Author Topic: Loren Nerell / Mark Seelig: Tree of Life  (Read 521 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Loren Nerell / Mark Seelig: Tree of Life
« on: April 26, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »

PRO299
Loren Nerell / Mark Seelig: Tree of Life
Limited edition of 500
Loren and Mark’s electro-acoustic debut merges the ambient soundworlds of Southeast Asia, North & South America with the spiritual influences of Bali and India. One part droney soundscape, one part tribal deliberation, and one part ethnological exploration,Tree of Life expands into a transformative experience. Loren’s deep understanding of Balinese music, coupled with his expertise in sound engineering, effortlessly complements Mark’s Bansuri flutes and harmonic overtone vocals and chants. Supported by Sarangi maestro Pankaj Mishra from India, and up-and-coming percussionist Max Link from Germany, the release follows up on ideas sparked during Loren and Mark’s first time on stage together at the 2010 SoundQuest Fest in Tucson Arizona.
“The Tree of Life is a nearly universal symbol found in many different spiritual and mythological traditions around the world,” Loren explains. “It symbolizes the interconnection of all life to our planet. From these many different traditions the names for each song were taken, many of which literally mean the Tree of Life.”
Tree of Life is a mesmerizing blend of ancient instruments, haunting voices, and whispers of Balinese and Indian wisdom traditions woven together with ambient field recordings; it takes the listener on a journey of life and its endless interconnections of this planet.

1. Wacah Chan
2. Cintamani
3. Yggdrasil
4. Kayon
5. Acacia
6. Arbor Vitae

You can download a copy now at bandcamp http://projektrecords.bandcamp.com/album/tree-of-life

Or pick it up at a special price as part of a duo package with Byron and Mark Seelig new album Intention here http://www.projekt.com/store/product/pro00299x2/
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Loren Nerell / Mark Seelig: Tree of Life
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
sounds good! as always I am realling looking forward to hear your cds Loren!

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:39:54 AM »
I can't miss this one!!! Just ordered "Tree Of Life" and "Intention" CDs as a combo back from Byron Metcalf. I am quite sure both CDs will be strong competitors for Best of 2014 releases!!! I really look forward to dive deeply into these high-spirited shamanic performances!!!

Richard

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »

World Premeir of the new album will be on SomaFM's Deep Space One channel this Tuesday. Here is the link to listen to in:

http://somafm.com/deepspaceone/
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »
Tree of Life is on SomaFM right now. Click on the link above to hear the new album.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
Here's what I wrote about this one on my facebook page:

Tree of Life by Loren Nerell and Mark Seelig is hands down one of the best ambient albums I've heard in a long time. I've been fortunate to hear early versions and the final master before release... so I've heard this many times over the last few months.

The album is truly a "journey" - it starts slow and minimal - gorgeous hints of percussion, drones and textural background. Mark Seelig plays a jaw dropping flute line through much of the first half of the album. The blending of the flute with the backdrop is so dead on perfect.

The percussion later builds into a section where the percussion and rhythm comes to the forefront. Recorded partially in a group setting when Mark and family from Germany were visiting Loren in California.

And then... we hit the moment where the percussion comes to a sudden stop, and we drop into the brilliant gamelan playing by Loren Nerell. Wow. Simply... wow. So deliciously tasteful.

Highly, highly recommended.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
Here's what I wrote about this one on my facebook page:

Tree of Life by Loren Nerell and Mark Seelig is hands down one of the best ambient albums I've heard in a long time. I've been fortunate to hear early versions and the final master before release... so I've heard this many times over the last few months.

The album is truly a "journey" - it starts slow and minimal - gorgeous hints of percussion, drones and textural background. Mark Seelig plays a jaw dropping flute line through much of the first half of the album. The blending of the flute with the backdrop is so dead on perfect.

The percussion later builds into a section where the percussion and rhythm comes to the forefront. Recorded partially in a group setting when Mark and family from Germany were visiting Loren in California.

And then... we hit the moment where the percussion comes to a sudden stop, and we drop into the brilliant gamelan playing by Loren Nerell. Wow. Simply... wow. So deliciously tasteful.

Highly, highly recommended.
I have to agree with John. This is one of the best ambient releases I have heard in quite some time. I recommend getting this in the 2-pack offered from Projekt including Byron Nelson and Mark Seelig's Intention. These two cd's go together very nicely.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.