it sounds. Before I bought it I had big problems to find samples..

I can record more later,  I can play some music through it it too thru digital AES input.

I use Kemper amp and dual stero analogue into eventide then into rme hdspe aes (Eclipse AFC clock) at the computer then reaper..no processing added.

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/aj0zvszduj/eventide.mp3

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:32:49 PM by Immersion »

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Some Eventide H8000FW samples by me if some one is interested
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 05:17:42 AM »
Some great sounding presets, to be sure. They definitely inspire ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
Impressive it makes us think you are actually good :)

I've read a story about some guy that plugged an old nintendo to the eventide h8000 and the most amazing ambient came from the 'blip-blip'sounds.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »
Impressive it makes us think you are actually good :)

I've read a story about some guy that plugged an old nintendo to the eventide h8000 and the most amazing ambient came from the 'blip-blip'sounds.

it is spelled "r-e-v-e-r-b" , magic can happen when you have long decayed reverbs, and this time it is a lot of pitch shifting which makes it sound like "pads" with the reverb.  The delays helps gives spatial effects accross the 3D space.

I am not surprised that nintento sounds can make it sound like good ambient with a good reverb, that is my experience previously with my Lexicon reverb, that you can make pretty much EVERY sound into a good ambient piece...  it is not so much about the source but the actual result which becomes the new form.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 12:55:33 PM »
Some great sounding presets, to be sure. They definitely inspire ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, for listening and your comment/feedback!

Yes you are right about the inspirational factor... the eventide is really good in that sense in giving inspiration but also good tools to realize your ideas and a kind of flawless and effortless manner in real time.  I like that I can make music in real time, just like if it was a live session,  cause I want to keep this "flow" which is harder to reach or to get it to feel "authentic" when you cut and paste at least for me personally. Robert Rich and Steve Roach, other ambient musicians did inspire me to buy this unit, it seem most of my favourite ambient artists work this work flow with recording in real time as much as possible. I have been using Lexicon reverbs for a long time now, but I guess I will start using the eventide Reverbs more now..however I would say that either is better I think they complete each other in fact they both have unique properties.

You have Skype Altus ?
If any one likes to talk gear, musical recording ambient or anything feel free to add me on skype..
I do not have much people on my skype to talk with about these stuff..

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
So anyone with 5k for the eventide and a tin can can become an ambient artist? :)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »
So anyone with 5k for the eventide and a tin can can become an ambient artist? :)

Any one can become an ambient artists despite budget, gear or invested money. But I think there is no coincidence
that most of the ambient artists I personally like use Lexicon and Eventide gear, I guess it simply about preference what sound you prefer.  You seem to have that opinion that not every one can be an ambient artist or audio sculptor ? That is kind of patronizing opinion  in that case nothing I stand by since I think everyone can be an artist or musician according to his her owns ability.

I can only talk for myself personally, but I have been on the quest of getting the sound
I am looking after. I have gone thru different milestones,  when I got my Lexicon reverb a new universe did open up for sure, and I was unable to live without it honestly, using other things seemed like going a step back, when you reach that next level it is very hard to go back...
When I got it made me a lot easier to get the sound I wanted, and I could easily identify the "lexicon" character which I heard in steve roach albums for instance. I can only talk for me personally again but for me the eventide is one more milestone for me on my personal path to reach my musicial vision, with this unit I think most bits will fall to place from what I have been missing, I want personally for my personal stimulation have something that makes myself stimulated , I have come close with multiple plugins but the eventide effects is just for me hands down a big step up in all regards...and with that self regarding getting stimulated, this is a process also, it gets harder and harder to get stimulated you always strive for better and better sound, the solution for me was the Eventide, and I knew this already 2007 but it was not to 2013 I actually bought it.
I am happy for myself I did decided to invest this money...I will not regret it I have the feeling it might be my best buy since it will help me with all kinds of sound processing and just making music more "fun" in general to do with a better satisfaction experience.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:33:52 PM by Immersion »

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
Have you released some albums? I would like to listen to you work.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »

I am just like you who is in the process of building a studio step by step. I have a lot of material in demo level that I want to record, now with My eventide I can get the exact guitar sound I want so it helps me a lot.
In the coming 6 months I will mostly work, I have two jobs a full time day job but I also work at night some days so some days I will work double which I guess is quite inhumane, all to save up for new gear.  There is still a few more things I need, I do not have microphones yet, I want also a microphone do record my own field recordings, a new pre amp, a di box, a bass guitar to record bass to my tracks, a new 6 string guitar since I only have a 7 string (28.5  inch) which limit me to make certain type of music.

and a lot of more, but the important part is that I keep on writing a lot more demos, I have no real stress since my only vision is to get it as perfect as I can.  I have a few "big"  "life projects" I aim to do which I have had in my head for many years..   ambient is only one of my interest, I like extreme metal and a lot of other music..

If you send me a PM I can send you an ambient recording or a few if you are interested.

Also with that said even if I would had record multiple albums it is not likely I would even tell you since I Want to keep some things confidential as you might understand.  Many of my favourite bands are of "unknown" identity for some of my projects I prefer this approach since it does takes away the focus from all non relevant also takes away some distracting elements for an artists.  I do music all for myself, all I can say I am eager now when I got more tools to use to finally try to record all my demo material I have saved up for so many years.  My ambient music feels not so private so  I have no problem to share publicly.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:08:19 PM by Immersion »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 03:05:35 PM »

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/9m8iwkv3eb/Ambient_028.mp3 here is one recording I have done 4 years ago.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:40:53 AM »

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/9m8iwkv3eb/Ambient_028.mp3 here is one recording I have done 4 years ago.

Listened to this and it has some nice moments, I assume that with the Eventide you'll be aiming for a clearer sound and a longer piece?

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
I think the quality on that sample was superb. Beautiful ambient guitar textures.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »

Listened to this and it has some nice moments, I assume that with the Eventide you'll be aiming for a clearer sound and a longer piece?

Thank you!
Yes a more clear sound and good for long decayed reverbs, also I wanted the best delays possible..the delays are so important.. and the delays are the best I have heard and so transparent.

I bought the Eventide for general sound processing, but also for my guitar, but also to process software synths, in my DAW before I had very long effect chains to achieve something similar to the "eventide" sound which did use a lot of cpu,  so this unit will also help me to offload the CPU since I rely more on external processing.  My CPU was constantly maxed before which could often result in distracting missounds and cracking sounds, now with external sound processing I have more headroom for sure...Also..I prefer to have a work flow when I do not rely so much on plugins atleast not 10 different plugins to achieve one sound  for a synth, it takes away focus for me. I also wanted the best effects possible, which I was not able to do with software,  I have been trying to emulate the eventide sound for long but I Think personally it is a big difference now with a real Eventide box...it is very inspiring box..perfect for ambient music..guitar and sound processing in general and it can output almost mastering quality sound.  Regarding the effects there is no weak link what I can find every element is top notch so a very good long term investment for sure, only thing I do regret is that I did not buy it sooner.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:03:47 PM by Immersion »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »
I think the quality on that sample was superb. Beautiful ambient guitar textures.

Thanks for the feedback and taking time to listen! :)
Yes I am very pleased with the guitar sound too, as a guitarist I felt very excited
since it can produce the guitar sounds I have always been dreaming of...very inspiring box for me..

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
I must say that I'm really happy with the results of the Valhalla and Audio Damage EOS VST's. I also own a outboard lexicon pcm 70, and to be honest I prefer the vst's...

They are really clean with low cpu usage, I can put different settings in a bunch of tracks and listen everything live.

I'll probably use the lexicon with a vintage analog synth, like a roland juno 60 or similar.

I will use them for sure, until I develop a more refined taste like you, but I don't see myself spending 5k on an eventide in the next 5 years, even though I have budget.

Your tests sound good.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »
I must say that I'm really happy with the results of the Valhalla and Audio Damage EOS VST's. I also own a outboard lexicon pcm 70, and to be honest I prefer the vst's...

They are really clean with low cpu usage, I can put different settings in a bunch of tracks and listen everything live.

I'll probably use the lexicon with a vintage analog synth, like a roland juno 60 or similar.

I will use them for sure, until I develop a more refined taste like you, but I don't see myself spending 5k on an eventide in the next 5 years, even though I have budget.

Your tests sound good.

You will notice that most software plugins might be cleaner, since the converters are quite nousey and color the sound a lot, for a lot of people this effect is a highly desirable  one, it is a "vintage reverb" not a clean sounding reverb.  You can get the PCM 91 kind of cheap too which are up to todays starts..and are almost as clean... that is the reverb that Steve Roach has been using for a lot of his best albums during 90s and probably very long after that.. not what he use now day..but I am pretty sure he is not using the same reverb anymore (I prefer his sound he had a few years ago)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:26:05 PM by Immersion »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 02:16:43 PM »
the sound might be clean with vst/au but not as clear as hardware.

Why I said vst was cleaner was that PCM 70 have no digital output so there is DA conversion going on which colour the sound a lot.

comparing digital and software is no difference it is all about the algorithms. but there is no    
coincidence that the best hardware reverbs are usually hardware, is mostly to protect financial interests and their algorithms from pirates it is actually a good method, it works like a dongle since you can pirate copy hardware. Lexicon probably regret they released their algorithms as software.. it might put the whole company in bankruptcy, I do not see much future in that company unfortunately, their algorithms are still based on 30 years old algorithms that is slightly refined only, so it is mainly their legacy that has been keeping them alive.  I really wonder if they will release another high end product or just focus on the budget market from now on.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:25:36 PM by Immersion »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »
one short thing I want to add is that I think atleast Bricasti Claim that their is not enough CPU power to run their algoritms cause the dsp chips are very good at those instructions they are designed to do.. I think Bricasti is one of its kind though and that most other reverbs can run on x86 processor.

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »
A bit off-topic but why did you sold the Xpander?

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
A bit off-topic but why did you sold the Xpander?

In all honesty It did not meet my expectations, I am sure I would be more impressed with the matrix 12.
I still miss the Xpander but it was not worth it for me, it was also a ticking time bomb that could collapse any minute... with a lot of sound processing the source gets less and less important you can compensate it with processing to make it to have some of the same characteristics...  the Xpander would be nice to have but it was not what I thought it would be and what it is for steve roach..for steve it seem that the Xpanders are the only synth in this universe.. I also can get analogue characteristics  if I run it thru a pre amp and such.. so many ways to improve and shape the signal of any synth..