Author Topic: WALL - E  (Read 2920 times)

Bill Binkelman

« on: June 29, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I wanted to see this on the opening weekend but didn't get to it. Personally, I can't think of a film this year I am more looking forward to (including The Dark Knight). I predict it will be the most well received and biggest grossing Pixar release yet. It's currently sitting at about 96% at awesome score. Hell, even Kathryn, who usually hates SF as well as animation, wants to see this.

So, has anyone seen it yet? Is it as good as it looks?

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
Re: WALL - E
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:41:35 AM »
Haven't seen it yet, but it's Disney and I have kids, so I probably will.

Still, Wall-E seems to look an awful lot like Number 5 from Short Circuit.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
Re: WALL - E
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:54:17 AM »
I saw it on Friday. It's everything you expect from a Pixar film. It has humor, warmth, heart, pathos(without schmaltz) and a genuine love of its main character. Someone told me once about characters in animation, "Get the eyes right, and you're halfway there." Without going overboard in anthropomorphizing a mechanical trash compacter, Pixar has created a character whose eyes are literally windows into something more than electronics. Wall-E lives and breathes personality from the first moment he's on-screen.
 It's not just in his look and mannerisms, but in the way he attempts to fill the days when he's not creating gigantic, neatly organized mountains of compacted debris. Wall-E's a collector, and the stuff he chooses to keep says a lot about his attempts to understand the people who left it all behind. Without literally saying a word, the first half hour of the film is brilliant visual storytelling that gives you everything you need to understand the character before his real adventure begins.

Is it perfect? No. The third act stumbles a bit getting the characters and events rolling to a very emotional finish, but it's one of Pixar's best films and in my opinion, should be a nominee for Best Picture next year. It's got more soul in 90 minutes than all of the dreck produced by Dreamworks.

Visually, it's got more going on than one viewing can take in. Not only are there numerous in-jokes, but there's so much going on at the edges of the frame, you'll probably want to see it again. I know I'm going to.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.