Author Topic: klaus schulze  (Read 6308 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
klaus schulze
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »
the klauster does not get much mention here - primarily because he does not do a lot of ambient music. however, when he does perform ambient he is awesome!
i picked up kontinuum recently and it has an excellent ambient track - thor clocking in at 31'42." it has some sequencing in it and some percussion but the drones and atmospheres are sweet and they dominate the soundscape. it is worth $8 or $9 at a used cd site. (i got it at www.half.com for about $10 after shipping.)
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: klaus schulze
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »
I'm just now listening to Schultz's Contemporary Works cd4 ... some very fine pieces on that one, primarily sequenced though.
Don't think I have Kontinuum.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Phaenon

• View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:19:44 PM »
Well, Klaus Schulze has released so many superb albums!
Some of them have lots of ambient/space content like Irlicht, Cyborg, Dune, DSOTM series.
And Mirage, especially first track has also that ambient feeling...
P.S. Funny, I have been listening to Klaus all evening, starting from Timewind, Picture Music, and now Cyborg. :)
Szymon

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:41:33 PM »
Mirage, Body Love Vols. 1 and 2 and Timewind are by far my favorite KS albums from the 70s period.  The Body Love albums have some nice extended spacey ambient passages in them.  It's been a while since I've pulled out KS' Historic Edition box, but I think there are some extended ambient pieces in there as well.

Forrest

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »
I could never get over his cheesy sounding sequenced music....Berlin school of techno has  always  been my preference in that department
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:38:34 AM by uhurit »

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:55:38 AM »
Unbelievable timing on this thread...

Klaus Schulze and Lisa Gerrard are about to release a double CD!  From the likes of Amazon.com it looks like it'll only be an import for now.  (North America release date- Aug. 12) It's called Farscape, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Sci-fi show of a few years back. 

Some excerpts on myspace:  http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=354288328
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:58:22 AM by judd stephens »

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »
years ago i communicated with klaus d mueller about ks. (he was long klaus' intermediary in dealing with the real world.) well, i sent kdm my reviews of ks' music and he was not pleased at all! he said that i should not have used the word "ambient" so much. he also completely denied ks' involvement with the innovative communications label. i have no idea if he is still running interference for ks but he is a sick individual.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 08:11:05 AM »
Klaus Schulze has made some of the best and some of the worst electronic music out there. His classics like Mirage, Timewind and X can't be beaten.

I wasn't impressed with his latest solo albums. He still makes those long tracks, but they're only nice for a couple of minutes and then it becomes endless noodling...like the first track on Moonlake... and tracks 2-4 of that album are terribly amateurish sounding.

The last great thing he did was IMO Dark Side of the Moog IX (don't know about X and XI).

But the new one with Lisa Gerrard sounds pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:16:42 AM by DeepR »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »
Of the new stuff I agree Kontinuum is a great disc.  Ballett 3 is excellent, too, the best of this series.  Virtual Outback is also one of his better recent (reissued) releases. 

jamiem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:03:04 PM »
Kontinuum is also one of my favourite Klaus releases, I get totally lost in that CD.

Also a big fan of some of the earlier work, & not so much of the 'techno-type' of stuff.

I'm looking forward to getting a copy of the Farscape CD as well, & what I've heard sounds great.

I've also noticed there is a new book on Klaus by Mr Mueller, haven't read any reviews though...........

Cheers

Jamie

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 09:06:21 AM »
I've been collecting most of the new SPV re-issues with much enjoyment.  I don't like all KS stuff, but it's definitely fun to listen to and the packaging is phenomenal. ~ J.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »
Klaus Schulze was such a huge influence to me, back in the 90s, and yet I have no interest at all in his later work.  He's one of those few artists who has dropped off so drastically in my estimation that it sometimes surprises me to remember how important I used to consider him.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
Now that I have it, I also think Kontinuum is a fine release. Really like it.

I thought the 2005 Moonlake was well done ... though not always to my taste.

And many of the Dark Side releases with Namlook have great tracks on them.

I think he's still doing ok    8)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:48 AM »
If anyone can come up with a photo of Klaus where he is not holding a cigarette, please inform me.  I have given up all hope.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 09:08:39 AM »
If anyone can come up with a photo of Klaus where he is not holding a cigarette, please inform me.  I have given up all hope.
he had a cigarette surgically attached to his hand so that he will never be caught without one.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 10:25:52 PM »
I bought the KS/Lisa Gerrard "Farscape" set.  Don't think it was worth the $30 import price (US release is another month away). Kind of what I had expected/feared: two great artists doing something together with ho-hum results.  Over two discs, there was one track I really liked but most of it just sounds like the "Ballett" series with LG singing instead of the other female vocalists he has used recently.  Musically KS purists won't be bowled over, it's pretty much the same classical sounding chord progressions he has done ad infinitum, w/LG improvising over the top.  I'd rather listen to a DCD album and "Timewind" or "Body Love 2" separately instead of this album. 

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 07:02:30 PM »
Klaus Schulze was such a huge influence to me, back in the 90s, and yet I have no interest at all in his later work.  He's one of those few artists who has dropped off so drastically in my estimation that it sometimes surprises me to remember how important I used to consider him.

I agree... I'm coming from a younger perspective, but I've got a good lot of his CDs, and the contrast between old and new is shocking.
But it's the same with Tangerine Dream, I guess.

greglw3

• View Profile
Klaus Schulze Book
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »
My name is Greg Allen and I've written a comprehensive, 300 plus page book on Klaus Schulze's career.  The official book web site is at www.KlausSchulzeBook.com and is the first English book ever written on KS.  So far, it's getting a nice reception (see web site for reactions).

The book's title is Klaus Schulze: Electronic Music Legend and the web site lists the places you can buy it.

I would recommend the book for those who may have lost track of Klaus' music or who want a comprehensive look at his career including around 80 reviews by me.  I've been told more than once already that from reading the book, people are seeking KS titles that they don't have.

I hope you'll give it a look.

Greg