Author Topic: Chef Thread:  (Read 2542 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Chef Thread:
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:32:53 AM »
Baked Trout:

Tin Foil with a little olive oil on to stop the fish sticking.

Fish should be fully deheaded and de-finned

Place fish on the foil and add a little butter on top, black pepper to taste.

Place a number of baby plum tomatoes and 'half moon' slices of orange and yellow peppers tightly around the fish, drizzle soya sauce over this and then finely cut coriander leaf dropped over the fish in the centre.

Fold over the foil to enclose - preferably not touching the food on the top.

Place in preheated oven gas mark 9 for 20 mins.

The foil should hold in all the juices/fuids making this a moist meal.

Once cooked slide the whole lot onto a plate - If cooked to the right moment the top side of fish should peel off the bones easily, then the bones should peel off the bottom side in one complete piece.

I occasionally cook rice as well, but numerous people have found this in itself enough for a main course.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:39:19 AM by Seren »

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Chef Thread:
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:38:14 AM »
Roasted Rice:

wholegrain rice - ceramic or stainless steeel pan - wooden stirring spoon  - water......

place the wholegrain rice in a completely dry pan and put the heat on full.

As the rice heats up it will slightly pop and turn brown - keep stirring to ensure even browning.

Keep stirring till the rice until it is as raosted as you prefer.

Take the pan and a kettle of boiling water OUTSIDE and place the pan on the floor - concrete or stone - nothing that will melt or burn.......

Pour in about the same amount of water as there is rice, possibly a little more.

STAND BACK

When everything has calmed down return the pan to the hob, add more water if needed and complete the cooking as usual till the rice is as soft or 'al dente' as you prefer.

Drain the water and serve.

...the STAND BACK part can used as entertainement if guests are there....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:40:45 AM by Seren »

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 04:06:33 AM »
Almost every PTing meal:-

remove outer packaging and pierce film, nuke as per instructions until that telltale PTing beckons you to return, peel back film and tip out liberally on to a plate or bowl, fill your boots LOL :-)

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 04:58:08 AM »

Potato Rosti (Hash Browns).....2parts grated raw potato to 1 part grated raw onion.  Mixed together in a bowl add salt and pepper to taste. Heat up non stick blini pan3"or small frying pan add clarified butter.  Form potato in hand and place in pan.  Potato cake should appear to be swimming in butter...it will be absorbed.  Cook until brown on both sides and finish in hot oven if necessary.  Concerned about excessive butter.  Clarified butter is ok since the butter fat has been removed.  Indian cuisine call it Ghee and is an important part of cell regeneration.

Pan Roasted Alaskan Halibut, Potato Rosti with a Fricasse of Lobster, Roast Brussel Sprouts & Cauliflower, Grain Mustard Sauce & Basil Oil

Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Bowl.  Udon & Soba Noodles, Teriyaki Glazed Bok Choy, Kimchi, Wakami Seaweed Salad & Ramen Broth.

Thanks for getting this thread going Seren...I will come back and add recipes to these dishes like Quick Kimchi and Ramen Noodle Broth

Pictures are from last friday night dinner service
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:33:57 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »
They look very nice Julio, when can I come???? ;D

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
ok.  i'm hungry now.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »
Yes, very tasty looking and sounding !

I do all the cooking at Flame Acres, but I'm only an amateur - but a hungry one, at that ! The eternal search for a good curry making methodology is still ongoing...

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
"Flame Acres"..... ;D

its easy enough to create great dishes with unusual exotic and often expensive ingredients, its considerable harder and challenging to make great dishes with simple ingredients cooked in unusual ways.... such as Moroccan cuisine and the use of a Tagine....a unique clay braising device.  (Internet stock photos)

Likewise on the curry Pete......I recently got a book from the UK...."The Curry Secret,  how to cook real indian restaurant food at home by Kris Dhillon.  Its so simple I actually dont believe it.  Theres just one base sauce and then a few additional spice depending what the recipe is.  Compared to what Ive been doing, grinding, pureeing, tempering roast spice this that and the other all based on traditional indian cooking. One simple sauce sounds nuts.  Still haven't tried it yet though

I understand the shortcuts...use them all the time, like those potato cakes above were browned and par cooked as shown at 3.00pm....first order came in at say 6.00pm and a cake was finished at the same time the halibut was cooked for the order.  Those Potato Rosti's take a good 10-15mins or so to get to that golden brown and more to cook all the way through.  You cant do that in service unless you have 20 cooks in the kitchen.  I have 5 including myself.

Heres a link to the best "Indian Butter Chicken" I found so far.... I try to use yogurt when the recipe calls for cream.

Seren that Trout sounds really good!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:08:08 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »
very awesome......I think we all need to go over to Mike's house and let the great chefs cook and feed everyone.....
make a huge announcement and make part of Lena's birthday:)....
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36