Author Topic: My review of "Ad Lucem" CD by Gleisberg & Grassow  (Read 178 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Ad Lucem" CD by Gleisberg & Grassow
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »

Gleisberg & Grassow "Ad Lucem" CD

German drone kaiser Mathias Grassow has found his safe home longer time ago at applauded Swedish label gterma. After several solo albums and one collaboration with Carsten Agthe on this label, Mathias Grassow teams up with another kindred spirit, Rüdiger Gleisberg, with whom he extensively worked on acclaimed projects such as Nostalgia and KarmaCosmic. "Ad Lucem" was released in June 2014 and as usual for all gterma jewel case packagings, it features 16-page booklet with catchy panoramic pictures by gterma's owner Johan Rehn. The booklet's info says the tracks were composed between 2009 and 2014, while the mastering duties were handled by A.P aka Anders Peterson (also the man behind Ghost Sounds).

14-plus minute "Arcane" ignites the journey with mesmerizing drone monochromatism, spirally vanishing in deep chasmal realms, but whispering female voice persistently illuminate this mysterious trajectory surrounded by undulating phantasmal hums. Clandestine choirs permeate intangibly through crepuscular sceneries here and there. A very strong overture!!! "Cicada" is awaken by Middle East duduk fragranced moans, but the center stage is quickly stolen by graciously expansive horizons intermingling with soothing natural fragments. The drone intensely spreads and placidly traverses through grippingly mindscaping passageways accompanied by remote female and male chorus and urban environments. The title track "Ad Lucem" delves into more flatlined foundations with escalating cacophonous turmoils and ghostly apparitions thrown in for navigating the listener into the dark unfathomed caves of nothingness. Yes, a truly transcendental listening adventure awaits here!!! But "Mirabile Dictu" continues on journeying through an unplumbed depths, industrialized squeaks sound quite foreboding, while other eerie embellishments evoke a quite hazardous subaqueous odyssey. But after 5th minute this underwater dronescape serenely transmutes into more static, yet expansively majestic zones of utterly immense dimensions. Prayers of Buddhist monks occasionally emerge from oblivion and augment monstrously monochromatic panoramas. "Sapere Aude" is unfolded with exotic tinkles, but deeply mesmerizing drone sharply invades, while celestial choirs guard above. Fragments of overtone voice magic add another pleasant scent, although wrapped by brumous blankets. "Nova Incognita" is the shortest piece and closes "Ad Lucem" with rather organic intro, but quite dissonant too. Swelling sonic walls persistently interact with noisier outbursts, even if thick and intense, the overall mood is hauntingly illuminated with some sparkling scraps.

"Ad Lucem" is a joint endeavor at its most thrilling and immersing, where a genuinely mind-blowing scenario is guaranteed!!! Definitely a must-have for all followers of Mathias Grassow & Rüdiger Gleisberg. A headphone listening is strongly recommended, although your speakers impatiently await another drone exercise. A high-five to Johan Rehn/gterma for continuous support of this gifted drone brilliance!!! Tack sċ mycket!!!

Richard Gürtler (Aug 03, 2014, Bratislava, Slovakia)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:16:18 PM by richardgurtler »

drone on

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Ad Lucem" CD by Gleisberg & Grassow
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:58:25 PM »
Grassow never appeared on any Solitaire album with Gleisberg. 

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Grassow never appeared on any Solitaire album with Gleisberg.

Oops, thanks a lot Chris, you are right, I thought of "Nocturnes", but I was wrong. I have to correct this mistake.

Richard

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:14:37 PM »
And the same goes for Laudanum, another mistake...  :(

Richard

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 11:34:53 PM »
Once again, thanks a lot, Chris, for your good eye!!!  ;)

Richard

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
Yes, all these projects can be confusing.  Actually Amir Baghiri appeared on two Solitaire albums, which are Nocturnes and Fearless.