Author Topic: My review of "Reflection Of Time" CD by John Lyell  (Read 195 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Reflection Of Time" CD by John Lyell
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:28:01 PM »

John Lyell "Reflection Of Time" CD

"Reflection Of Time" CD by John Lyell is out since March 31st, 2014, as a self-release by the artist himself. I must say that the name of John Lyell is a brand new to me, but this is already 5th album by this US ambient composer, based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. First two albums are collaborations with Brent A. Reiland, "Wormholes" (1998) and "Synthetic Universe" (2002), while the following recordings were released solo. "Dimensions" in 2006 and "Eternity" in 2012. Shame on me I didn't discover John Lyell much sooner, but I always keep on saying, it's better later than never!!! "Reflection Of Time" comes in 4-panel digipak with catchy front cover image executed by John, who is also a crafted digital art designer. I also have to add that John Lyell is a musician since 1984 and performed as a guitar player with various rock and hard rock bands. A quite interesting transition, so let's take this deep spatial voyage.

"The Deep Unknown" unfolds quite briskly with highly magnetizing texture delicately melting colder cybernetic sequencer motifs with quietly tranquil and panoramically expansive synth undulations, occasionally interrupted by alien sighs or invaded by sublime silence. Wow, a very strong launching by John Lyell!!! "Above The Stratos" cascades through shimmering hissy terrains, pierced by unpredicted fragments and outbursts, raw or high-tech, reaching a fairly reverberating magnitude. All guarded by mesospheric phantoms. "Dreaming In Sine Waves" is by far more calmer and minimal, moving through delicately detailed dreamy crescendos, the wind sings its anthem and counterpoints with seraphic chants. "A Far Away Place" quickly dives into harsher drone hums coupled with massive seashore sounds. Emerging ethereal traceries with awaken nostalgic memories intricately nourish the contrasting colors. "Space Ethereal" relieves the atmozone with serenely progressing contemplative space tinkles, while alluring angelic choirs hang above and once in a while intermingle with sighing wind. A truly peaceful and warmly enveloping composition!!! "Dreaming In Sine Waves 2" keeps on the similar path as its predecessor, although tranquilly embracing tinkling sounds are enhanced by infrequent sharper infusions and shift the listener into mysteriously infinite realms to explore its riveting secrets. The title composition "Reflection Of Time" quietly meanders through gorgeously boundless spheres, when melting mesmerizingly circling bass sounds with diaphanous tinkles euphoniously popping up. But also soothingly surrounding synth layers rise here and there and together with scattered cybernetic swirls, grumbles and sighs enchantingly illuminate the flight path. Fully loaded with subtle elegance!!! "Crossing The Barrier" returns to overwhelmingly unfathomable drone domains, enhanced by remote hissy vibrations and sparse high-pitched expansions. Tremendously mindscaping phantasmal voices contemplate throughout. A flawless closer!!!

John Lyell with his album "Reflection Of Time" has completely surpassed all my expectations, this is definitely a very refreshing and welcome addition to the pantheon of sophisticated deep space monuments, both, aurally and visually. "Reflection Of Time" is a definite must-have for all aficionados, who are searching for fascinatingly multifarious outer space odyssey. Kudos to John Lyell!!! By the way, the mastering job was given to Robert Rich, who has already polished with his engineering skills previous two recordings of John Lyell.

Richard Gürtler (May 08, 2014, Bratislava, Slovakia)