Author Topic: Looking for ways to trigger drums samples with beatbox.  (Read 274 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Looking for ways to trigger drums samples with beatbox.
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
While I consider myself a good drum programmer and I have spent a lot of time making good programming the past, these days are gone forever, since I have realized it is impossible to get the human flow in the music with programming and it is just a big waste of time, I prefer to use drumpads.  But A lot of times when I play guitar I play beatbox (emulating drum rythms with my mouth). For me I find this the superior way for me to generate the natural human flow with the music which is very hard to to do in non real time, a lot easier to record both rhythm and guitars at the same time for me.

So what ways do you recommend for me to trigger my drum samples ? Should I use some kind of trigger mic or use an usual micrphone and use some plug ?  what way is the best ?  I use Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

I use some beatbox in this recording with the guitar.  The big advantage here is as I said that both rythm and guitar is done in real time.

http://www.delafil.se/download.php?key=788747092ca1317097b22a945e6b4b5f  Works in VLC player

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:41:02 AM by Ekstasis »

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Looking for ways to trigger drums samples with beatbox.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:37:01 AM »
Very interesting question, for which I suspect I am wholly unable to give any specific advice.

But I love the question and was wondering how you see (hear) what you are triggering - the range of sounds the human vocal apparatus can create is really huge - would you be triggering one sound or trying to trigger a range of sounds?

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:23:03 AM »
Very interesting question, for which I suspect I am wholly unable to give any specific advice.

But I love the question and was wondering how you see (hear) what you are triggering - the range of sounds the human vocal apparatus can create is really huge - would you be triggering one sound or trying to trigger a range of sounds?

yes I understand what you mean, the range can be huge, but in my case, I am just want to trigger bass and snare drum, to get the basic rhytm flow structure adding hihats and cymbals is a lot less time consuming job and I can add a drum pad to add that afterwards, the most important part is the bassdrum and snare.

It probably exist hardware boxes that translate sound to midi signals, maybe you can sett a certain frequency range for the bass drum and a higher frequency range for the snare... it should also recognize velocity.
It probably exist plugs that do it...

Would also love more about midi guitar and how to trigger samples like this.

Burr's MIDI Guitar Story

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:41:43 AM »
btw I saw my video have a strange 3gp format, it works in VLC I know.. if you do not have a codec pack installed.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »
I made one more guitar improv recording with beatbox drums for demonstrational purpose

(almost every recording I have done in the last 10 years have been improvisations)

http://delafil.se/key=1c28a48a2fd5c8773a90816fc6b5c6ff&lang=en

I really looking forward to record this kind of music I have been wanting to do for so many years..but things are taking form..
I need to get the trigger stuff fixed..and some drumpads aswell..to avoid drum programming..  Also a electric bass guitar.
Also a micrphone to record this "ghost like whispering" vocals.

Also.. I am trying to learn more about midi guitars... since I now have good effect processor it is possible I can get good electronic atmosphere sounds with the guitar with samples..you need a midi mic ..would feel more natural for me to record on the guitar then on the keyboard.. also easier to express yourself with emotion on the guitar for me..

Jam Origin Midi Guitar Demo Tested By Vincenzo Avallone
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:27:27 PM by Ekstasis »