Author Topic: Any other photography people out there ?  (Read 655 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Any other photography people out there ?
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:21:16 AM »
I'm something of a hobbyist photographer, in that I just do it for the fun I get from it. Saying that, I spend a lot of time doing it. I'm currently using a Sony RX100 and a Sony R1 - both good cameras. These cameras aren't the latest and greatest, but they suit my purposes. I see a gear lust analogy in the photography world, where (for example) some folks over at DP review are constantly buying and selling the newest and the best gear and are never being satisfied with the results they get (technically).

What I do is essentially a documentation of things I see out on my walks, my observations of the world I see (mostly the rural environment in the North-east of the UK). I'm keen on macro photography, as it shows a hitherto unseen world of detail for me. Lastly, my dog 'Maxa' is a much photographed subject.

I probably post about 5% of the shots I take, I try to be selective. I'm learning new techniques all the time and I've recently got into filters - infra-red, graduated color density etc on the RX100. I intend to do more Video work further down the line, as the RX100 takes pretty good video footage.

Anyway, there's a fair bit of my work over at my blog (under the photography category)

http://igneousflame.wordpress.com/category/photography/

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:31:02 AM by petekelly »

Boris Lelong

• View Profile
    • Cinematic Soundscapes :: World Music Projects
Re: Any other photography people out there ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »
Hello Pete,
You have beautiful photographs on your blog indeed !
I particularly like the black&white texture-sky (Fade.jpg) and the fire ferns.
I have also been doing quite a lot of photos over the years, of people, landscapes, nature, music... Here's my sample page : http://www.borislelong.com/image/photo
Ambient music and photography can have a lot in common !
Best.
Boris

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »
Many thanks, Boris !

Particularly like the 'people' section on your site.
Yes, I agree, I think ambient music and photography can have a lot in common.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »
Nice photos Pete.

I am thinking about getting back into photography. Used to have my own darkroom set up etc when I was a young lad........... then sold my Nikon and all my lenses  :( to buy another guitar. Just been using my iphone and ipod touch for pictures. Not quite the same.

Trees especially silhouettes and landscapes were my thing. Like your tree pictures very much and your doggie ! Just had to put my 15year old cross colly/lab  Brodie to sleep this after a very sudden deterioration this week. Gutted  :'(.

Will have to do some research on a reasonably priced digi SLR camera and get back into this.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:02:49 AM »
I've also enjoyed photography since my teen years, including experience in the darkroom, but wasn't very good at developing my own stills. Like Thirdsystem, nature-themed imagery is my preference. They make for good album covers.  ;D

I also enjoy time-lapse photography, and have been fascinated by it since watching Baraka back in the 90s. Luckily with DSLRs, it's an easy task. My first attempt was using a DV camera back in 2000 for a short film. I shot it in real-time, captured it into the computer, and sped it up 2000% or so. Worked very well.

The benefit of doing it this way is complete control over how quickly things moved in post. Doing it in the DSLR (as actual stills) means you need to know how often to take a photo to get the speed you're looking for. However, a benefit of using a still camera allows for very long shutter speeds in darker scenes.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:17:27 AM »
'thirdsystem'
Sorry to hear about 'Brodie', my old girl is approaching 15 and I dread the time when she passes on.
I used a darkroom when I was in the photography club at school - very toxic, all those chemicals way back in the olden days ! Good cameras are cheap these days, but the range is enormous.

Mike

Yes, time-lapse photography is fascinating, I think that the 'time compression' element of it and the viewing of unseen worlds with macro photography are very interesting. Nature is my favoured theme, but heavy industry is something else I find fascinating (in a strange way)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
After art collage in the UK I studied for a BA in photography which amounted to taking lots of pictures and forced to read academic books to earn degree status, well after two years I tired of reading more than I was taking pictures so I dropped out returned to NYC where I am from and got a job as an assistant to the photographer Irving Penn 

Here is a pinterest link to some of Penn's work, it was quiet an an experience for a 21 year old aspiring photographer, some of the pictures shown were taken when I worked for him...Miles Davis & Skulls http://www.pinterest.com/iellelaflamme/irving-penn-photos/.

During that period I was also painting and that sort took over and photography was put on the shelf for some 25 years or so as more important things developed like making ambient music ;)

I have been making pictures over the last few years in a more constructive way than just holiday snaps. Mostly black and white.  Im putting a gallery website together that is still under construction but will link it when its finished.

Really enjoyed your pictures Pete......I lived about 25 miles north of York when I was about 10 and the countryside and moors are still in my heart.  What a great place for a walkabout with camera!

Sorry to hear about your Pup thirdsystem.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:47:40 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Hey Julio, you've been involved in some real photography !

I take it 'art collage' was an unintended descriptor ? :) Please link to your gallery site when it's ready.
Up on the moors eh, whereabouts ? I know the NYM reasonably well. Small world, indeed.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
Decent education and I still cant spell ;D.

Working for Penn was one of those strange anomalies in life that was never followed through regarding a career, however somewhere in my head, perhaps lost by now is a wealth of photographic studio knowledge.  When your young you dont realize sometimes the significance of situations and the opportunities that can arise from them.  One of my responsibilities was to load all the film, 8x10 sheet film, 120 roll film for the Hasselblad. Today I don't think I would have the nerve to handle it....if I had put the film in the wrong way and the shoot was for the cover of Vogue that Penn did every month :o  When your 21 the ramifications are not so clear.  What I was "exposed" to was a great photographic experience where craft and creativity was the ethos.

Thanks for the time to reminisce.

Actually now that I think about it Pete I lived about 5 miles out of York in Shipton by Beningbrough and went to school outside of Helmsley in a tiny village called Bedlam and Norton, actually 2 tiny villages put together I believe.  That would be ages 7-12. 

Those were certainly formative years spent in Yorkshire and because of those beautiful bleak moors is perhaps why now I look to the landscape for photography. Though a stroll around here in S.E. Florida (the parts that are not strip centers and shopping malls) could mean encounters with alligators or diamond back rattle snakes and wild boar.  Fun Fun!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:36:38 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 03:54:31 AM »
[...] but heavy industry is something else I find fascinating (in a strange way)

Absolutely. That, and urban decay.

One of my responsibilities was to load all the film, 8x10 sheet film, 120 roll film for the Hasselblad.

I knew about large format cameras, but never something this large. Wow! :o
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:53:31 AM »
[...] but heavy industry is something else I find fascinating (in a strange way)

Absolutely. That, and urban decay.

I like photographing dead trees....living trees are beautiful but dead ones are equally so.

I knew about large format cameras, but never something this large. Wow! :o

Too see a contact print from an 8x10 negative.....absolutely grainless. I have great respect for those old landscape photographs such as Ansel Adams & Edward Weston hauling those 8x10 view cameras around and the sheet film holders...how many do you take, 20 and you would need a trunk to carry them all.   Its still used a lot today but most dont use darkroom techniques to process instead the negs or transparencies are drum scanned and then uploaded just like a file out of a digital camera. 

Here's a link to a photographer I like that uses an 8x10 camera to this day, Richard Misrach http://www.pinterest.com/kevin1669/richard-misrach/

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 06:39:15 AM »
Small world Julio, indeed !

Here's a link to a great selection of infra-red shots taken in Iceland:

http://www.andylee.co/galleries/#/iceland-i/

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:40:47 AM »
Those infra red shots really pop......the blacks are so black.  Beautiful images!

And you Pete.....do you live in the Yorkshire area or close to?

Boris Lelong

• View Profile
    • Cinematic Soundscapes :: World Music Projects
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 08:08:09 AM »
These photos from Iceland are gorgeous !

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 03:39:25 AM »
Indeed. Those Iceland shots are absolutely stunning.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
I thought those Iceland images would be appreciated here.

Yes, Julio North Yorks, am familiar with both those places.

lansuminc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »
They are beautiful. Keep it up:)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
I love photography - but have been sadly not doing it for a while now.  Just iphone photos.  (the camera you have with you... etc...)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
I have my photography site up and running......http://juliodibenedetto.zenfolio.com

The site is still in its infancy as I work with content & design etc....still Im pleased with this first offering....."Driftwood".  The images were made in the summer of 2013 in Costa Rica during a surf trip.

Just let the sildeshow run on the home page will give you a good sense......if you what to spend any time with an image go to photography and click on Driftwood.

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:23:35 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »
Great work Julio,

I wish I knew more about the technical aspects of black and white photography to be able to make some informed comments, but they certainly appeal to me on an aesthetic level.