Author Topic: What synths did O÷phoi used?  (Read 2189 times)

Crepuscule

• View Profile
What synths did O÷phoi used?
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
I really enjoy listening to his works, unfortunately I can't find any info about what gear did he used.

I see a Fizmo, Korg Z1, Waldorf Q and a Korg MS 2000 in his most famous photo and a bunch of dat machines?

I know some artists here collaborated with him, so maybe you know more than I do :)

Rest in Peace.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:27:20 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
Re: What synths did O÷phoi used?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »
I can not remember for the life of me what Gigi had in his studio when I was there. I do know that he used a fair bit of sampling and sound worlds recorded to various DATs and CD recorders which he then manipulated and recombined into his finished products almost always through real time performance. I will try and find my photos from that era and see if anything jars my memory.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
That would be cool. Thanks.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »
I am pretty sure he did use Oberheim too..
Maybe go thru his old posts on the forum, he was quite active on this forum, I am sure he did mention the synths he did use.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 11:28:58 AM »
Gigi used a lot of different synths over time, he always seemed to be exploring new synths and selling others.

I have his novation supernova rack module - he reset it to factory presets before sending it to me....a pity given events....I too will check any photos or lists he sent me.
Gigi said the novation had been used to record 'Dreams' and 'The Dreaming of Shells' amongst others.

He valued highly the TCM3000 reverb/effects unit.

He also used a particular Sony minidisc with 'huge' range of pitch control......

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
I am pretty sure he did use Oberheim too..
Maybe go thru his old posts on the forum, he was quite active on this forum, I am sure he did mention the synths he did use.

Really? I think I saw somewhere a Dave Smith Polyevolver... But he seemed more digital oriented.

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
Gigi used a lot of different synths over time, he always seemed to be exploring new synths and selling others.

I have his novation supernova rack module - he reset it to factory presets before sending it to me....a pity given events....I too will check any photos or lists he sent me.
Gigi said the novation had been used to record 'Dreams' and 'The Dreaming of Shells' amongst others.

He valued highly the TCM3000 reverb/effects unit.

He also used a particular Sony minidisc with 'huge' range of pitch control......

Thanks.

Robert Rich uses the TCM3000 too. I presume he didn't used computers, because his sound have this low-fi quality that in some tracks is really creepy.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:13:12 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:25 AM »
Gigi hated computers for music.......

I've never thought of his sound as lo-fi, what tracks are you thinking of?

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »
Well I can't point one right now, but I remember listening to some tracks and listening a lot of 'hiss' in the background. Some appear un-layered. This is not a critique is actually interesting because the sound seem more alive and not 'studio made' like he was recording this weird worlds with a microphone on site :)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:04 AM »
OK

As Paul said earlier Gigi preferred to make music as live as possible, so often there were no overdubs or post recording manipulation, which is one of the things that made our collaberation interesting...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
he also used Orville and h8000fw in the end I remember. He was quite overwhelmed by the h8000fw reverbs  I remember from his old posts.

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »
Ok I saw all his posts and not much info besides a jd990, nord modular g2 and korg wavestation. Also he said he was an hardcore synth programmer from scratch, no use of presets.

So his known synth list after some more research (Updated list 27-05-14):

Korg Z1
Novation Supernova II (at some point)
Waldorf Q
Yamaha FS1R
Korg MS 2000 R
Nord Lead 3 Rack
Clavia Nord Lead 1
Access Virus B
Alesis Andromeda?
Korg Trinity
Waldorf XTK
V-Synth XT
Roland JP-8000
Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Nord Modular G2
Kawai K5000 S
Ensoniq Fizmo
Dave Smith Polyevolver?
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg Triton?

If anyone can add more to de list I would appreciate :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:29:00 AM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »
Just a few personal notes based on work experiences:

I was working with him on 2 projectsůone was to contribute on a compilation and the other one was about a RMX of a track he did with Klaus Wiese.

He clearly wasn┤t up to date with technology and didm┤t had knowledge of using it correctly. As for the contribution: he finally "adjusted" the track by volume in a weird way by decreasing the volume to approximately -8 db. For the Rmx it was even more complicated as he didn┤t know how to handle file transfer properly. In both cases it ended up that he treated those files within his setup and it ended up to have them re-converted (!) on his mixing setup. I can clearly tell, that the sound of both files in the final result were heavily suffering by wrong technical treatments. Finally the Rmx was never released, as i told him that i can┤t accept the bad technically quality of his treatments he made on the original file.

For the equipment: he did own a lot of synths over the time, but from all of our discussions we had, i clearly felt it wasn┤t a pure believe concerning the options and possible sounds you can create by them..it was much more based on a "gear lust" because it was very easy for him to afford any of them.

I assume most people don┤t like to hear this, but i do believe into balancing things, when someone had the chance to have a closer insight view.

Greetings,
Tomas

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
He said many times he wasn't a musician or an audio engineer. What is most intriguing, a person with no technical skills in both areas, but still could make such deep ambient. Anyway this is an interesting subject, pure creativity vs making music by the book.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:33:53 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »
I'm not the biggest Oophoi fan but yeah, he was open about his lack of technical knowledge. I think he even called himself just an "amateur" in one interview IIRC.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 12:48:36 AM »

I was working with him on 2 projectsůone was to contribute on a compilation and the other one was about a RMX of a track he did with Klaus Wiese.

He clearly wasn┤t up to date with technology and didm┤t had knowledge of using it correctly. As for the contribution: he finally "adjusted" the track by volume in a weird way by decreasing the volume to approximately -8 db. For the Rmx it was even more complicated as he didn┤t know how to handle file transfer properly. In both cases it ended up that he treated those files within his setup and it ended up to have them re-converted (!) on his mixing setup. I can clearly tell, that the sound of both files in the final result were heavily suffering by wrong technical treatments. Finally the Rmx was never released, as i told him that i can┤t accept the bad technically quality of his treatments he made on the original file.

For the equipment: he did own a lot of synths over the time, but from all of our discussions we had, i clearly felt it wasn┤t a pure believe concerning the options and possible sounds you can create by them..it was much more based on a "gear lust" because it was very easy for him to afford any of them.

I assume most people don┤t like to hear this, but i do believe into balancing things, when someone had the chance to have a closer insight view.

Greetings,
Tomas

Hi Thomas, your comments re the RMX etc do seem a little harsh - mainly as they are not related to the question of synth use. Gigi never claimed to be able to use computers etc. Given that self acknoweldged lack of 'expertise', his ability to create the music he did was something that I found special.

Also I had not noticed anyone getting into hero worship, overtly 'singing his praises', it has been a quiet respectful discussion with someone asking what synths he used.

Re the gear lust and his belief in possible sounds from equipment. I can only comment that your experiences would be the opposite of mine. I had numerous discussions with him about gear when i was trying, as I still am, to improve and increase (on a very small, usually non existent budget) the equipment I have and use.
   Gigi always recommended fully exploring what I already had, exploring my creativity with what I had and only then think about changing or increasing. He also encouraged me to think 'sideways' for want of a better description, not just going for bigger or better synths or effects etc.
   He did give advice on equipment that I generally found invaluable, even if i did not agree with all of it (he did not like the TC Fireworx effects unit - which I am really enjoying using). He said that being able to be creative with minimal equipment is more valuable than being uncreative with lots of it.

I suspect he was a bit of a techno-phobe in relation to computers. In that sense I have similar feelings. I have yet to explore midi....I am sure it is very useful and assists with creative music making, but I just can't get my head round it and no one I know locally to show me (how I learn best)

I am under no illusion that he was an angel. But he was as human as all of us and I would be very mean not to take that into account. I know if I had enough money I'm sure I'd be very tempted to buy all sorts of expensive stuff, and maybe it would end up an albatross around my neck.

I know that if I won the lottery i would definitely spend more on a hi-fi than a car.......

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 01:21:16 AM »
Who cares what he used, the end result is all that matters to me.  There was a warmth to his creations that many with more advanced gear would never tap into.  Just because you have the most expensive guitar does not make you a better player.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 03:21:48 AM »
For 'gear-heads' it's always interesting to know about how work was created, but it really isn't the primary thing. It's the ideas and imagination involved that is of more interest to me.

Eno described himslef as a non-musician (which I think was a tad disingenuous on his part). Gear fixation can be a blind alley, in my view. 

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 04:29:19 AM »
For a short period he used also an Alesis Andromeda

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »

Greetings,
Tomas

I do not how this is relevant at all ?  The only thing that is relevant is his the output not the process. In my book he still rise above most ambient artists and he is in the top 5 for me.  His music had really strong qualities and abilities to dissolve your mind and conciousness and take you to inner places you never been before.

Regarding remixing the file maybe it is about taste,  For me oophoi had a more lo fi vintage sound too, maybe he did want to have that character instead of the first maybe more clean mix.   But I can understand what you mean, but sometimes it is not always what sounds the "Best" that is the best"  to dirty things up and make them sound more lo fi to create and different atmosphere can be desirable.  So using incorrect technical methods in the remixing process can be creative and good.
I use a lot of stuff in my chain which would be considered non-correct according the the school book.

I would love to have heard the final and the original mix and see which I like most, I have a feeling that it is a bout taste..
I am a big fan of Asianova but I can understand that most ambient people just think it sound bad.. for me it sounds amazing..even though very lofi.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:34:34 AM by Ekstasis »