Author Topic: Hawkwind  (Read 4910 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Hawkwind
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
I've been having trouble holding back my enthusiam, talking about this band in other threads, so it is time to dedicate one. From first hearing Michael Moorcock scream out "The Wizard Blew His Horn!" almost a year ago, my attraction to this band has been increasing, to the the point where I am now a most avid listener, and have come to appreciate the totality of what they and the artists and writers around them accomplished. It seems that there are some other Hawkfans out on the Hypnos forum, and I hope by this to bring them from the aether to tell tales of sonic journeying, of live shows, of favorite albums, of love (or scorn, as it were), etc...

Watch this excellent and informative BBC documentary on the band:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:48:02 PM by 9dragons »

Steve Lazur

• View Profile
Re: Hawkwind
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »
Ah yes, Hawkwind, I have been listening to them since The Space Ritual Album came out. I saw them in concert many times back in Detroit. Once they played two weekends in a row. I had to go to both shows. Their music was my soundtrack for cruising the boulevards at night in my race car. I still enjoy their music to this day, even through their many changes. I am always checking Amazon for anything new. I see there is a new release of Space Ritual for playing on a DVD player. I wish they would have stayed together in their original lineup, that was when they were at their best.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 04:58:39 AM »
Hawkwind were my first favourite band - mainly as the music included many of the noises i had made for years (and annoyed my father with) - so it felt like home. From there I discovered electronic music in 1976/77.

As I said in another thread, I saw them as often as possible over a few years. Tried to get back into them a little while back but although i love the music I find the lyrics now psycho babble or depressing.......something pointed out by my wife and grudgingly agreed with...

But my listening to all of the albums up till Levitation make the soundtrack of my youth - my first LP was Roadhawks and the version of 'You Shouldn't Do That' is a damm good stonking , noisy track.

The DVD of space ritual is audio only (they do use some of the graphics from the album cover, but it is very basic, they could have put more effort into it)  the packaging did not make this clear so I was expecting to watch the show and felt that UA sold us short. There are seperate clips of performances of Urban Guerilla and Silver Machine with Stacia dancing. The cover is very good and the booklet goes into some detail of the artistic intent put into the stage show, including colours and 'astrological resonances' for each musician.....

The CDs in the set are great, with alternative live versions of some of the tracks including a wonderfully chaotic one of (I think) Time We Left.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »
I only got into these guys about 2 years ago and it was like, "why didn't I discover this earlier?!!" They are the Kings of Spacerock, without a doubt.  Believe the hype...

phrozenlight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:30:03 AM »
I love them since Space Ritual  ;D

thanks to Harvey Bainbridge solo album "Interstellar Chaos" I started to create my own spacetrips

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
Space Ritual: http://www.spaceritual.org/index.html

Otherworld song sample: http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric/artists/spaceritual.htm

This new album by Space Ritual, "Otherworld" features all people who were involved with early Hawkwind. It is actually a great album in its own right! It has some great Mike Moorcock lyrics, and though not much Nik Turner wind instrument action, his vocals are rich and powerful. So many styles meshed together on this, and it is super catchy, maybe too catchy! The production is different from Hawkwind, being super sleek and almost too clean. No delightfully filthy jamming. But the songs are great...I would say it is closest to the '76-'79 Hawkwind sound, and is probably what the band would sound like today if Nik had not been booted out. One glaring absence is of course Brock's unique guitar action. Things feel a bit thin without it, and the guitar sounds on here are not too outstanding. But overall this album is better than any modern space rock (is there even any modern space rock?) or whatever bands are trying to do these days. Way more guts and imagination and weirdness. It is worth it just for Nik's personality, lyrics, and vocals alone...

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »
I highly recommend the re-issue of Nik Turner's Sphynx album "Xitintoday". Originally released in 1978, after Nik was out of Hawkwind, this album is based on his flute playing in the Great Pyramid. The vast echoing sounds give it a shakuhachi edge. A fantastical trip through Egyptian myth, so well evoked by Nik's lyrics and bizarre singing style. Some good musicians like Steve Hillage play on this as well. This album is dreamlike, and quite a wonderful surprise if you are also a fan of Hawkwind. The bonus track is a ragingly glorious 29 minute flute solo which to my ears stands up to zenned out Japanese monk shakuhachi playing. Also very worthy of note is the genius album art by Barney Bubbles, who designed the great Hawkwind covers. Different than his other stuff, very clever text-based art.

This album is a total sound, wonderful as an entire concept to experience all the way through...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:58:01 PM by 9dragons »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:40:04 PM »
Great band,

The albums I like most,

Warrior on the Edge of Time
Levitation
Hawkwind (1970)
Doremi Fasol Latido

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 12:55:03 AM »
I highly recommend the re-issue of Nik Turner's Sphynx album "Xitintoday". Originally released in 1978, after Nik was out of Hawkwind, this album is based on his flute playing in the Great Pyramid. The vast echoing sounds give it a shakuhachi edge. A fantastical trip through Egyptian myth, so well evoked by Nik's lyrics and bizarre singing style. Some good musicians like Steve Hillage play on this as well. This album is dreamlike, and quite a wonderful surprise if you are also a fan of Hawkwind. The bonus track is a ragingly glorious 29 minute flute solo which to my ears stands up to zenned out Japanese monk shakuhachi playing. Also very worthy of note is the genius album art by Barney Bubbles, who designed the great Hawkwind covers. Different than his other stuff, very clever text-based art.

This album is a total sound, wonderful as an entire concept to experience all the way through...

One of my favourites and I managed to get a copy earlier this year. There is another more rocked up version, but I did not like it at all.

Other great hawkwind related rleases are New World's Fair by Michael Moorcock and the Deep Fix and Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters by Robert Calvert....

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 06:49:15 AM »
Ambient-related-bonus points... Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters by Robert Calvert has some tracks with Brian Eno.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Other great hawkwind related rleases are New World's Fair by Michael Moorcock and the Deep Fix and Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters by Robert Calvert....

I am a huge fan of the Calvert era of Hawkwind, and like his solo material as well. "Lucky Leif and the Longships" has some great songs on it, very valiant and wonderfully written viking themed rock, but with the genius twists Calvert gives to everything he does. That Beach Boys style song about pillaging and destruction is hilarious. Since Hawkwind was virtually the backing band for these early solo outings, I consider them to be part of the Hawkwind canon.

Speaking of "Deep Fix", I wanted to get into it, but couldn't quite enjoy the latter part of the album. After the first couple songs, it seemed to go down hill. Will most likely end up listening to it again though.

Something very cool that I hope some hardcore Hawkfan out there can verify: I was searching for info on Del Dettmar, and found this link http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2007/04/del-dettmar-with-gerald-toon.html to a download of an album apparently from 1980, called "Synthesis", a collaboration with a musician named Gerald Toon, who I know nothing about. This album is quite good, especially if you are into tripped out, old school sci-fi drenched synth action. It has that exquisite retro-futuristic feel of the synth work from Hawkwind, and there are some true gems on the album. I was doubting it was really Del himself when I was downloading, but after listening I feel that it's definitely him. Those beautiful, spacey, somehow humorous, but deep and weird sounds are unmistakeable. Makes me wish he had made more solo music. Any info on this one would be most welcome.