Author Topic: My review of "The Long Night" CD by Steve Roach / Kelly David  (Read 503 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop

Steve Roach / Kelly David "The Long Night" CD

Long awaited collaboration between iconic Steve Roach and in Colorado based capable kindred spirit Kelly David, who is responsible for two remarkable, highly adventurous albums "Broken Voyage" (2002) and "Angkor" (2006), was released during January 2014. The album's title as well as its awesome cover image by Stan Yeatts clearly reveal what to expect from this journey through nocturnal magic.

Comprised of 5 tracks, each clocking between 10-plus and 14-plus minutes, the album reveals with "Last Light". This serenely embracing composition glides through mysteriously undulating passages, hauntingly enhanced by various, richly detailed dissonant subtleties, while warmer expansive drone layers slowly sneak in, massively billow and guard above with all its grandiose beauty. These shadowy zones are essentially comforting and contemplative!!! "Season Of Nights" is immediately intensified by whistling infusions, but soon the monumental drone announces its domination, while glimmering modulations join the fore as well and continuously interact throughout with manifold volume. Splendidly immersing, and trickily disturbing too!!! Transition to the next piece, "The Deep Hours", is masterfully spiced by various rumbles, clicks, all luxuriantly biotic and wrapped by underground grotto echoes, while cicadas excel with chirping noises. Serenely weaving wide-screen atmozones shortly invade, tranquilly expand and precisely evoke brooding voice-like sounds. Lazy tribal groove permeates quietly through fascinating nightly scenery, which is fully unfolded in all its blissful grace and serenity. This is nothing but pure moonlit magnificence delivered by two virtuoso composers!!! The journey continues with "Calm World" when deep drone hums invade, joined by distant rumbles, while spiraling dissonances deliver their mindscaping force before completely fading away. Then monolithic drifts take the lead and briskly amalgamate with remaining remote noises, but soon they dissolve into various disruptive, but tranquilly captivating layers, which graciously waft throughout and safely land into spellbinding stillness. 14-minute closing title track, "The Long Night" sharply dives into calm blankets with its colossally expansive meanders, cascades and climaxes. There are absolutely marvelous chameleonic transitions between breathtakingly gigantic passages and decreasing panoramic quietude. Toward the end vague euphoric sequences awake and cruise on the night skies. A sonic transmutation at its finest!!!

"The Long Night" was released 13 months after "Tales From The Ultra Tribe", a Hall of Fame collaboration of Steve Roach with Byron Metcalf. Yes, we certainly have here immensely triumphant fellowship as "The Long Night" is another stunningly transporting collaborative effort starring Steve Roach, who splits this performance extraordinaire with gifted veteran soundsculptor Kelly David. A man, who really deserves this glory, because his solo works "Broken Voyage" and "Angkor" undeservedly remain as well hidden treasures. Please, try to change this!!! Bravo, gentlemen!!!

Richard Gürtler (Jul 06, 2014, Bratislava, Slovakia)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: My review of "The Long Night" CD by Steve Roach / Kelly David
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:58:15 AM »
An excellent assessment of this CD.  I played this recently after a couple months and I think it's one of Steve's strongest albums in some years.  Definitely on my best of 2014 list.