Author Topic: What synths did O÷phoi used?  (Read 2028 times)

El culto

• View Profile
Re: What synths did O÷phoi used?
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
Quote from: Seren

Hi Thomas, your comments re the RMX etc do seem a little harsh - mainly as they are not related to the question of synth use. Gigi never claimed to be able to use computers etc. Given that self acknoweldged lack of 'expertise', his ability to create the music he did was something that I found special.

Also I had not noticed anyone getting into hero worship, overtly 'singing his praises', it has been a quiet respectful discussion with someone asking what synths he used.

Re the gear lust and his belief in possible sounds from equipment. I can only comment that your experiences would be the opposite of mine. I had numerous discussions with him about gear when i was trying, as I still am, to improve and increase (on a very small, usually non existent budget) the equipment I have and use.
   Gigi always recommended fully exploring what I already had, exploring my creativity with what I had and only then think about changing or increasing. He also encouraged me to think 'sideways' for want of a better description, not just going for bigger or better synths or effects etc.
   He did give advice on equipment that I generally found invaluable, even if i did not agree with all of it (he did not like the TC Fireworx effects unit - which I am really enjoying using). He said that being able to be creative with minimal equipment is more valuable than being uncreative with lots of it.

I suspect he was a bit of a techno-phobe in relation to computers. In that sense I have similar feelings. I have yet to explore midi....I am sure it is very useful and assists with creative music making, but I just can't get my head round it and no one I know locally to show me (how I learn best)

I am under no illusion that he was an angel. But he was as human as all of us and I would be very mean not to take that into account. I know if I had enough money I'm sure I'd be very tempted to buy all sorts of expensive stuff, and maybe it would end up an albatross around my neck.

I know that if I won the lottery i would definitely spend more on a hi-fi than a car.......

Hi Seren,

i simply shared my experiences working with himůthats all! If it was different for you, great!

Quote from: Seren
Gigi always recommended fully exploring what I already had, exploring my creativity with what I had and only then think about changing or increasing.

I┤m sorry to say, but that┤s exactly the opposite of what he was doingůhe switched his equipment all the time in a very short period (have to say again, he was finically be able to do so). So how someone can recommend something to others, if the person don┤t do it themselves?

Anyway, my comment wasn┤t meant at all to bring his value down in any way, but to give a more balanced view from someone working with him.

By all your history with him, you may be a bit biased when it comes to critics i┤ve shared before and that┤s understandable. On the other hand, i do believe we all here can be sincere to share our experiences straightly forward.

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
well let him rest in peace...

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »
Just a few personal notes based on work experiences:

I was working with him on 2 projectsůone was to contribute on a compilation and the other one was about a RMX of a track he did with Klaus Wiese.

He clearly wasn┤t up to date with technology and didm┤t had knowledge of using it correctly. As for the contribution: he finally "adjusted" the track by volume in a weird way by decreasing the volume to approximately -8 db. For the Rmx it was even more complicated as he didn┤t know how to handle file transfer properly. In both cases it ended up that he treated those files within his setup and it ended up to have them re-converted (!) on his mixing setup. I can clearly tell, that the sound of both files in the final result were heavily suffering by wrong technical treatments. Finally the Rmx was never released, as i told him that i can┤t accept the bad technically quality of his treatments he made on the original file.

For the equipment: he did own a lot of synths over the time, but from all of our discussions we had, i clearly felt it wasn┤t a pure believe concerning the options and possible sounds you can create by them..it was much more based on a "gear lust" because it was very easy for him to afford any of them.

I assume most people don┤t like to hear this, but i do believe into balancing things, when someone had the chance to have a closer insight view.

Greetings,
Tomas

I do not how this is relevant at all ?  The only thing that is relevant is his the output not the process. In my book he still rise above most ambient artists and he is in the top 5 for me.  His music had really strong qualities and abilities to dissolve your mind and conciousness and take you to inner places you never been before.

Regarding remixing the file maybe it is about taste,  For me oophoi had a more lo fi vintage sound too, maybe he did want to have that character instead of the first maybe more clean mix.   But I can understand what you mean, but sometimes it is not always what sounds the "Best" that is the best"  to dirty things up and make them sound more lo fi to create and different atmosphere can be desirable.  So using incorrect technical methods in the remixing process can be creative and good.
I use a lot of stuff in my chain which would be considered non-correct according the the school book.

I would love to have heard the final and the original mix and see which I like most, I have a feeling that it is a bout taste..
I am a big fan of Asianova but I can understand that most ambient people just think it sound bad.. for me it sounds amazing..even though very lofi.

For me he's the best ambient artist.

He explored other worlds like no one else. Maybe the fact he knew that the end of his life was near, made him explore ambient  music like no one else. I think it was more than music it was also a fear of the unknown, translated into music.

I don't really care what methods he used, especially how accurate they were. But what tools he used could be interesting.

Some of the most intriguing tracks from him was ''An Ever-Changing Horizon'' and ''The Goddess Chant-Prophecy'' I would love to know what tools he used for that.

Anyway I can only speculate now.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:14:23 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 12:32:42 AM »
Hi Tomas, as I said - I don't have the illusion that Gigi (or anyone else) was an angel - he was a fallible human being like the rest of us, with his own foibles and stupidities, excellences and integrities.

I just felt that the tone of your comments relating to the RMX and technical expertise did not fit in with that of the thread - which had was 'what synths did he use'. Especially as Gigi always said he did not have or want expertise in those aspects of technology (no matter how much he spent on synths or anything else).

If the thread had been  - what sort of rate did Gigi change his gear? or Does having lots of money spoil your creativity? or Was Gigi any good at remixing? then they would have sat more comfortably. I may or may not have joined in wioth different comments and observations.

I suspect all of us - if the focus of 'what was it like to work with (insert your own name)? thread would have a range of responses - as would be expected. I have no problem with people being critical of Gigi, or myself, or anyone else.

Are his finances really a matter of importance?

For a short period of time I did some reviewing for E-ditions. I always felt that if I could say nothing positive about an album I was listening I would prefer to say nothing - not wanting to denigrate another's creativity. I tended to think that not liking an album was more a matter of personal taste and possibly a reflection of my own lack of understanding.

In forums i try to follow the same principal.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 05:24:32 AM »
I really enjoy listening to his works, unfortunately I can't find any info about what gear did he used.

I see a Fizmo, Korg Z1, Waldorf Q and a Korg MS 2000 in his most famous photo and a bunch of dat machines?

I know some artists here collaborated with him, so maybe you know more than I do :)

Just want to say (as moderator), that Tomas' response seems quite relevant to this initial question.
Lets not get into personal wrangling.  Be cool   8)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
I really enjoy listening to his works, unfortunately I can't find any info about what gear did he used.

I see a Fizmo, Korg Z1, Waldorf Q and a Korg MS 2000 in his most famous photo and a bunch of dat machines?

I know some artists here collaborated with him, so maybe you know more than I do :)

Just want to say (as moderator), that Tomas' response seems quite relevant to this initial question.
Lets not get into personal wrangling.  Be cool   8)

If Gigi was alive and did read the post about his " technical incompetence" I am sure he would see it as a personal attack...
Anyway he have no chance to defend himself... I do not find the the "technical perspective" is valid, it is the music and it's energies that count not the process he used or he if he did use a non correct (if that exist) technical method.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »
Quote from: Ekstasis

I do not find the the "technical perspective" is valid, it is the music and it's energies that count not the process he used or he if he did use a non correct (if that exist) technical method.

Hearing this from the person who┤s praising here all the time "clear chain", "best sound quality", "best converters", "clean reverb tail" etc makes it a bit funny for me  ;D

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »

I do not find the the "technical perspective" is valid, it is the music and it's energies that count not the process he used or he if he did use a non correct (if that exist) technical method.

Hearing this from the person who┤s praising here all the time "clear chain", "best sound quality", "best converters", "clean reverb tail" etc makes it a bit funny for me  ;D

Greetings,
Tomas

So you really care about the process when you put on your headphones and listen to the music ?
it is the final output that matters not the technical aspect of the creating process, there is no right and wrong for a creative artist.
I see music from a artistic perspective not from a technical point of view it is what meets my ears that is the essence.
I think you confuse the creating process with the actual listening experience.

I do not like the "schooled/trained producer"  methodology, who says that music must be as loud as possible and always to use compressors since that is what the school book tell you,  for me it should be about turn of the lights and let your ears  and non intellectual sense guide your artistic decisions. I despise all this schooled and trained producer people who are here to say what is write and wrong, they are not good artists rules are made to be broken. 

The argument of using best converters, revervbs and all other aspect of the sound chain is it will give you better control, I think I have explained the concept many times already.  I find about funny that you do not understand that simple concept.
I want to shape the sound according to my own sense, if I want very clean sound I can do that if I want very dirty and lofi sound I can get that, it gives you artistic freedom. If I was stuck with a behringer Reverb it would be a limiting factor for me, since all my music would sound like a behringer reverb, just one example, since you are an artist I should not need to tell you.
  All to its own, use whatever method and concept that fits you best and I use mine, and I strongly like Opphois methodology so full respect to him...

Think what you want about Oophois methods I think his music is superior to most ambient as I said he is in the top 5 for me..
I especially like Signals from the Great beyond...

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
 :) All has been said!

Just one point: For a better understanding of my last post, it may be helpful to check all your post previously made here. Remember, Google will not forget  ;)

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »

Just one point: For a better understanding of my last post, it may be helpful to check all your post previously made here. Remember, Google will not forget  ;)

Greetings,
Tomas

yes you are right all has been said many times. We obviously have totally different perspectives. It is fine by me honestly. What I do not like is that you interfere in with other methods, I find it disrespectful, I have respect for all methods, I think your post about Oophoi was disrespectful since you criticize his artistic process and methodology.
I strongly believe there is no right and wrong methodology so I do not like your "macho" attitude about it, it shows disrespect to other artists.  All artists use their own methodology and creative process  I think it is low by you to disrespect other artists methods and creative process.  If Gigi was alive I doubt you posted such post, but I think it is even more low to post it now. He might not be a technical mastermind or pop producer but he was a sonic painter mastermind.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 01:17:30 PM »

Greetings,
Tomas

yes you are right all has been said many times. We obviously have totally different perspectives. It is fine by me honestly. What I do not like is that you interfere in with other methods, I find it disrespectful, I have respect for all methods, I think your post about Oophoi was disrespectful since you criticize his artistic process and methodology.
I strongly believe there is no right and wrong methodology so I do not like your "macho" attitude about it, it shows disrespect to other artists.  All artists use their own methodology and creative process  I think it is low by you to disrespect other artists methods and creative process.  If Gigi was alive I doubt you posted such post, but I think it is even more low to post it now. He might not be a technical mastermind or pop producer but he was a sonic painter mastermind.

See it as you have a need for it!

I can┤t help anymore if you don┤t understand the points i┤ve made and expressed by experiences. Don┤t worry, i have no fear to express my opinion independently of someone  "being there" or not. I┤m perfectly aware about the human way of "defending" believing against the so called "devils", but as you know the world is full of different opinions and thats great  :D

Just be a bit more relaxed!

Greetings,
Tomas

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »
Let's let the attack portion of this otherwise really interesting thread go, please.

John [ Moderator ]

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »
Let's let the attack portion of this otherwise really interesting thread go, please.

John [ Moderator ]

Hello John (Moderator),

so far i can see here an expressive discussion onlyůwhich kind of attacks you mean?

Greetings,
Tomas

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »

Greetings,
Tomas

So you really care about the process when you put on your headphones and listen to the music ?
it is the final output that matters not the technical aspect of the creating process, there is no right and wrong for a creative artist.
I see music from a artistic perspective not from a technical point of view it is what meets my ears that is the essence.
I think you confuse the creating process with the actual listening experience.

I do not like the "schooled/trained producer"  methodology, who says that music must be as loud as possible and always to use compressors since that is what the school book tell you,  for me it should be about turn of the lights and let your ears  and non intellectual sense guide your artistic decisions. I despise all this schooled and trained producer people who are here to say what is write and wrong, they are not good artists rules are made to be broken. 

The argument of using best converters, revervbs and all other aspect of the sound chain is it will give you better control, I think I have explained the concept many times already.  I find about funny that you do not understand that simple concept.
I want to shape the sound according to my own sense, if I want very clean sound I can do that if I want very dirty and lofi sound I can get that, it gives you artistic freedom. If I was stuck with a behringer Reverb it would be a limiting factor for me, since all my music would sound like a behringer reverb, just one example, since you are an artist I should not need to tell you.
  All to its own, use whatever method and concept that fits you best and I use mine, and I strongly like Opphois methodology so full respect to him...

Think what you want about Oophois methods I think his music is superior to most ambient as I said he is in the top 5 for me..
I especially like Signals from the Great beyond...

Signals from the great beyond is amazing! Especially 'Lightwaves' and 'Kolenhaar'

In 'Kolenhaar' there is a whip/lash-ish sound with an electric vibe. I don't know if he used a synth for that, or if it's just a mic'ed and processed sound.

'Lightwaves' is just pure bliss. A beautiful landscape filled with flowing particles, bells and this female super-ethereal voice.

So any of the 2 members who worked with him are going to disclose what gear he used? :)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:26:15 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 06:25:37 AM »
In this track you made, there's a very strong hiss that starts at 1:10:

Tomas Weiss - Zeitlos

Can you explain this, I'm a newbie and I want to learn :)

Thanks

Just a few personal notes based on work experiences:

I was working with him on 2 projectsůone was to contribute on a compilation and the other one was about a RMX of a track he did with Klaus Wiese.

He clearly wasn┤t up to date with technology and didm┤t had knowledge of using it correctly. As for the contribution: he finally "adjusted" the track by volume in a weird way by decreasing the volume to approximately -8 db. For the Rmx it was even more complicated as he didn┤t know how to handle file transfer properly. In both cases it ended up that he treated those files within his setup and it ended up to have them re-converted (!) on his mixing setup. I can clearly tell, that the sound of both files in the final result were heavily suffering by wrong technical treatments. Finally the Rmx was never released, as i told him that i can┤t accept the bad technically quality of his treatments he made on the original file.

For the equipment: he did own a lot of synths over the time, but from all of our discussions we had, i clearly felt it wasn┤t a pure believe concerning the options and possible sounds you can create by them..it was much more based on a "gear lust" because it was very easy for him to afford any of them.

I assume most people don┤t like to hear this, but i do believe into balancing things, when someone had the chance to have a closer insight view.

Greetings,
Tomas

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »
So any of the 2 members who worked with him are going to disclose what gear he used? :)

My experience is a bit limited as we sent each other music by CDr and I mixed all the music in my studio. My only regret is that by the time I was in a position to visit as invited, Gigi was too ill.....

My discussions with Gigi re equipment was all based on effects as I tend to use a lot of acoustic sources for my music.

He told me he very much valued the Roland VP9000 (sampler), TCM3000 and the sony minidisc I mentioned previously (the pitch shift can make 1 second last 1 minute!!).

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
In this track you made, there's a very strong hiss that starts at 1:10:

Tomas Weiss - Zeitlos

Can you explain this, I'm a newbie and I want to learn :)

Thanks

Open another thread about your problem because this has nothing to do with the original topic.

Greetings,
Tomas

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2014, 05:51:41 AM »
I'll point Ran Kirlian to this thread and see if he has any thoughts.  He did the last or close to last collab with Gigi.

Tomas - you can just call me John... no need to use my full title.  ;-)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
I'll point Ran Kirlian to this thread and see if he has any thoughts.  He did the last or close to last collab with Gigi.

Tomas - you can just call me John... no need to use my full title.  ;-)

I kind of like it - John the Moderator - like John the Revelator!     8)