Author Topic: Amazon sucks!!(?) + tons of Midwest Photos  (Read 7966 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Amazon sucks!!(?) + tons of Midwest Photos
« on: December 28, 2014, 01:53:57 AM »
Is it just me or is Amazon a crap source to buy music?  Got a gift card for Xmas and I decided what to order.  3 of them (CDs) weren't even listed and they were all available in my local record stores.  A box set import that could be had for $30 new on eBay was $45!  Add to that the disorganized, confusing descriptions and often totally wrong information. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:43:29 AM by jkn »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: Amazon sucks!!(?)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 07:17:20 AM »
Amazon can be a bit funky at times. Having said that, I like it for at least two reasons. One, if you're a member of Amazon prime, you can get the CD within 2 days--which helps with the 'instant gratification' component that is often missing in online ordering. Two, although I rarely start at Amazon for buying music, sometimes I end up there simply because it is the cheapest and fastest way to get imports that have not been restocked at some of my other favorite stateside online shops.

You're fortunate to be in the Bay Area where there are some wonderful record shops! I'm stuck in a cornfield in the Midwest where we only have two record stores left, neither of which cater to ambient and experimental music. Amazon can be a blessing for people in my situation.  ;)

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:05:51 PM »
I agree with Chris. Amazon and eBay are a life saver for someone like me, since I'm also in a rural area and there are no good music stores nearby.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »
Chris, I'm from Indiana (don't live there now)... I knew there was something about you that just made lots of sense.   ;D

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:16:01 AM »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:34:22 AM »
It's definitely got more hills than Norfolk.... ;D

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:22:34 PM »

this is starting to get emotional... (sniffle)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 07:03:52 AM »
Amazon - depends on what you're looking at.  I used to buy a lot from them - I don't very often now (my music is all bandcamp these days - and I stream instead of buying dvd/blu ray).  Over a decade ago I used to buy from AB-CD.com a lot - they got the EFA distributed stuff faster.  now EFA is gone and I'm sure AB-CD is changed - haven't looked in years due to my switch to digital.

Yes - I grew up near Peoria, IL on Tenth Street - in a 10 street town.  Our front window looked out at corn fields.  Even in the heyday of record stores there weren't many record stores.   I now live in Northern Indiana kind of near South Bend / Michigan City...  much the same (and so very different at the same time). 

photo of the field across from where I worked in Morton, IL on a hot and humid day in August years ago:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:09:03 AM by jkn »
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 07:28:29 PM »
these pics are truly Corngasmic. 

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »
No corn around here, but there's a sugarcane field across the road from my house. I would go out and take a picture but harvesting season is almost done so all the cane has been cut.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
....looks like a pencil farm?...