Author Topic: Miss you Forrest!  (Read 1116 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Miss you Forrest!
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
Just thought I'd say that I notice his absence.....as I feared would happen.

It's a rare thing when such a talented and wise forum member departs for reasons large or small and we all wish I'm sure that these great debates that are played out here from time to time are done so with positive consequences......?

One can't go back but we can go forward and  I hope and look towards a return of a special forum member Forrest Fang.

Perhaps I'm saying what should not be said but for me the forum is that much dimmer with his lack of presence.

People do come and go.....I don't think so in this case

And if your on a beautiful tropical island with a recording studio.....!

Miss you Forrest!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Miss you Forrest!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »
ditto   :)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »
I still remember the production advice he gave me when I first posted my music here.

I miss him too. He really is extremely talented and I hope to hear more music from him someday. Phantoms and Animism are awesome and I wish I would have listened to them sooner.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:43:13 AM »
I agree, his contributions were knowledgeable and interesting.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
I donīt want to destroy here the party but trying to balance a bit the excitements.

In my opinion itīs great to have members in this place sharing their knowledge, but in my view they also should act mature when it comes to different opinions. From what I understand this member decided to disappear by a specific topic where he didnīt got the responses he was looking for and got upset by some critical replies.

So, just disappearing without telling the reason(s) really isnīt a mature action and for that reason I wonīt miss persons acting in this regard.

Greetings,
Tomas

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 01:04:52 AM »
Tomas,

You should realise that being 'direct' on forums can come across as being rude. In the 'real world', I am very direct myself (and outspoken), so I try to be more circumspect online. 

The point still holds, a forum member who contributed a lot over the years has decided not to be a part of things anymore (for whatever reason) and that's a shame.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:48:05 AM »
I think it's sad when people leave. Forrest is a good egg.  I do find myself deterred from posting here very much - I almost always get a negative sounding post from one person in reply and it drives me nuts.  More than once I've been going to post and then decided... nah - I'll get jumped on as soon as I post. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:09:53 AM »
Forrest was a significant contributor to the collective wisdom of this forum.  :(

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »
I donīt want to destroy here the party but trying to balance a bit the excitements.

In my opinion itīs great to have members in this place sharing their knowledge, but in my view they also should act mature when it comes to different opinions. From what I understand this member decided to disappear by a specific topic where he didnīt got the responses he was looking for and got upset by some critical replies.

So, just disappearing without telling the reason(s) really isnīt a mature action and for that reason I wonīt miss persons acting in this regard.

Greetings,
Tomas

Hi Tomas,

People react in many different ways when they are upset for what ever reason and I do not hold anyone accountable.  Mike let us know that Forrest was put out enough that he was seriously thinking of leaving the Forum.  I sense that happened but don't know for a fact. 

This thread was my silly way of trying to get a positive reaction from him because he is/was a great contributor in many areas of the hypnos forum and I would love to see him back

I think it's sad when people leave. Forrest is a good egg.  I do find myself deterred from posting here very much - I almost always get a negative sounding post from one person in reply and it drives me nuts.  More than once I've been going to post and then decided... nah - I'll get jumped on as soon as I post. 

JKN I do find this upsetting that you feel this way....I understand it, though I have felt this Forum was well mannered and members respectful to each other.  I dont mind when things get heated....a passionate exchange of opinions is a healthy thing. If someone is rude or comes across that way it should be addressed and hopefully a clarification give to make sure everyones on the same page.

The sharing of music, literature, art, technology and production makes this forum a special place full of life and energy....silence is its death. 

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
No worries... when I have something to post I'll post it.   :-)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »
I have always enjoyed your posts John on many topics and look forward to more!  :)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »

So, just disappearing without telling the reason(s) really isnīt a mature action

Well Forrest is a pretty nice guy, and my guess is his reason for disappearing without telling us is he probably didn't want to embarrass you. Not all of us like to be confrontational Tomas.

and for that reason I wonīt miss persons acting in this regard.

This might become a very lonely place.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »
I've been posting here for 14 years!  I've had my share of saying things I regretted and basically being a jackass.  I try to constantly be aware now of how my words might affect others, instead of just posting whatever I want to say and however I want to say it.  I do notice certain members have tended to take a negative and confrontational stance, and it doesn't help the positive vibe that "should" go on here. 

I do hope Forrest comes back.  I'm sure he will when he's ready to do so.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
Quote from: LNerell

...and my guess is his reason for disappearing without telling us is he probably didn't want to embarrass you.

It seems you know more than other people here! Anyway, at last you made me laugh with this statement  ;D

Greetings,
Tomas

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »
Tomas,

You should realise that being 'direct' on forums can come across as being rude. In the 'real world', I am very direct myself (and outspoken), so I try to be more circumspect online. 

The point still holds, a forum member who contributed a lot over the years has decided not to be a part of things anymore (for whatever reason) and that's a shame.

I understand what you are saying! But when people leave a forum for a while (Iīm pretty sure he will come back at some point) it isnīt the end of the world and this happens in other places too all the time. Iīm pretty sure the moderators will interact when someone is getting rude but I havenīt seen this for a long time.

Greetings,
Tomas

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
Just to clarify, I didn't mean Forrest was a negative/confrontational member.  I was thinking of someone else who will go unnamed.  And by this I mean someone who turns every post into an argument and takes offense at the most benign comments.   

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »
I was somewhat active in the forum in early 2000's and sort of slowly drift away because of a different personal vibe, but came back in 2009, so yes we can and do leave.... and no one would of noticed my absence but not so with Forrest.....this is not a memorial..... just a forum friend I have great  respect for that I hope comes back with  music & tales to tell.

P.S. I feel its health to be passionately opinionated and humble when you know you may have gone too far.  Every forum member and the silent masses that look on....(and yes that's a poke to participate  ;)....are deeply passionate about ambient music in its various genres. 

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 03:04:06 AM »
I should have chimed in sooner, but I've been traveling and it is awfully hard to type with thumbs.

I fear that I might have played a non-trivial role in the reason Forrest left. I corresponded with him at that time and apologized if for having offended him via my comments in the youtube discussion. But I'd like to offer this post as a public apology too.

I've learned a lot from Forrest over the years and he was always thoughtful and helpful in his contributions.  It saddens me to know that I offended him and I hope one day that he'll return and continue to contribute share is experiences, insights, and opinions. Regardless of whether he chooses to return, I hope he understands that his contributions are valued and respected, even among those of us who are not always capable of expressing that clearly.

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:16 AM »
Geez and I always kind of assumed ambient guys were all really chill dudes....

People need to stop taking themselves so seriously and relax.

*Disclaimer: I have no idea what situation you guys are talking about.