Author Topic: Ambient sound packs for synths ?  (Read 5430 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Ambient sound packs for synths ?
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:30:35 AM »
I've always found the appeal of such things a tad strange, what do other people think ?
For me, the interesting part of exploring and programming a synth (software synths, in my case) is to create your own fairly unique sounds, buying a selection of sounds that someone else describes as ambient, I don't get. Surely this is an area where exploration and imagination may well yield more personalised results ?

Slightly off-topic, but some synths have such a distinctive sound - Native Instrument's 'Razor' for example, that all these presets sound similiar anyway ?

I should say I'm not against using presets at all, it's the marketing of presets that are considered to be specifically 'ambient'
(or for any other genre, for that matter) which escapes me somewhat.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:44:02 AM by petekelly »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: Ambient sound packs for synths ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:05:46 AM »
Generally speaking I have thought the use of "sound packs" as being lazy.....or for film composers on really tight schedules who dont have an army of sound designers as some big names do.

Often the process of sound design is where the joy of composing music can be and where those beautiful accidents take place.  Its about the journey.  Take that away from me and I would stop writing music...well ambient electronic music.

There have been times recently that I had some Live packs available to me and I downloaded them out of curiosity....turn out to be very education, not the sounds themselves but the way Live instrument racks had been set up and suggested to me how modular Live could be.

Presets to can be educational.  Im still learning the depths of my Solaris synth and there are some presets that are very good.  I do like to take time to study what has been done within the patch to create the sound and I have learnt quite a of lot new techniques.  Also these preset patches can give birth to my own sounds as well.

As you suggest Pete, the programming is the joy and the path to our individual voice(s).
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »
Yes Julio, I feel the same way.

I should say I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with this kind of thing, after all loop CDs and libraries have been around for years and I remember people buying those rom thingies for DX7s years ago.
I'm just thinking of a scenario where someone new to ambient composition decides to start creating their own work and looks around for some 'ambient sounds' and starts off with someone else's ideas of such a thing.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »
I'm just thinking of a scenario where someone new to ambient composition decides to start creating their own work and looks around for some 'ambient sounds' and starts off with someone else's ideas of such a thing.

I remember when Acid loops were the big thing a few years ago, including several for ambient music-making.  Made me cringe a bit to think of newbies loading a Robin Storey acid loop and thinking that this was all there was to making ambient music.

Forrest

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
As Julio said, I find patches to be excellent learning tools.

They're also useful to use as a base rather than starting from scratch. I often load one up and modify it to suit my needs.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca