Author Topic: High Resolution Technologies - microStreamer Mini USB DAC for portable decvices  (Read 495 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
So it is summer.. their is finally sunny weather in Sweden which mean I travel to cities during the weekend to meet people and vaccation etc which gives me a need for good portable sound. I have found this Mini DAC Microstreamer, I have not found one single bad review yet it seem pretty hyped, I wonder if it gets hyped because of the small size or the sound.. anyway.. I decided to buy one for my Samsung Ativ 9 Plus ultrabook and my DT1350 headphones...nice to have good portable sound on the train... but.. it is even small enough to have in your pants pocket with your smartphone, yes it works with android and pc and also mac/ios.  It works with ASIO up to 96K it is not much bigger then a matchbox it has an aluminium body.

The price is not that cheap.. you obliviously pay little bit for the extremely small form factor..
Well anyway I am looking forward to try it the order should arrive in a few days, looking forward to have it on the train to Gothenburg.

Have any one tried it ?

http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=107

HRT MicroStreamer DAC plus Headphone Amp review by Dale

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:30:46 AM by Ekstasis »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I will send this product back tomorrow... it is simply and over hyped product mainly due its small form factor and aluminium metal finish the sound is very medocire.. and kind of cold.. I did experience my samsung ativ 9 plus ultrabook had warmer sound.. my hunt hon a portable solution will go on though..but for my next dac and headphone amp I will not let the small form factor compromise the sound..

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:49:57 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/10/sony-announce-portable-pha-2-dacheadphone-amp/

This stand out in the the ocean of other products ?..it is a really deep jungle this..I find it takes a lot of time and reserach to find the best product.. the sony looks good for the eye atleast I can say that..will look into it..
even though I am sceptical though.. about sony as a brand..

Crepuscule

• View Profile
I have a Vaio laptop and it's reliable, I can't vouch about their other products tho...

Anyway, this one should be easier to listen live and it has some positive reviews online.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
What about the first you posted?  It had a burr brown chip.

It feels with the Sony I might pay extra just for the Sony logo.. As I said there is do many small dacs and headphone amps like this there is a big ocean of choice of smaller not so well known products..  Takes a lot of time to do the research tof find the best products.  Especially since every one have different options about every product. 

Crepuscule

• View Profile
Yeah, the one I posted before didn't had an headphones plug...Indeed it has the burr brown chip like the Dangerous Music Source and other high end gear.

Another company you might want to check is:

http://www.fiio.com.cn/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:29:40 AM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Yeah, the one I posted before didn't had an headphones plug...Indeed it has the burr brown chip like the Dangerous Music Source and other high end gear.

Another company you might want to check is:

http://www.fiio.com.cn/

Oh ok..  well a headphone output is a must..
Regarding burr brown it is good to have a good DAC chip but it is only one part of the DAC so it does not really say much about the DAC itself more then that the desiner obviously know that most high end gear use Burr Brown.. but this chip only cost a few dollars so.. it is not like it is some super expensive exclusive thing..

I am aware of Fiio, it is the most well known and popular headphone amps and DACs, it is popular for the more consumer market also, so I am gladely trying to look deeper into the market to find these unkown gold corns which people including myself is hard to find...

The sony is for sure an alternative, but I am also sure there is a similar product without the sony logo that is less expensive.. The sony price is ok if the sound is really good and would satisfy my needs more long term..

Crepuscule

• View Profile
Ok just let us know about your findings ;)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
well the time and energy is something that I lack of right now.. I hate digging throu thousands of foroum threads to find what I am looking for.. the sony looks nice though!  but seem that not many people on head fi forum  have tried..just one beginner did review it..maybe it is an indication I do not know..  All I know there is a lot of DACs/amps out there right now..  the sony "brand" does not mean anything for me really, it could mean anything from crap to good really.. When I did grow up sony was = quality but as most companies now days they release both good and crap products.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Since I want an DAC + Headphone amp my options gets little bit narrow..I am still doing research trying to find which to buy...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jds-labs-o2-odac/reviews/8788

I wish the Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC had a headphone amp too..it would had been a good option for sure..

Ekstasis

• View Profile
The sony is not an option cause you can only drive it by battery and it only last for a couple of hours and you can't charge and listen at the same time..which is very bad.. so I can't basically listen 8 hours in a row..

Seren

• View Profile
The beresford dacs - with headphone output - is often highly recommended.

May I say in advance i am not Mr Beresford.... :o

Crepuscule

• View Profile
This is my current portable dac. Zoom H6.

30 hours of operation, 6 track recorder and audiointerface.

The front mics can be detached. So besides being a great recorder with pristine audio quality it can fit in bag and be a great vacation partner too serving as a usb powered dac.

I was recording today at the beach and the quality is just mind blowing.

It comes with a nice price tag and Richard Devine recommends it :)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
The beresford dacs - with headphone output - is often highly recommended.

May I say in advance i am not Mr Beresford.... :o

I will look into it... the price was very good...
The form factor... its probably little bit too big to be portable.. enough prefer something slightlight smaller..
it is mainly the "height" that is the problem when having it in my ultrabook bag, the length is less of an problem...
However I would most likely make the beresford to fit in my bag but it would create a huge bulge..

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I have decided I will most likely try to buy the DAC and Headphone amp seperatly.. more options will emerge then..

if I buy this DAC which seem to get mostly good feedback.. I can buy a bigger external headphone amp to complete it for sure...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jds-labs-odac

it is very small

Crepuscule

• View Profile
No physical volume knob, what the heck? 2 pieces will create more cumbersomeness...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:40:13 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
No physical volume knob, what the heck? 2 pieces will create more cumbersomeness...

I do not think you want the DAC section to have a volume control, since its main task is to feed the amp 0 db signal.
if you have a volume knob on the DAC you will just lose bit depth better to let the headphone amp control the volume, always best to control the volume with an analogue parameter.

two pieces will be more cumbersomeness yes, but it will give you more control and better flexibility in terms of choosing the exact dac and amp..it will give you more options for sure.. you will end up with a better DAC and a better amp for the money... the best would be to have a combo unit.. but you will end up buying less audio quality for the money.  Anyway the hunt is going on now... the DAC might have been decided..I will look into the options for the headphone amp on to train to gothenburg tomorrow...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
after a few weeks of painful research I have made my decision regarding the headphone amp/DAC combo it will be the Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di it is actually based on the Jds odac/02 amp which is based on an open source project.

There is a very small chance I go with the Headstage 5G but the chance are so small cause I think it will be delayed many more months until release...otherwise it would probably have been the best alternative..

Crepuscule

• View Profile
Ok let us know if it's really a gold corn like you said.