Author Topic: Mired In Twilight  (Read 2522 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Mired In Twilight
« on: June 28, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »
Hi,

MIT is my other project I got off the ground last year with a couple tracks over at www.artistserver.com/miredintwilight but it sort of stagnated for awhile....(like months!). BUT! The good news is that it's got new life finally as we started recording some stuff and I have a rough mix/arrangement my counterpart put together from our recording session a week or so ago. It's about 6+ mins long and I am trying to see if we need to add any more instrumentation to it/layers I may put it up off the site linked possibly to get some feedback if anyone cares to check it out. We recorded drums/strings from his Triton Studio and used a couple tympani from Ugly Remnants loop set which sounds pretty good/deep. But it's a rouggh mix/arrangement and needs a little massaging/effects if we leave it as is. But there are two tracks we did last year (I did the arrangement for Dirge for Grace) and we both worked on the arrangement for A Call To War. This new track I'm feeling would be good for an ending track on a full length...just the vibe I'm getting from the arrangement.

Anyways, check it out if you like. It's more martial than dark ambient but I'm planning on adding that in there somehow....

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
Re: Mired In Twilight
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
Wow, almost 2 yrs since I first posted this thread! Woot a new record for me! LOL. Anyways, I finally tweaked (minorly!) the track me and my buddy created and arranged almost 2 yrs ago and have uploaded it to my artistserver page at www.artistserver.com/miredintwilight if you care to give it a listen and any feedback. We used loops, sampled some stuff from a Triton Studio and whatnot and arranged things to this point. As I said, I only did a little tweaking on the snare sound and adjusted some minor stuff on a couple other clips and renderd it out. I like it.

It'll also be at the Mired In Twilight soundclick page in a little while as well.

Mike

triksterb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »
Listened to The March which I assume was the one you wanted feedback, and I liked the organ and synth parts, but as a drummer, I have to say the rhythm section doesn't work that well.

You wanted this to sound like a cadence in a war, but the snare doesn't really carry it that well.  As it is, it's very flat and has no dynamics to it, and every roll kind of tapers off at the end, which doesn't happen on cadences.  You could try to EQ it to make it stand out more, but the rhythm still doesn't work. 

Another point is to change up the rhythm a little bit.  I didn't really hear any variation throughout the song, so the snare part is just the same thing over and over again.  Throwing in a couple triplets here and there would help.  The timpani could also use a little variation, like a roll into the next part of the song.

Personally, I would change the snare part almost entirely; I would give it a triplet rhythm on 1-2-3 and then a roll on 4, and then throughout the song I would add little fills to change it up a bit.  I would also go through the entire snare tracks and give it random dynamics all over the place to make it sound more real.  The timpani part is fine but I would add rolls before every section to make the new section have more impact.  I would also consider adding a crash at certain points.

Other than that, everything else sounds good.  I really like when the organ first comes in; I just think it would have more impact if the rhythm section built it up more instead of it randomly appearing out of nowhere.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
Listened to The March which I assume was the one you wanted feedback, and I liked the organ and synth parts, but as a drummer, I have to say the rhythm section doesn't work that well.

You wanted this to sound like a cadence in a war, but the snare doesn't really carry it that well.  As it is, it's very flat and has no dynamics to it, and every roll kind of tapers off at the end, which doesn't happen on cadences.  You could try to EQ it to make it stand out more, but the rhythm still doesn't work. 

Another point is to change up the rhythm a little bit.  I didn't really hear any variation throughout the song, so the snare part is just the same thing over and over again.  Throwing in a couple triplets here and there would help.  The timpani could also use a little variation, like a roll into the next part of the song.

Personally, I would change the snare part almost entirely; I would give it a triplet rhythm on 1-2-3 and then a roll on 4, and then throughout the song I would add little fills to change it up a bit.  I would also go through the entire snare tracks and give it random dynamics all over the place to make it sound more real.  The timpani part is fine but I would add rolls before every section to make the new section have more impact.  I would also consider adding a crash at certain points.

Other than that, everything else sounds good.  I really like when the organ first comes in; I just think it would have more impact if the rhythm section built it up more instead of it randomly appearing out of nowhere.

Yay, I got beat up on the snares (which I figured lol)! I don't know what I can do with that other than redo it and redo the entire arrangement if I had to do that (unless I recorded clips of the same length to match up). It'd be a lot of work. I'm happier with it than I was before. I did tweak the snares a bit with some reverb to take the bite out of it. I may look at revamping it once my buddy has a chance to listen to it but we'll see. It may/may not go out on a release depending on a) what I do with it and b) how much more material I get worked out for the rest of it. I am a) not a drummer, b) don't profess to be a drummer and c) need to work more on that area  ;D

But thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do with regards to snare. I think we recorded it off my partner in crimes Triton Studio into Ableton Live As for adding some cymbal work I'll have to load up a couple different ones and play them alone to the track and points to see how it would work out. One at the end perhaps on the fade out could work (china or other maybe). I'll have to see what I got to work with from Battery 2/3 kits/samples. There are a couple of loop libraries I want from Big Fish Audio (Drums of War I think is one) plus an ambient one too but till I get working again I can't splurge.

Mike

triksterb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:36:27 PM »
Yeah the snare sound itself is fine, just the rhythm isn't very cadence like.  Triplets can help a lot here to get a more war like cadence feeling.  The important thing to remember with any drum part ever is to have dynamics and a little variation throughout.

If you have it as a MIDI track in Ableton, you can do what I do and put a Velocity MIDI effect on the track and set the range to about 80-100.  That way it'll add dynamics on its own and you won't have to go through every clip and adjust random notes which can get very tedious. 

It may be a lot of work to redo an entire snare part, but it'll be worth it when the snare can make you march and groove along with it.   ;)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:28:22 AM »
Hi,

It's an audio sample. I will play around a little bit this morning, but don't have a lot of time today (morning) due to things to do. I'll see what I can come up with as I really don't want to have to redo the entire arrangement (but may have to).

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »
I changed the snare track and added some china to another audio track. I like it better now. No rolls for the snare at this point. But I think this works a tad better. I pm'd triksterb to have him evaluate it some more  ;D  thanks dude!

Mike

PS - I thought we did that track 2 yrs ago...I could be right but A Call To War was done in '06? Where the hell is time going?!?!?!?  :o

triksterb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
PMed you back, and just wanted to say in the thread that it sounds great now; just needs a couple little things which I described in the PM.  I really like the sound of it; is there a specific genre for this kind of music?  Keep it up!

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
PMed you back, and just wanted to say in the thread that it sounds great now; just needs a couple little things which I described in the PM.  I really like the sound of it; is there a specific genre for this kind of music?  Keep it up!

Well at least I made some good changes lol  ;D as for genre I am going for a martial/dark ambient/minimalistic approach as I said in my PM earlier. I may make a couple additions of the China to the track but at the moment I think what is there works well enough as I don't want to overdue things. Thanks for the feedback (others welcome as well).

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
Well, after previewing my changes and listening that I am much happier with it overall thanks to at least some feedback on it. I didn't expect a lot and wasn't disappointed in that respect. No dis'ing to the overall fan-base here. I heard what was said and ended up re-doing the whole snare section as well as adding in the China parts and I *personally* liked the changes as did the original responder = makes me hapy. IMHO I did not make a *huge* change but from his input I re-evaluated things and it came out different than the original layout. I am happier with my changes and feel it better fits the song title. You got opinions? I am ablidged to hear and contemplate on but I love my changes to it and feel it fits the overall vibe of the project.