Author Topic: A viewpoint of ambient EM music  (Read 581 times)

Analoguekid

• View Profile
A viewpoint of ambient EM music
« on: July 03, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »
Heres one, see what you make of this. I have recently hooked up with a very old school mate on FB, we got chatting and it got around to music, he asked if there was anywhere he could listen to some of mine, I directed him to my sound cloud page and a few nights later I asked him what he thought, his reply was "well its ok but all sounds the same" he is into death metal, throat music and stuff like that ;-)

So my reply to him was this "have you ever seen those beach front artists in Tenerife and holiday places, the ones that paint pictures using spray cans and templates and end up with a space scene or a moonlit waterfall and stuff" and he said "oh yes I know those, some very good, think I brought one on a holiday a long time ago" I then said "well, aren't those pictures all the same, same content, same colours, same templates used, with just a few slight variations in the scene, well that's a bit like Ambient EM music" "My music uses the same tools, same format, etc." His reply to that was, "yes but they are paintings that can be used to decorate your room and stuff, music is just music" :P

Where do we go from here :-)

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: A viewpoint of ambient EM music
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:51 AM »
Sounds like a lost cause.  ;)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »
People seem to take my music preferences more seriously when I don't refer to ambient as "music." For most people, the term "music" conjures a number of things (e.g., vocals, melody, verse-chorus-verse, drums) that are not always present in ambient.

Convincing them that it is something interesting worth exploring is a bit easier than convincing them that it is music.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:07:39 AM »
If they don't like ambient, then they don't like it. There's not much else you can do, I'm not a fan of opera, I would imagine if someone tried to promote it's virtues to me I may like it even less.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:10:05 AM »
Pointing him to a variety of things in the broad ambient realm, not just to your own material, might help his outlook.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
If they don't like ambient, then they don't like it. There's not much else you can do, I'm not a fan of opera, I would imagine if someone tried to promote it's virtues to me I may like it even less.

Exactly. Ambient music just isn't for everyone.

A friend of mine said it best when he said that it was music for the eyes and not so much the ears.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Rebirth, available now!

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
To be honest I wasn't trying to promote my music or ambient EM in general to him, after hearing of his musical tastes, I knew he wouldn't like it anyway;-) @APK I don't think he would ever like it in whatever form or whoever had produced it and that his prerogative :-)

I was more surprised by his response to those paintings thinking they were some kind of "work of a genius" and the fact that he couldn't see that they were all the same :-)

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Quote from: Analoguekid

I was more surprised by his response to those paintings thinking they were some kind of "work of a genius" and the fact that he couldn't see that they were all the same :-)

Why being surprised? Thatīs a common and well known pattern for art - you just need a "name" and most (if not all) fans will follow blindly for anything coming up.

For instance, "Bach" or "Keith Jarrett" : In most places you canīt say something different things than "He or his music was just genius" if you donīt want to get a nice shitstorm - Those are seem as "untouchable" heroes  ;D

Being critical is something "alien" and not much appreciated in society at these days. Being uniform is the key to attract most value and "Likes" ;D

Greetings,
Tomas

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
Greetings Tomas :-)

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Greetings Tomas :-)

Unfortunately I donīt have a FB button here, but "I Like" anyway  ;D

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »
Ambient music is not for common people, some call it ''Elevator Music'' or ''Airport Music'', how can you teach these people, how can you feed them with a fine gourmet meal, if all they want is a greasy Big Mac and a beer?

Well I also agree that is a lost cause, you can't show sublime music to a death metal listener, basically a Neanderthal gorilla, just watch some live death metal concert and you will see ''how friendly'' they are to each other.

It's a clash of cultures, peace and introspection vs brutality/stupidity.

Of course this an exaggeration and obviously grey zones exist.

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »
Ambient music is not for common people, some call it ''Elevator Music'' or ''Airport Music'', how can you teach these people, how can you feed them with a fine gourmet meal, if all they want is a greasy Big Mac and a beer?

Well I also agree that is a lost cause, you can't show sublime music to a death metal listener, basically a Neanderthal gorilla, just watch some live death metal concert and you will see ''how friendly'' they are to each other.

It's a clash of cultures, peace and introspection vs brutality/stupidity.

Of course this an exaggeration and obviously grey zones exist.

my mate maybe on his death metal forum (if there are any ;-) )and saying exactly the same about our EM music ;-) We have to be grateful that we were given the attributes to hear the pleasure and meaning within ambient EM :-) 

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 05:53:43 AM »
Each to their own.  We all have our passions...  thankfully the internet brought us ambient lovers from all over the world together to talk endlessly about what we're passionate about. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei