Author Topic: Ableton Live ?  (Read 1502 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: Ableton Live ?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »
Thanks for your feedback Julio !

I will spend some more time with it, I think having different applications that do things in different ways is a good thing. I find myself going into 'repeat mode' regarding processes that yield useful results, but I'm always keen to try new things to add variety / stop me going into 'auto-pilot'.

I get the impression that having some kind of controller to launch clips is pretty integral to Live (?) . I've just bought a Korg PadKontrol and that works with FL Studio's performance mode in a similiar way (I think).  Interesting to see all those Youtube vids of people playing with controllers / Live almost as an 'instrument', in it's own way.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 04:45:08 AM »
  Interesting to see all those Youtube vids of people playing with controllers / Live almost as an 'instrument', in it's own way.

I agree, to full appreciate Live a controller of some sort is need and Live does become an instrument.  Its very different to most daw's.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
Great video, I love the bit at 3:00 (ish) - "one of the most beautiful chords in the universe" ! Good points about moving away from the (piano) keyboard, a friend who has 'Push' says the same.

I've been playing around with Live Intro and a Novation Launchkey 25 and I'm starting to see lots of possibilities. It's a completely different way of doing things that i'm used to and that's the appeal of it (in someways). I think I may have to get a Launchpad (mini) to start to delve into 'clipology' some more. The Novation 'in control' is very interesting too.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »
I love that too about " one of the most beautiful chords in the universe" and it is a very pretty chord.  Im looking at Push in the very near future for myself.

I cant believe its be more than two weeks and I haven't open up Live of logic nor tuned on a synth....be working on some photo projects.  After a break from delving deep into Live Im almost hesitant to jump back in.....very strange!

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
So I loaded up Live  today after about a month and really liked the sessions I had done but stared blankly at the monitor not understanding what or how I had done them.  Its not back to square one though the excitement of new ways to work have be hijacked by my time away.   ???

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 03:16:29 AM »
Julio,

I know what you mean, I've spent a lot of time on programs / plugins etc. and am still not sure what I may (or may not) do with them. Saying that though, I feel this exploration time is never wasted, even if there is very little to show for it, in terms of 'output'. It feeds into other things, over time.

Currently, I can see me using Live primarily as a sample-mangler, of sorts. The arrangement side of things I'm still unsure about.

Here's my Novation controllers / Live setup, I'm still messing about with possibilities, but these units make a lot more sense of the whole 'Live thing'. For one thing, To be able to do all that real time tweaking, is very interesting, as well as the clip launching thing. The Launchpad mini (in particular) is really good, I wish I'd looked at one years ago.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 02:22:56 AM »
Upgrade offer (until Sept 10th), if you have a Lite or Intro license:
https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/#live_buy

I'm tempted ! I'm now using two Launchpads with this feller's fiendishly complex, but very useful script for launchpads and Live:
http://www.nativekontrol.com/LPC-Live_2.html

For me, this is a really interesting combination. I've always been interested in looping - not 'sound on sound', but setting up a number of sounds to cycle around and to be able to start and stop them / change the loop lengths as a 'live take' of sorts, which I record and pick out the best bits afterwards.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 01:03:12 AM »
Well I succumbed to their offer and bought the full (standard) version. I was looking at the suite version, but even though I liked some of the included synths, the Max for Live thing wasn't really for me.

Looking forward to having a new DAW to peruse and hopefully inspire some new processes.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 03:57:23 AM »
Looking forward to having a new DAW to peruse and hopefully inspire some new processes.

I hear you on that. I love FL Studio because I've been using it for over a decade, but it's easy to fall into similar pattern when creating new work.

Have fun!  ;D
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 05:40:52 AM »
Nice compact setup there Pete.......one reason that I got Live Suite was for Max which is really good for audio manipulation and there are a few very interesting synths built with Max.  The other reason was the entire soft synths collection which is unique.  Live Suite is a lot of money to put down in one go, though I think its worth it because not only did I get a new work flow but a battery of inspiring synths / samplers.  Actually the sampler implementation in Live has made me think and feel different about what can be done....never really got it samples or samplers before.

Below is a video that turned me on to what Max for Live could do...very exciting!

Max for Live: The Monolake Granulator on Vimeo

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 06:23:49 AM »
Cheers Mike, I've actually really tried to learn more about FL recently, I've really gotten into what it can do. I still very much like it, but I'm not 100% keen on everything in the program, hence I decided to look at Live to compliment it.

Julio, my set-up has gotten even simpler ! The Novation 25 is on ebay and I'm using two Launchpad minis. The thinking behind that is I can alter many things at one time with two of them. Yes, the Monolake granulator - that was the one that got me into all things granular, some years ago. In fact, I bought Reaktor primarily for that reason, as it has many granular things. I use them primarily with tonal / sonorous sources and 'scan' through them to get a bit more harmonic interest.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 05:46:46 AM »
Came across this video today showing how to record audio directly from live into Logic using a device call Soundflower.  I assume the implementation will be very similar for other daws such as Cubase etc.....If you want to work with audio and dont want to do the re wire midi thing this is so simple.  Whats also cool is you can use all of Live's and Max for live FX which when rewired and Live is a slave these FX are disable. 

This is new to me and perhaps is common knowledge but if you love the sounds from Live but dont like the interface so much and prefer audio over midi this could be the answer!

Link to video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-z1TFR7RU

Soundflower looks like a Mac only device and can be found here  http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/  Originally developed by Cycle 74.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:53:58 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 06:19:16 AM »
FYI...the Soundflower setup works perfectly....just record a Live soft synth part into a piece Im working on in Logic  :)

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »
Update....ran audio from a hardware synth into live 9 and processed the audio with a few Max for live FX and ran the output via Soundflower straight into an audio track in logic to record.   8)

There are some issues with latency so precise keyboard work with short to no attack time will be noticeable, pads etc with longer attacks...no problem.

johny.gtr

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 06:43:07 AM »
I used to use Live for recording and mixing but never try Max4Live and Session mode which are most popular in EDM crowd.
As for me, Live is very intuitive for scissors/faders/automation panning/volume works. Also Ableton crashed about 3-4 times for two years and has no issues with my audio interfaces.
The most annoying feature for me in Live is defaul-on warp function. Sometimes ago I spent several hours in finding why field recording parts sound so artifical  ;D