Author Topic: Steve Roach, 'The Delicate Forever'  (Read 18442 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach, 'The Delicate Forever'
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 12:58:53 AM »
This is one of those discussions that is hard to comment in, each time I write something I scrap it before posting.

Thanks to Paul for all your positive and reconciliatory posts. Also to Pete supporting the other aspects of music

Steve Roach has been around a long time and created a wide range of music. Some of it I love, some I just don't get. After first getting into his music when I bought everything I could, I now go through phases and am more thoughtful about what I buy and when. It is the same with all the bands/artists/musicians I listen to.

The Fever Dreams series is one I don't get and despite being a drummer who would definitely come under 'Tribal' his more tribal type music since 'The Serpents Lair' also does nothing for me.

But it would never occur to me to say he was wrong in his choice of direction, after all it is his choice, his music, not mine. It would be like saying Rothko uses the wrong colours, Andy Warhol should not have painted a different soup can or Constable should have left the cart out of the picture.....

The distinctions between opinion, experience, wisdom, naivity, preference and fact can all be a little hard to keep hold of (or even find). Einstein ripped through established 'fact', but still got things wrong.

If I don't like parts of an artists repetoire I have choices - accept I don't get it and don't listen or listen and see if I can find the music.

Or given current technical facilities on computers I could eq it and burn a CD I enjoy.

I did have the chance some years back to review albums for a magazine. But after realising that if I don't like an album it is likely to be due to my personal preference or personal ignorance I chose not to comment unless I had something positrive to say. Advertising my own ignorance is not a pleasant sight and I definitely felt better promoting those I did enjoy - already too much unhappiness in the worlld.

However, to contradict myself, as a drummer, who is naive, but had some amazing feedback - I acknowledge I am more able to be judgemental about drummers than electronic musicians - so I suppose I have a personal preference about where I am judgemental and where I am compassionate.......

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2014, 06:49:13 AM »

If I don't like parts of an artists repertoire I have choices - accept I don't get it and don't listen or listen and see if I can find the music.

I love this quote Seren. I have always tried to live by this, and I usually find and force myself to do the later. Its how I have learned to truly appreciate and enjoy everything from Ravi Shankar to Willie Nelson and everything in between.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
I hadn't seen the thread in several days, and it's only now come to my attention that things seem to have derailed here. I've skimmed the whole thread, and I'm going to lock this while I determine which posts to delete and which members get warned or banned.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
This thread has been cleaned up a bit to remove the more grating posts that tended towards personal slander. This also involved removing some innocent ones that were simply responding to the now deleted posts.

Please, please, lets not stoop to this level of discourse. And in future if someone says something inappropriate, try reporting the post to the moderators rather than simply responding in like manner ... that is why we are here, to keep things civil.

www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans