Author Topic: World Cup ?  (Read 723 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
World Cup ?
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »
These days, I find the whole thing much more interesting from a cultural perspective rather than just the football itself. There was a great story about how the Japan fans stayed behind after a game that their team lost and cleaned up the stadium after themselves.

I live in hope of seeing world class performances from some of the brilliant players there - Neymar, Messi, Robben etc. As regards how it will benefit Brazil (the people of, primarily), that's another topic.

Interesting article regarding increasing US interest in the tournament:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28024752

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: World Cup ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
Interest among people I come across during the day (mainly at my day job) has been surprisingly high.  I certainly see a lot of people on Facebook and Twitter talking about it, but it's hard to gauge how many people are interested, compared to disinterested.

I have to admit, soccer has never yet grabbed me, but if the USA makes it to the next round, I will probably try to sit down and watch a game.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:15:55 PM »
My favorite take on the whole World Cup thing.  ;D

http://teamcoco.com/video/triumph-world-cup-part-1
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 01:53:01 AM »
Well Mike, you might want to 'force' yourself to view the spectacle as the US are through to the last 16 :)

The thing about footer (soccer) is that if you've played it, you realise that it's not as easy as it looks.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:53:28 AM »
According to Fox news the ratings for soccer in the US are high because "the news about our country, our economy and our standing in the world is overwhelmingly negative...we don't want any part of that, we want to escape, so here comes the World Cup, how convenient."  Huh?  Also more people are watching the World Cup because we've started legalizing weed.  Huh?

From Thursday's Colbert Report...

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/suqg0f/stephen-colbert-s-bats--t-serious---the-vast-government-soccer-conspiracy

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 08:17:05 AM »
Well Mike, you might want to 'force' yourself to view the spectacle as the US are through to the last 16 :)

The thing about footer (soccer) is that if you've played it, you realise that it's not as easy as it looks.

I know it's certainly not easy. I believe it's physically difficult, though I think soccer fans are prone to overstating the physical fitness level of pro soccer players relative to other pro athletes.

I was talking about favorite sports (mine's track and field) with a rabid soccer fan in my office and he assured me that most pro soccer players could easily run a sub-4 minute mile, "probably several in a row" if they wanted to. I've found this kind of believe in the athletic superiority of soccer players again and again. Clearly they're more physically fit than many other athletes, but I disagree that they stand above all other athletes in all respects.

If I'm to pin down the aspects of soccer that put me off, it's mostly these:

1. The ridiculously overacted fake injuries. It's an embarrassment to your sport. Any player seen doing this obvious stupid crap -- I don't mean merely flailing the arms to signal the far-away officials that you've been hit, but the writhing and over-the-top histrionics as if you've just had a limb cut off, then bouncing back up immediately once you realize you're not getting the flag, and proceeding as if nothing ever happened  -- should get that player zero respect from the fans ever again. Many of the non-fans I know also laugh at this.

2. The superiority of soccer fans toward non-fans. Tell a rabid soccer fan (at least here in the US) that you don't really enjoy their sport, and 90% of them will tell you it's too sophisticated, and it's your fault you don't "get it." The implication is that not being a soccer fan is proof of low intelligence. It's the same way vegetarians like to imply non-vegetarianism is proof of being a "bad person," in other words, not likely to win over any converts. If someone tells me they don't enjoy my favorite sport, I don't assume it's because of their personal failings, or lack of intelligence or sophistication.

3. Ties. It's ridiculous that a fan of any sports team should be excited that their team struggled to a 0-0 tie. Your sport is fundamentally broken when 0-0 is considered in any sense whatsoever a "victory."

4. Too much time with the ball kicked around aimlessly at midfield. Yes, I realize this is getting into the territory where I'm revealing my ignorance about tactical aspects, but if you tune into a game at random for 5 minutes and the ball mostly gets kicked around sideways near midfield, with both teams exchanging possession and not seeming terribly interested about advancing the ball toward the opponent's goal, that strikes me as not terribly compelling.

Now, if it sounds as if I hate soccer fans in general, I should say that's definitely not true. I've found European soccer fans to be more good-natured about it, probably because they're less insecure about the stature of their game, because the game is well-loved and respected there.

Here in the US, soccer is considered a minor sport, and fans here have a "little brother" syndrome about it, which can sometimes become irritating. So if I come across as a soccer hater, it's probably because I've been lectured a couple of times this week by chubby fellas that couldn't run a half mile if someone offered them a thousand dollar prize at the finish line, about how I "just don't understand sports."
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
Just noticed this topic  :D

Congrats to the USA on getting out the group and into the knock out stages. Best performance for me so far has been the Netherlands absolutely thrashing Spain. Germany looking good and Belgium.

Bit of a European bias there, but hey ho  ;)

Close season in the football season here in the UK so massive withdrawal symptoms till August. The World Cup helps a wee bit though. Good luck to the US. Would be great to see fitba (ok ...soccer ) continue to progress over the pond.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
Mike,

To reply to your points:

1. I agree, it's become the shame of the game. It's a modern trend that doesn't do anyone any good. Saying that, it's a very physical game and people do get injured - broken legs are not uncommon, the players aren't kitted out like robocop :)

3. Again I agree, but a 4-4 draw involving (say) Real Madrid and Barcelona is fine in my view.

4. Not always the case, certainly not in the Premiership.

Lastly, regarding the athleticism involved, the game is more to do with technique than pure fitness.

I should say I'm not a huge fan of the game these days and I don't like the commercial element (and the gambling involved) and the way it divides the fans - Manchester City or United, the london clubs etc. However, it's a game anyone can play (for nothing) hence it's global appeal and that's why I'm interested in the 'World Cup'.

'thirdsystem' - fitba eh, I take it you're scottish ? It's footer or footy in my part of the world :)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
Hey Pete, aye  ;)

Would also say in relation to your points and Mike's;

1) I think the feigning injury tends to be more prevalent in some of the continental European and South American countries. Having said that it does certainly happen in UK football and diving is also prevalent with certain players. No time for cheats ! and cheating is what it is. Having said this over the years ( many) of attending games I have seen some horrendous injuries including two leg breaks and two completely dislocated knee caps, right round the other side of the leg  :-\ terrible to actually witness something like that at a game.

3) Some of the best games of football I have been at have been draws, including nil nil draws, end to end exciting football. I have also seen many complete and utter pants, boring draws  ;)

4) Re the boring midfield nature of certain matches. I reckon this depends on the style of play in certain countries again. Also heat/humidity/weather conditions etc. Most games in Scotland and England tend to be played at a fair pace with attacking football required by the fans. Also confess to having witnessed some totally s.hite games also  ;D

In respect of finance, I also have distinct distaste for some of the massively over-inflated salaries, debt levels of some clubs and the bad feeling there can be between clubs/supporters at times. But then again other sports can be like this I am sure.

PS  Fitba sounds much cooler  ;) ;)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
Brazil v Chile. One of the best International Matches I have seen in a while. Entertaining, some good football and skills, tense, intense, exciting and won on a dramatic penalty shoot out. Terrible way to lose and go out.

Netherlands v Mexico. The Dutch win it with the last kick of the ball in the 90th + 4 minutes.  Not the best game, massively affected by the intense heat but dramatic stuff.

Knock out format is far more entertaining and intense than the group stages.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »
I still think that they should have three teams, three goals and 2 balls - now that would make it interesting..... :o

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 05:09:11 PM »

1. The ridiculously overacted fake injuries.

Basically flopping, I hate it too. The European's invented it and brought it to basketball as well, it nearly ruined the game here in the states. I feel sorry for Mexico, they basically lost because of a flop.

3. Ties. It's ridiculous that a fan of any sports team should be excited that their team struggled to a 0-0 tie.

I don't find ties all that bad, a tie game can be exciting. In lots of sports you use to be able to end in a tie like college football. And now they have replaced the tie with the most ridiculous tie braking system ever invented, I would much prefer a tie game compared to that system. Their is a great documentary out called Harvard beats Yale 29-29, well worth checking out even if you don't find football that interesting. And this is coming from someone who basically hates american style football today. I think it shows that a tie can be more exciting than even a win.

4. Too much time with the ball kicked around aimlessly at midfield.

Compared to American football where everyone stands around in a huttle for 45 seconds before any action begins?  ;D Midfield action is sort of the same, getting everyone in position for an attack, it just takes time because the field is so big.

Ok well the US lost now, so we can all go back to ignoring the rest of the world cup.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:20 AM »
Well I've just won a competition on the FLstudio forum as I predicted the score of the belgium versus USA match correctly and I guessed the nearest time of the first goal scored ! (they are a Belgian company , hence their interest). A few Westmalle Tripels to celebrate ?

Great match by the way. Tim Howard for president ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28122254

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IynteMtSBxo&feature=share

;D

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 06:06:57 AM »
Bit harsh - but true !
Ye Gods, I thought England's performances were the worst, but that match...

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 06:43:21 AM »
I'm not a sports fan in general... I don't follow any sports until it gets to that 'holy cow - it's an artform' level of the olympics, or the stanley cup, or world cup.  ...and then it's just the highlights now and then. 

I've enjoyed the world cup highlights a lot.  Tim Howard was a monster - well an octopus at least.  Germany yesterday vs. whoever that team was... I think they snuck in and wore Brazil's jerseys.  Wow.   

I do find football to be one heck of a sport - when it's exciting - it's exciting!  And how the heck do the athletes run up and down the field non stop for literally ever...?  Baseball you get a nice rest after every pitch.  Football (american) - the game itself is what...5 minutes total?  but takes 14 hours to play.   

Anyway... hats off to the World Cup - some amazing, and very artful, athletes.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »
Good wee vid that. Harsh but fair ;)

Germany looking good

Ein, zwei, drei, vier, funf, sechs, sieben against Brazil in the World Cup semi , blimey !

Can't see a scorline like that tonight somehow.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 04:10:29 AM »
Well that was an excellent World Cup. Good football and in the main very sporting behaviour from the teams.

Germany by far the deserved winners, they are some team.

21 days and three hours until the real football season commences  :)