Author Topic: Steve Roach - Skeleton Keys (coming in May)  (Read 12947 times)

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
Steve Roach - Skeleton Keys (coming in May)
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Thought I'd start this one up now a month before it's release.
Steve's next release should be an interesting one. When I first heard and saw the title I was a little surprised. But after reading about it I thought it was very cool. Although the information and track titles are up on his website there are no sound offerings yet. I'm sure it will be up around the time of the pre-order. I will be ordering both vinyl and cd. I am about to pull the plug and buy Robert Rich's vinyl Premonitions. The 3 songs that I heard sound really nice. I was at Rich's gig in Pomona and I wish I had bought it then. But the $ was not available at the time.

http://steveroach.com/Music/discography.php?songID=2928

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach - Skeleton Keys (coming in May)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:21:42 AM »
 8) pre-ordered this evening. and now listening to the samples on bandcamp. I will say this. . .if you enjoy Steve's music, then you are in for a rude awaking! This is Steve at another level taking a step backwards by going forward in a huge leap. analog. I've been waiting for this release with big anticipation. I can wait a few weeks for the hardcopies to arrive. Especially the vinyl. This digital stream will do for now. a HUGE 4 thumbs up for now. awaiting the vinyl…..
…to be continued.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
Wow,

I have been listening to this VIA Bandcamp all afternoon.

I am not typically a fan of old school sequencer music most of the time with the exceptions of a few classic, usual suspect albums from Tan Dream and Kluase and despite that, I think this is just fantastic and mesmerizing music. This may be my favorite Roach release since Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces. Great depth, sound choices, treatments, recording quality, a great album!

I plan on grabbing the 24/96 version from Spotted Peccary.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
I've listened to the samples and I'm not quite taken with it. There's something basic and samey about its sound. Almost minimalistic. Most pieces are rather laidback. I prefer his more energetic, futuristic sound. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore some of his sequencer pieces, but these aren't really my style.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:53:36 PM »
+1

This album is repetitive and boring almost amateur, I just enjoyed some pads he threw under those samey-samey sequences...I didn't recognized Steve Roach until some of the aforementioned pads came up. This album could be made by some random guy with a long beard and tattoos, twiddling knobs on youtube.

Below average I must say, I see unknown people doing more interesting stuff with modulars, more, than this album has to offer, so sad he's losing steam :(

Maybe it has to do with Synthesizers.com modulars, who uses that piece of crap anyway?

He should definitely invest in some proper MOS-LAB modulars..

Look at the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JbLiu6yDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Umkl0YmwfAI#t=245

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hon4JvC4g1E

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:05:20 PM by Horizon 1982 »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:38:02 AM »
I'm not excluding the possibility that there's something under the surface of these pieces, something I'm not hearing yet. Some of his music takes time to get attuned to. But for now, I prefer any other sequencer piece I've heard from him. Favorites include: Harmonia Mundi (Empetus), Living the Dream (Life Sequence), Lifeforming (Kairos), Hyperportal (Core), Arc of Passion (Arc of Passion) and more.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
Not sure what I am hearing that you guys aren't but there is a great minimal beauty, depth and sound quality in this album even a power to it that I love. I especially like the solid deep lows.

I was not as nuts about the companion disc, but taken as a collection of sketches it is fine.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
Regarding Steve Roach, I'm still stuck on 1993/94.  Has there ever been a better tribal ambient album than Origins, or followup Artifacts???  The sounds on these masterpieces are just SICK!!!!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
Origins and Artifacts are great, but for me there is no greater tribal ambient than the first disc of Well Of Souls. Fantastic... that disc is tribal, ambient, and Twilight Zone-ish all at the same time.

I miss the earlier Steve Roach music...

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 10:19:25 AM »
Well, there's something for everyone. I prefer his later tribal albums. Great sound, deep trances and grooves. Fever Dreams 2, The Serpent's Lair and Dream Tracker are right up there among my favorites. Even more recent, Monuments of Ecstasy is very nice. I think he is still going strong in most if his styles.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »
What I've heard of this one sounds very nice.  For me, it's an update of his Empetus/Stormwarning style.  The extras are interesting and notable to me for their lack of reverb (!).

Forrest
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:41:15 AM by ffcal »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 02:46:52 PM »
I just listened to this on bandcamp and I don't understand what all the negative comments are about.  Sounds pretty f****** awesome to me.  My order is being placed SOON!!