Author Topic: Did you ever like KISS?  (Read 8889 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Did you ever like KISS?
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
As a child-fan in the 70's, and now a balding middle aged adult, there has been a fascination with this group.  Were they "just entertainers" with no musical talent, or something more?  I have been revisiting the classic period (1973 to 1979) and feel these guys really rocked with the best of them and had quite a number of great rock songs.  I guess after slagging them off for years in my adult life, I'm surprised to find they were actually pretty damn good!  Any/all opinions on KISS wanted.

Analoguekid

• View Profile
Re: Did you ever like KISS?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
I thought they were brill, saw them quite a few times live during the early 80t's with and without the make up (them not me LOL) and even went on a weekend trip to the Phillipeshalle in Dusseldorf to see them was and still is the only time I have ever gone from the UK to Europe to see a band live :-)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
To answer your subject question, no I never liked them. In fact hated them. I remember in the mid 70s in junior-high school it seemed everyone my age in school loved them and I couldn't understand why. By the late 70s and high school it seemed now everyone hated them and I rejoiced, all seemed right with the world.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

phobos

• Its still dark, even with the light on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
 I always thought they were shit!
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobosdrones.wixsite.com/phobos
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
I never really had a strong opinion about their music, but, as a kid in the 70s, I really enjoyed their theatrics.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
Didn't do a thing for me.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 03:45:05 PM »
Not my cup of tea.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »
You can only imagine what my poor parents endured from ages 8 to 11.   ;D

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »
Analogue kid--from Dynasty (1979) onward, I totally lost interest.  Got to see them on 79 tour with original lineup.  It was pretty mind blowing.  I think even my Dad enjoyed it (one of the best presents he ever gave me, namely because he knew how much I loved them and was willing to take me ).  I'd have to say Dressed to Kill from '75 is my favorite album, with Destroyer and the debut self titled one close behind. Not to mention Alive, a legendary live album.

You gotta give them credit for spending two hours putting on the makeup for all those years. 

Looks like we're in the minority here.  I can understand most negative opinions.  I'd call them a guilty pleasure these days.  Cheesy,  yet oh so good.....

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
Analogue kid--from Dynasty (1979) onward, I totally lost interest.  Got to see them on 79 tour with original lineup.  It was pretty mind blowing.  I think even my Dad enjoyed it (one of the best presents he ever gave me, namely because he knew how much I loved them and was willing to take me ).  I'd have to say Dressed to Kill from '75 is my favorite album, with Destroyer and the debut self titled one close behind. Not to mention Alive, a legendary live album.

You gotta give them credit for spending two hours putting on the makeup for all those years. 

Looks like we're in the minority here.  I can understand most negative opinions.  I'd call them a guilty pleasure these days.  Cheesy,  yet oh so good.....

I am not surprised we are in the minority on here, its an ambient music forum LOL but I agree with all your comments above :-)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »
I liked them back in their heyday but now they need to put it to rest like the Stones and some of these other old-timers...You made your millions, now go away! And Simmons comment about rock dead/murdered, way off base. I'll leave it at that. ;-)

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:19 AM »
Got to see them on 79 tour with original lineup.  It was pretty mind blowing.  I think even my Dad enjoyed it (one of the best presents he ever gave me, namely because he knew how much I loved them and was willing to take me ).  I'd have to say Dressed to Kill from '75 is my favorite album, with Destroyer and the debut self titled one close behind. Not to mention Alive, a legendary live album.

I could have written everything you wrote verbatim! The 1979 Dynasty tour (with Judas Priest opening) was my first concert ever! As a kid/early teen they were one of my favorite bands...along with the Beatles and Stones.

I actually have all of their albums including the new ones although the early years are still the best and what I listen too most when I put them on. I proudly admit  that they are still a nostalgic guilty pleasure!!!

I have seen them live twice since 79, both times with makeup and the original 4.

In fact my cousin got free tickets to Ace about a month ago, so I went. yes it was cheezy, but so what  ;D
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 02:18:57 PM »
I owned their first four albums (the last one I bought was their double-LP live album). I think their debut is one of the best rock albums of that period and holds up well today. "Cold Gin," "Black Diamond," "Strutter," and "Deuce," are all excellent hard rock songs. Their next two albums, Hotter Than Hell and Dressed to Kill were not anywhere near as good (loved the back and white cover of Dressed to Kill, though), but they were okay. By Dressed to Kill, they had almost started to parody their image as studs who would fuck every plaster caster who would venture backstage. Everything went to shit when they cracked Top 40 after the live album came out when "Rock and Roll All Night" went monster hit on them.

I saw them live in 1974 or 75. Believe it or not, they were top billed with RUSH! Rush were on their Fly By Night tour. Geddy Lee had bad laryngitis and could only sing for about 30 minutes. Kiss came on stage and rocked it. Despite their theatrics, they were (at the time) a great band (kinda like Alice Cooper from their Killer, School's Out, and Billion Dollar Babies era). But yeah, their debut album is the only one worth getting, IMO, and "Strutter" is just a killer song, as is "Cold Gin."

I think, in some ways, Kiss' success went to their heads just as it did with Blue Oyster Cult. I was into BOC right out of the gate and I consider (like many fans) that their first three albums (BOC, Tyranny and Mutation, and Secret Treaties) represent their very best work. By the time they released Agents of Fortune, like Kiss, they hit it big on Top 40 with "(Don't Fear) the Reaper," and, IMO, they started to decline. They had some decent music after that, but nothing topped those first three releases...what a crop of songs: "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll," "Before the Kiss, A Redcap," "Flaming Telepaths," "Astronomy," etc etc etc.
May the odds be ever in your favor.