Author Topic: Edgar Froese in tribute  (Read 3289 times)

Anodize DB

• View Profile
Edgar Froese in tribute
« on: January 23, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
It certainly feels terrible to actually have to type & announce, but if many of you have yet to hear, Edgar Froese died on January 20th.

As I've written elsewhere, I'm sitting here trying to come to terms with that, on so many different levels. Icon, pioneer, visionary…you can levy these sobriquets at him, and while applicable, it seems all too easy resorting to obvious signifiers, as if such by-rote labeling is enough to measure the man's historical weight. Tangerine Dream was my entreé into the world of electronic music, environments augured by Mssrs. Froese, Franke, Baumann, Schmoelling, et al, that to my young ears was a vivid, life-altering, ear-bending reveal of science fiction worlds initialized in sound. "Force Majeure" was the first TD album I bought, and it did my head in—the vast rainbow of elusive, multi-hued sounds & patterns on the album has rarely been eclipsed in successive years, and while I of course embrace all their classic work, that's the record that remains their masterpiece to me.

I interviewed Edgar for the second issue of my print magazine "i/e" back in '92, and it was an encounter I remember well; he was gregarious, attentive, and intense. I had just witnessed their superb performance at the Scottsdale Amphitheatre in Arizona, after which Edgar & I spent a memorable hour privately talking in the building's exit stairwell. I can still recall how fixed his gaze was on me, answering my questions with great detail and obvious enthusiasm. I'll never forget the experience—and despite the band's arguably diminishing aural returns the past few decades, the legacy of what Froese & TD wrought through their expert knob twiddling remains uncontestable. Edgar and his group's influence on my life, as a writer, listener, performer, and collector of electronic music is incalcuable, immeasurable, and surely informs the foundation of my interests in these musics for over four decades.

Thru metamorphic rocks indeed...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:30:10 PM by Anodize DB »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

Poaalpina

• View Profile
Re: Edgar Froese in tribute
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:22:28 PM »
R.I.P.
Ambient DNA

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 09:15:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Darren.

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:48:58 AM »
It certainly feels terrible to actually have to type & announce, but if many of you have yet to hear, Edgar Froese died on January 20th.

As I've written elsewhere, I'm sitting here trying to come to terms with that, on so many different levels. Icon, pioneer, visionary…you can levy these sobriquets at him, and while applicable, it seems all too easy resorting to obvious signifiers, as if such by-rote labeling is enough to measure the man's historical weight. Tangerine Dream was my entreé into the world of electronic music, environments augured by Mssrs. Froese, Franke, Baumann, Schmoelling, et al, that to my young ears was a vivid, life-altering, ear-bending reveal of science fiction worlds initialized in sound. "Force Majeure" was the first TD album I bought, and it did my head in—the vast rainbow of elusive, multi-hued sounds & patterns on the album has rarely been eclipsed in successive years, and while I of course embrace all their classic work, that's the record that remains their masterpiece to me.

I interviewed Edgar for the second issue of my print magazine "i/e" back in '92, and it was an encounter I remember well; he was gregarious, attentive, and intense. I had just witnessed their superb performance at the Scottsdale Amphitheatre in Arizona, after which Edgar & I spent a memorable hour privately talking in the building's exit stairwell. I can still recall how fixed his gaze was on me, answering my questions with great detail and obvious enthusiasm. I'll never forget the experience—and despite the band's arguably diminishing aural returns the past few decades, the legacy of what Froese & TD wrought through their expert knob twiddling remains uncontestable. Edgar and his group's influence on my life, as a writer, listener, performer, and collector of electronic music is incalcuable, immeasurable, and surely informs the foundation of my interests in these musics for over four decades.

Thru metamorphic rocks indeed...

Thanks for sharing. Tangerine Dream was also my introduction into the world of electronic music back in 1978 with the album Sorcerer. I just graduated from high school, working and going to college. A co-worker happened to bring in the album Sorcerer for me to take home and listen. I was into Pink Floyd, ELP, Led Zeppelin, Yes, etc. After one listen to the album I was hooked. I went out and bought any album I could find of TD. Mainly the 70's album Rubycon, Phaedra, Ricochet (which still remains as my favorite), Force Majaure, etc. The rest as they say is history. If it wasn't for TD I probably would not be here. The music got me through good time and bad times. I kinda fell out of the Dream music from mid 90's till mid 2000. Thats when I found Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Vidna Obmana and other ambient artist. I went back to the Dream after finding a group of loyal fans on TD's website. And flew over to meet them and see TD perform the London Eye concert. Although it wasn't my first TD gig, it was memorable. My first TD gig was at the Coach House in 92. Not really the way I wanted to see them live, but…..it was TD.
It's funny how there are a lot of DreamHeads out there in the world but none of them seem to care these days until Edgar's death.  Then they all come out and say how wonderful he was. Well I been a loyal fan since 1978 and I will remain loyal to the music till the day I go. Just remember that Edgar was one of the founders of electronic/techno/ambient music. Or whatever you want to call it these days. He was and is part of history and a Legend. R.I.P.