Author Topic: Moving to Philly area  (Read 3665 times)

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
Moving to Philly area
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:51:42 PM »
Greetings friends,

My participation at the forum here has been sporadic over the last couple years due to a very hectic professional career (as a post doctoral fellow in the Zoology Dept. at Miami University).  But I simply wanted to mention that my wife and I will be moving to the Philly area next month (we recently bought a house in a suburb ca. 10 miles north of the city).  I accepted a faculty position at a university in the area (last March) and can't adequately describe the excitement that stems from the fact that this area is a major hub for ambient/electronic musicians.  I hope to boost my activity in the near future (a new CD has been "almost finished" for over a year--expect an interesting announcement soon) and look forward to meeting many of you in person at concerts, etc.

Best,

Chad

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: Moving to Philly area
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »
cool and a half chad! i often travel across the state for musical events and i hope to catch you there!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »
I sincerely look forward to that, Jim! 

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:52:33 PM »
I think Philadelphia is a great place, and when I visited there I thought it would be a cool place to live.  Good luck with the move, Chad, and keep us posted.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

MarkM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »
Congrats on your Philly move and new job.  Philly sure does have a great electronic scene happening.  I think Chuck van Zyl is one of the driving forces with Stars End.  Performers like Orbital Decay as well as Chuck and Art Cohen's project, The Ministry of Inside Things, really add to a great scene.  Make sure you go to The Gathering concerts!

Sighthound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 04:13:24 AM »
Chad,

Welcome to Philly!  The land of cheesesteaks, Tastycakes and soft pretzles.  Many wonderful things here to see and do, great resturaunts and, of course, the Mummers Parade.  Hope that you enjoy your stay.

Frank

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:44:03 AM »
Thanks all!

I have made a few trips to the area over the last several months and am very impressed (especially with Center City).  The peripheral suburban areas are very nice too (can't get over how densely wooded many of them are), and I just bought my first lawn mower (a cordless electric)! 

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 06:51:14 AM »
Never been there but I'm jealous.  Lancaster county is nice.

King Crimson is playing there in August.

Seems like the gasoline prices are hitting the music biz.  No one is playing in the southeast this summer.  Peter Hammill, King Crimson, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Heaven and Hell... all playing in the northeast or west coast.  All we got this year was Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top (ZZ Top was great, though)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »
hey neighbor!  just sent you a message to yr hotmail account. 

Gemini Ambience

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 07:21:01 AM »
I live at 21st and Walnut in Center City. Give a holler once you're in town.  :)