Author Topic: Any Genesis fans?  (Read 923 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Any Genesis fans?
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »
Any opinions on Gabriel vs Post Gabriel, favorite releases, etc?  I just got Seconds Out, excellent live album where Steve Hackett was still in the band.  How about those 2008 reissues which many fans condemned for remixing the music, however slightly?

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: Any Genesis fans?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:36:14 AM »
I was never a huge fan, but I liked them quite a lot, they had a very english / pastoral sound to me. Post-gabriel, I think 'And then there were three' was a great album. Peter Gabriel's early solo work was much more to my taste - his third and fourth albums being particularly powerful and edgy.
I liked Steve Hackett's work and was fortunate to see him solo (can't remember the album he was promoting)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Genesis  8)

Seconds Out  is one of the greatest albums of all time imho. Magnificent. Wonderful album cover.

I like all the earlier Gabriel ones but studio wise I would say "Lamb Lies Down" is an amazing work. Post Gabriel "A Trick Of The Tale" and "Then There Were Three" are my favourite albums, possibly of all Genesis releases. Duke is pretty good but I found anything after that a bit disappointing and those "Live The Way We Walk" albums are utter pish and an affront to ones aural cavities  :(

Peter Gabriel, for me, is probably the best vocalist that has sung a song.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:34:55 AM »
Genesis : A Trick or the Tale & Duke  8)

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »
I saw them as a teen during their "Wind & Wuthering" tour.  As you can imagine, the air was thick with pot.  Great memories of that band, at least before they went pop.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »
That's funny, I think my favorite album is Wind & Wuthering, with the amazing Afterglow and Blood on the Rooftops. 

Question:  post Gabriel, who wrote the lyrics? 

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »
I've been a big Genesis fan since Wind & Wuthering.  Seconds Out is one if my favorite post-Gabriel albums, along with W & W and Trick of the Tail.  I love all the Gabriel era albums, each for different songs & different reasons.

Because I've been a fan for nearly 40 years, I find myself being drawn to things I haven't "over listened" to - albums like Trespass and tracks such as "Can-Utility and the Coastliners," "The Fountain Of Salmacis," "Hairless Heart" & "Blood on the Rooftops."

I started slowly losing interest after Hackett left as each album turned more poppy and eventually became unlistenable.  I saw the Collins version of the band 4 times & really wish I'd been able to catch them during Gabriel's time.  With all the different reunion tours that happen every year, it sure would be nice to see Genesis give it a go(while they are still able to).

I just discovered a bunch of videos on youtube which are essentially interviews with all the band members talking about each album individually.  They are great fun to watch & learn about the band's process & thinking at the time.  Here's the vid with the Foxtrot interviews...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlCN2gBKazI&list=PLTLIpQ7SqcsinxnSA_evE2IehfVjvmA8J&index=2

post Gabriel, who wrote the lyrics?  - They all took turns, with Banks doing a bit more of it in the early post Gabriel time.  During the Gabriel era I think Peter was responsible for about half the lyrics except for The Lamb on which he wrote all of the lyrics.

How about those 2008 reissues?  -  I generally really like all the reissues, I was able to hear things that I hadn't noticed before.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »
As a surround sound aficionado (a nice word for nut) I was very pleased with the Gabriel Era box. Wonderfully remixed and mastered music to envelope you. The older albums like Trepass speak to me more now. I bought the Trick of the Tail remaster but it had a thinner and perhaps more compressed sound, which I have read is a problem with the non-Gabriel remasters.

I drifted away slowly after Gabriel left. My friend continued to buy their albums so I got to experience them and usually just found a song or two connecting with me on each one. I was fortunate to experience the Selling England and Lamb Lies tours which were brilliant and Collins was a killer drummer then. Saw at least 2 or 3 of the later tours with Bruford or Thompson as the main drummers too and they were very enjoyable concerts.

I would highly recommend the Gabriel Era box to anyone with a Genesis interest or love. There's an extra disc of quality early material too - also in surround sound and the extensive interviews with each member for each album are enlightening and enjoyable. (These are probaly the aforementioned YouTube interviews.) Lamb Lies also has the original concert slides synced to the music and some concert footage bits reasonably synced to the album versions.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 04:39:52 AM »
As an aside, I have managed to collect all the Genesis 7"singles recently, well at least all the tunes I like. This includes the early stuff;

I Know What I Like b/w Twighlight Alehouse
Counting Out Time b/w Riding The Scree
The Carpet Crawlers b/w The Waiting Room (Evil Jam)

Cost me a small fortune.

Also managed to get Dave Greenslade 7" from The Penateuch album. Who would have thought a single would have been released from that btw !!.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30:52 AM »
I was a Genesis fan since probably Nursery Cryme or Foxtrot. I managed to see the "Lamb Lies Down" tour in '74 with Gabriel(I would have killed to get my hands on Phil Collins' magnificent drum kit), then the "Trick of the Tail" and Wind & Wuthering tours.

After I heard "Follow You Follow Me" on the "...and then there were Three" album, I knew the love affair was over. Of course, that marked the beginning of their most commercially successful period. I never could stand the pop sound the band adopted, and missed Gabriel's story-telling.

Obviously, my preference is for the Gabriel-era work. If nothing else, I recommend "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway." An epic concept rock album that should be in any pro-rocker's library.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »
funnily enough Genesis never grabbed, despite Peter Gabriel's creativity.

Now the Pentatuech of Cosmology - great album and great art....

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »
I guess I will be in the minority but I pretty much like it all from "Genesis To Revelation" all the way to "We can't Dance". There are even a few good songs and a nice edge to " Calling All Stations" even if it is largely forgettable as a whole.

I think in someways Genesis are one if the only Prog bands who made a successful transition into the 1980's without sounding forced or fake. Yes had one good pop album but could not sustain their trajectory. Genesis on the other hand, along with Gabriel on his own really had a hand in defining pop in the 80's rather than simply being followers.

I think all in all " Duke" is a masterpiece and the best album of the trio era.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 11:57:04 PM »
I only saw them live once on the Abacab tour, probably to me their last ok album with Duke being their last strong one. After that just a few songs here and there were ok. I love the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis, some of my favorite stuff from them.

I saw Peter Gabriel live many times, and Security(4) is one of my all time favorite albums, it would be a desert island disc for sure. And the show for that tour was amazing, one of my favorite all time concerts.

Personally I think both Genesis and Gabriel suffered creatively in the late 80s. I know a lot of people love it, and it was his break out album but So is one of my least favorites of his (with 2 being my least favorite). I always thought SO stood for "Sold Out."   ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 01:33:52 AM »
People go on about Collins vs. Gabriel but Genesis was really Tony
Banks's band.  His keyboard playing was the heart of the Genesis
sound.  Like Paul, I too liked both eras, and followed the band from
the '70s to the '90s.  Yes I prefer the old stuff (Foxtrox, Selling
England by the Pound
) as well as the early Collins vocal era (Trick of
the Tail, Wind & Wuthering
).

It would have become boring had they just kept churning out the same
album.  The band lasted as long as it did because of the evolution.
Whether you hate the We Can't Dance stadium-rock era, you have to
admit and applaud their musical creativity and longevity.  Amongst the
pop-chart numbers there were still inventive Genesis tracks in the
classic mould.

Re. the `pish', being an older fan I didn't appreciate only having a
medley of old songs when they played at Wembley, just throwing it all
away.  If you're an old-style Genesis fan you should try to catch
Steve Hackett live in a small venue.  It's thrilling being just a few
feet from the maestro and see how he makes those distinctive sounds.
His band even plays Firth of Fifth with the full piano introduction,
as do an excellent tribute band G2, whom I've seen a few times.  While
many in the audience have grey hair, if they've any hair, it's great
to observe teenagers present (and comment on YouTube) 'discovering'
the '70s prog music and appreciating it.

Of late I've been listening to quite a bit of neo-prog (including Phil
Collins's son Simon who is a chip off the old block), and Steve Hackett's
Genesis Revisited II.

Peter Gabriel may have sold out to pop (So was my first CD--"It's a
Knockout" and there was the inventive Sledgehammer video), but PG has
promoted a lot of world music, bringing the diversity of its sounds
into various genres including pop and ambient.  His music has covered
a broad spectrum.  On stage he's still entertaining doing quirky things
like riding a bike.

Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »
There are some good moments on Calling All Stations right enough. The lad that sings on that album came from a fairly iconic, Scottish Heavy Rock band called Stiltskin. I liked them and couldn't believe he had joined one of my favourite bands Genesis. Great voice.

Re Gabriel 4. I saw him on that tour also. Edinburgh '83. Amazing stage performance by the man. Shock the monkey.......swinging from monkey bars on the stage before falling into the crowd. Have to say there are some stunning songs on So ......Red Rain, In Your Eyes, Mercy Street.

Favourite of all PG albums for me has to be 3...Intruder, No Self Control, I Don't Remember , And Through The Wire, Games Without Frontiers, Not One Of Us, Lead A Normal Life, Biko. Fantastic musicians including Stick Bass man Levin and one of my favourite guitarists David Rhodes. Iconic album has to be in my top 20.

Gabriel , for me, is the best vocalist there has ever been.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
I think Peter was at his peak with Security.  The live album Plays Live from that tour is amazing and so powerful.  I agree that So was a step down and too commercial.  I saw that tour and he was great, as he still played many of the older solo material.  It's puzzling what happened to his songwriting and creativity over the subsequent years.  His last solo album was weak, and these recent releases of cover songs and symphonic performances are just awful...

I listened to Trick of the Tail yesterday and boy what a mediocre album.  The first track is good but the rest is meandering and totally forgettable.  IMO, the next one Wind and Wuthering was so much better. 

I've been enjoying all the interviews posted on YouTube from the reissue CD/DVD sets.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
I saw Gabriel on the Security tour as well and it remains one of my favorite shows of all time.  I remember the show starting with the band walking down the aisles, from the back of the theater, all playing various percussion instruments as they eventually made it to the stage playing Rhythm of the Heat.  For the song Lay Your Hands On Me, Gabriel walked on the backs of the theater seats singing "lay your hands on me" while the fans were reaching out to touch him.  It was like Jesus wading through a fevered crowd.

Fav PG albums in order(not including his excellent soundtracks):
1. Security
2. So
3. 3
4. 1&2
5. Up
6. Us
7. Scratch My Back
8. New Blood

I have many of the other Genesis solo outings and they are interesting and varied in quality.  I still have a copy of Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling and will listen occasionally for nostalgia sake but it's really not very good.  My favorite Mike Rutherford solo effort is Smallcreep's Day.  It's not great but has some very good moments, with better guitar playing than normal from Rutherford & keys from former bandmate Anthony Phillips.  Speaking of Phillips, I've got several of his albums which I still like, with my fav being 1984.  It's got drum machines & tons of big synths, what more could I want back in 1981?!

Obviously the Phil Collins solo stuff is on a different planet entirely.  I did like the first 3 albums back in the day but I can barely listen to any of his stuff now.  Except for Face Value, which is a pretty darn good pop album.  I remember buying it the day it was released, putting it on the turntable and being absolutely blown away by In The Air Tonight.  Thanks to The Hangover & the rest of Collins career, the song has become almost a parody of itself but at the time it was pretty awesome.  Face Value also has a nice cover of the Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows.

Top spot for Genesis solo material goes to two Steve Hackett recordings, Voyage of the Acolyte and Spectral Mornings.  A lot of Hackett's albums are hit & miss, each usually has a couple good cuts.  But these two early albums are excellent.

Before I finish this too-long post, here are my favorite Genesis albums in order:

1. The Lamb
2. Foxtrot
3. Trick Of The Tail
4. Seconds Out
5. Trespass
6. Wind & Wuthering
7. Selling England By The Pound
8. Nursery Cryme
9. Live
10. And Then There Were Three

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 01:29:03 PM »
'Spectral Mornings' is indeed excellent, am currently re-visiting it and it still sounds good, even now.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
Cool idea Dave!

If I was to put all of the Genesis albums in order for me it would be:

1. Selling England By The Pound
2. Duke
3 Trick Of The Tail
4. Wind & Wuthering
5. Foxtrot
6. Abacab
7. And Then There Were Three
8. Trespass
9. Nursery Crime
10. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
11. Genesis
12. We Can't Dance
13. Invisible Touch
14. Calling All Stations
15. From Genesis To Revelation

I do like the live albums too and would rank them

1. Seconds Out
2. 3-Sides Live
3. Live
4. Live Over Europe 2007
5. Live The Way We Walk

For Gabriel

1. Gabriel 3 (Melt)
2. Gabriel 4 (Security)
3. So
4. US
5. UP
6. Scratch My Back
7. New Blood
8. Gabriel 1 (Car)
9. Gabriel 2 (Scratch)

And I should mention that Gabriel's Passion is one of my top 2 favorite albums of all time!

"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
I saw Gabriel on the Security tour as well and it remains one of my favorite shows of all time.  I remember the show starting with the band walking down the aisles, from the back of the theater, all playing various percussion instruments as they eventually made it to the stage playing Rhythm of the Heat.  For the song Lay Your Hands On Me, Gabriel walked on the backs of the theater seats singing "lay your hands on me" while the fans were reaching out to touch him.  It was like Jesus wading through a fevered crowd.

I forgot about the band walking in through the aisles playing, that was a great way to start. But for Lay Your Hands On Me he took it a step further for my show. During the ending part where the band keeps singing the title "Lay your hands on me" over and over again. Peter walked out to the foot of the stage, put his arms out in a cross, turned his back to the audience, and then just fell backwards into the audience. They grabbed him as he fell holding him above their heads and moved him around the front 10 rows like a beach ball at a sports event. All the while Peter with a wireless handheld mic in his hand would sing "over meeeee!" again and again. Finally he "surfed" his way back to the stage and ended the song.

I agree 3 or Melt (I heard an interview with Peter where he referred to his earlier albums by their cover art, so in order was "Car," "Scratch," and "Melt") is a great album as well, maybe my second favorite. And yes So does have some great songs, "Red Rain" being one, but I understand that was a left over track from Security, it sure fits in better with that album if you ask me. I even like Up, the song "I Grieve" is a very personal song that I relate to, my father had just passed away and that song really talked to me during that time period.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell