Author Topic: My review of "Arboreal" CDr by Robert Davies  (Read 293 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Arboreal" CDr by Robert Davies
« on: May 08, 2014, 06:35:35 AM »

Robert Davies "Arboreal" CDr

"Arboreal" was released at the beginning of November, 2012, on Robert's usual DataObscura mainstay and it's supported by an eye-catching front cover image. As far I remember, it was his second album during 2012, following "The Alchemy Of Nature". Robert Scott Davies is a very crafted soundscaper and painter, who continuously keeps on impressing me with his gorgeously embracing ambience, always filled with his trademark insignias of deeply contemplative tranquilness.

10-minute opener and title track, "Arboreal", invites the listener into hauntingly soothing forested pathways, where monochromatic sheet, guarding above with strongly mesmerizing intensity, is softly merged with balmy natural sounds. Robert is always very careful about polishing every detail and then precisely sculpting them into gently evolving and calmly cascading textures. "Streamside Sentience" also contains richly colored field recordings, this time led by serene sounds of water flowing though rocks. The drones are sparser, but more active, moving through pleasingly mild undulations, which include a few rather dissonant reverberations and apparitions. But the overall feel is still very compact and harmonious. A truly masterful composition and enjoyable along the creek walking!!! "Field Of Muted Pastels", as indicated by its title, shifts into more mysterious and mindscaping terrains, where the prime monotonous motif is constantly permeated by various oscillating sounds, piercing, swirling or humming. Bird and insect chirps occasionally sneak in to soften the main theme. Certainly another ear-catching piece!!! The next track, "Cavern Shallows", safely remains in shadowy zones, meticulously evoking cavernous mysteries. The listener is deeply immersed by expansive drone sceneries crossed with eerie background rumblings and placid sounds of dripping water from the darkness. Subterranean sonic paradise is exquisitely unfolded in its full magnificence!!! "Nestled Feather Sanctuary" immediately grasps you with its dense massive hums, while cicadas excel with their high-pitched drone performance. Other quieter environmental recordings emerge here and there. But the leading dronescapade sustains its spellbindingly transcendental dimension, this is undoubtedly another pure sonic medicine for your mind and body!!! And I like so much its track title too. "Earthen Haven" is driven by a free-floating, monumental drift, augmented by distant, elusively swirling cicada-infused noises. A gloriously immense drone glides gracefully across divine elevations, spirals and outbursts. A drone inferno? A grand finale? Call it whatever you want, it's a truly exceptional conclusion of this masterful album!!!

As usual for Robert Davies, his sound sculptings are rather minimal, but enormously effective when it comes to capturing a deeply relieving and magnificently auralscaping atmosphere with excellently balanced lighter and darker subtleties. And always having that distinctive earthy touch for easy recognition of his signature sound. This gifted virtuoso, based in Ithaca, New York, is definitely one of the best kept secrets on the drone ambient scene!!! And please note, in the meantime Robert Davies has released another two solo albums, "Forgotten Harbors" on DataObscura (September, 2013) and "Woodland Alcoves" as a special item on Hic Sunt Leones (December, 2013), plus on the top of that another amazing collaboration with Anthony Paul Kerby as The Winterhouse, entitled "Gathering Autumn", a double album on DataObscura (January, 2014). Still not enough infos? Then keep an eye on the upcoming news from DataObscura, because Robert has a new album in the pipeline...

Richard Gürtler (May 04, 2014, Bratislava, Slovakia)