Author Topic: Improvised Ambient Music  (Read 3288 times)

eyeprod

• View Profile
Improvised Ambient Music
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to the ambient music scene, but lately I have been jamming with a couple of other guys and what is coming out is probably considered ambient, so I am researching it a little online and finding lots of good stuff.

I have been using analog synths for about 15 years, and have always played guitar since I was a teen, but usually have played in rock bands, other than a few years spent studying some world musics. I learned how to improv pretty good over the years, but this recent stuff is getting much more interesting and evokes very enjoyable feelings when playing it and listening back to the recordings. I have performed a solo set of this last month and also played a short set as a duo. It's really refreshing compared to playing a rock show where you are trying to capture peoples attention.  With this ambient vibe you can just relax and let things build without rushing to play a riff or keep the energy up. It's great.

We are all rock band veterans and can all play most traditional rock instruments well. So have started to develop a style that incorporates a good amount of multi-instrumental trade off and exchange. It's the first project that I've ever been involved with that didn't begin with a bunch of discussion, planning, songwriting and gratuitous geeking out. We just start playing and this stuff comes out. I could never write this sort of music, nor did I have any intention or desire to make this kind of music, it's just been coming out when the three of us jam together. I think it sounds a lot like Fripp/Eno material, now that I have heard that stuff. Anyway, I highly recommend improvising with one or two other competent players as a way to step into places that are harder to reach by yourself.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/rtrippz/sets/1117-2014-jam-with-sam-and-cody[/soundcloud]

Robert Tripp, Multi-instrumentalist

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: Improvised Ambient Music
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »
I enjoyed it. It is somewhat reminiscent of Fripp and Eno. A little bit of Popol Vuh in there too.

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 03:03:31 AM »
This reads interesting, I think I will have a listen to this when in the studz tonight, thanks for sharing :-)

eyeprod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:50:35 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for reading.

I'll be checking out your stuff, AnalogueKid.

Castleview, I am a big Popol Vuh fan, so I really appreciate your comment!

Thanks again!
Robert Tripp, Multi-instrumentalist