Author Topic: Steve Roach, 'The Delicate Forever'  (Read 3246 times)

Robert Logan

• View Profile
Steve Roach, 'The Delicate Forever'
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:48:56 AM »
Hello,

Has anyone had a chance to listen to this new Steve Roach release yet? Apologies if it has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything when I searched the forum...

http://steveroach.com/store/store.php?item=518

The samples are a little short for me to be able to deduce anything much about the music. It'd be really interesting to read your impressions. :)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Steve Roach, 'The Delicate Forever'
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
Hey! -  Check the bottom of the Drone Zone page:  http://somafm.com/dronezone/

AND: SomaFM and Projekt Records present the album premiere of Steve Roach's "The Delicate Forever" on Drone Zone, July 22nd at Noon Pacific Time, 3pm Eastern, 8pm (20:00) GMT.

You'll see the Relaxed Machinery / Chris Russell and DataObscura / Robert Davies premiere for tonight right about Steve Roach.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:15:20 AM »
The projekt website had the whole first track (24 min) up last time I checked.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »
looking forward for this one..seem like he have found some new inspiration. I like the art work too..

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:36:33 PM »
The samples are much longer on Spotted Peccary --> http://spottedpeccary.com/shop/the-delicate-forever/
Ambient DNA

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »
Got the CD yesterday, it's excellent!!!  Confused on the bonus CD though, as the cover lists one track at 74 min. But there are actually TWO tracks on the disc ?.......

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
Got the CD yesterday, it's excellent!!!  Confused on the bonus CD though, as the cover lists one track at 74 min. But there are actually TWO tracks on the disc ?.......

Great in all honesty it is nice to see Mr Roach release more studio albums, I think he should put out more I have seen interviews that he could release one per months if he wanted to but he restrict the number to about 5-6 per year...
I hope Steve roach get back to his "confidence" again as an artist, I think he have lost it little bit the last years. I do not think the feedback from his later albums have been so good as before, but I think this new CD shows definitely new found inspiration.  I still wish though I prefer his more lighter albums, the production are darker nowdays less treble more bass, it makes it less deep for me.. Anyway this new album seem to be kind dramlike.. some thing I could drift away to with headphones in bed into inner journeys.  I hope steve roach have found a new spark of inspiration now and will release a more steady flow of albums.  I wish he could experiment some more though.. but I will always keep track on his album his potential is always there and he still among the top ambient artists in my book.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »
I like this one too.

But like many listeners, I would prefer if he went in the same vein of ''Structures from Silence'', in my opinion a well thought composition of layered sounds (thinking about the track ''Quiet Friend'), the latest works seem more random, like the stuff Ran Kirlian does...It's easy to release albums like that. ::)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:20:00 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
"Well Spring" Music: Steve Roach / Video: Steve Matson
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:49:29 PM by Poaalpina »
Ambient DNA

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »
The samples are much longer on Spotted Peccary --> http://spottedpeccary.com/shop/the-delicate-forever/

Thanks...

This release is sounding great. I have take the plunge. :D

I enjoyed reading people's impressions too...

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »
In case anyone else is reading, I'm currently listening to the stream here at http://somafm.com/dronezone/ The album sounds really great and I'm glad I ordered it. Some nice, weightless, drifty stuff.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
I have heard the album now it is very good I think, roach is manage to come back to older standards around 2005-2007 era, however there is still too much bass frequencies rumble for my taste, maybe it is a cheap way to flirty with the more mainstream dark ambient listeners . I guess it depends on how deep your bass on your speakers go mine  go about 35hz so kind of deep. This bass drone rumble is just an irritating factor and especially for my neighbours since the bass is penetrating the walls much more then the other frequencies  For me the bass is mixed to loud, and there is really no interesting audio information in that spectrum imo the sonic depth is in the upper mid and high range.

Anyway good album..it just feels too short though.. but I guess that is a good thing..you got the feeling you wanted more after the last song..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:35:12 PM by Ekstasis »

Boris Lelong

• View Profile
    • Cinematic Soundscapes :: World Music Projects
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:59 AM »
This video is wonderful... This idea of "live" abstract painting is excellent and beautifully crafted here.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
Just received my discs from Steve. Beautiful album indeed, several listens pending between this and the Desert Collection which is equally superb.

Will be in Steve Roach mode for a good while methinks  8)

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
This arrived today and I've given it a few spins.

There are some gorgeous and fresh sounding analog textures on this album, even if they'd sit comfortably with the kinds of sounds Steve has been emitting from many other releases. Still, these are luscious and beautifully subtle soundworlds, and space and silence are utilised to great effect in the music. I also prefer the darker EQing of Steve's newer stuff, but I can understand if people miss the brightness of old!

As much as one part of me enjoys the minimalism and focus of these pieces and other newer Steve Roach releases (like 'Spiral Meditations'), I do miss the days where individual tracks would have more distinct developments and contrasting sections within them. I remember often loving the majestic gear shifts throughout some tracks on The Magnificent Void, Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces, that album The Dream Circle, the Vir Unis and Vidna Obmana collaborations, and many others. But this isn't specific to Steve's output; I've noticed that a number of ambient artists I like tend to focus on one main 'idea' per track these days, whereas their past works often had more surprises and definite shifts within individual tracks.     
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:30:23 PM by Robert Logan »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
I agree.  Steve's music has gotten more abstract, formless over the years.  I'm sure it's intentional, as he seems to be about impressionism and sound painting than structured melodic pieces like his older work. 

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
I agree.. it has become little bit too minimalistic the last years...  Immersion volume 1,2,3  (esceially 3) and also after light was good minimalistic releases, but it seem have been stuck in this expression now since then more or less..i miss the more dynamic releases too..  Also I think he have in the last years in terms of drones been going for a more raw vintage sound..not as mordern anymore.. less wet reverb more oberheim dry.  I hope steve roach start releasing a bigger number of relases every year, maybe some of the albums will be good I know I will not like all of his..

Also this "gltichy" delay effects he have used since Destination Beyond feels like they have become little bit old now..I do not like them,
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:11:35 PM by Ekstasis »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 02:30:03 PM »
I agree.  Steve's music has gotten more abstract, formless over the years.  I'm sure it's intentional, as he seems to be about impressionism and sound painting than structured melodic pieces like his older work.

I dunno... I would still like to hear more in the vein of MC&SS to be honest. It had the perfect blend somehow, fantastic soundworlds with just the right amount of musical touches underneath... it still has a sense of direction, structure, with interesting tonal qualities/chords, not too much, not too little... most (not all) of the later albums are far less interesting in those aspects.
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of his later albums as well, however in my view MC&SS is still the one to beat. A once in a decade masterpiece.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:32:53 PM by DeepR »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
As much as one part of me enjoys the minimalism and focus of these pieces and other newer Steve Roach releases (like 'Spiral Meditations'), I do miss the days where individual tracks would have more distinct developments and contrasting sections within them. I remember often loving the majestic gear shifts throughout some tracks on The Magnificent Void, Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces, that album The Dream Circle, the Vir Unis and Vidna Obmana collaborations, and many others. But this isn't specific to Steve's output; I've noticed that a number of ambient artists I like tend to focus on one main 'idea' per track these days, whereas their past works often had more surprises and definite shifts within individual tracks.   

I agree, well put. And it's not just about what happens in individual tracks. I also think there used to be more coherence between different tracks. The tracks on Magnificent Void and MC&SS give a bit of a sense of different movements, contrasting yet connected to each other. Certain tracks may feel like a brief interlude between two bigger ones, another track feels like a prelude to the next one etc. A good example would be the last three tracks on MC&SS disc 3. I feel a strong sense of direction there. That must be among his very finest moments, btw.
This connection between tracks is what I also miss in more recent releases.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 04:25:54 AM »
I only recently got into Steve's music thanks to the 30 years Structures From Silence release, so there is much to still discover.

I am listening to The Magnificent Void which is on spotify , deep dark and magnificent !!

Unfortunately Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces is not on Spotify, so it sounds as if it is one to order urgently, thanks for the tip.