Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 5479 times)

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
Windows 10
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »
Although my main PC is still Win 7, I have upgraded several PCs to Windows 10, all free of charge.

Observations:

1.  Installation went well on all except one PC had a hard drive or hard drive partition that was not compatible.  That one stayed at Win 7.
2.  Upgrading with applications in place was wonky in at least one case.  I just reset the Win 10 installation and reinstalled my apps.
3.  The OS itself seems to be a hybrid of Win 7 and Win 8.  Much less of the unintuitive stuff that makes Win 8 hard at first.
4.  Windows 10 recently did a complete reinstall with a new version with a few new features.
5.  I have only found a couple of apps to be incompatible: WinAmp is one.
6.  Updates are loaded via a torrent-like process
7.  There is a voice-assistant which I don't use
8.  There are now virtual desktops built in
9.  The new Edge browser is super fast but doesn't support addons or extensions which makes it much less useful to me than Chrome or Firefox
10. Win 10 will run on almost any hardware going back 5-7 years or more.

I built a Nuc computer with an i7 processor, 16 gb of RAM and a M.2 boot drive.  That thing boots in 10 seconds to Windows 10.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:39:44 PM by zzzone.net »

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
That's odd WinAmp won't work for you in Win10. The version I have installed is v5.666 Build 3516, and it runs fine.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »
That's odd WinAmp won't work for you in Win10. The version I have installed is v5.666 Build 3516, and it runs fine.

Hmmmm...thanks for that info.  Motivates me to try again.

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »

Hmmmm...thanks for that info.  Motivates me to try again.

I built a nuc computer (i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD) as my new music server and my internet radio station.  The laptop I was using worked well but at about two weeks of being left on the video drivers would stop working.

WinAmp and ShoutCast are the station components.  I kept getting a directsound error or when I eliminated the directsound plugin, WinAmp would just stall.  I searched the internet for solutions to that error and to problems with WinAmp and Win 10. 

Finally I just plugged in a pair of headphones.  Apparently Windows 10 knows whether or not there is headphone or speaker setup plugged in and WinAmp will give an error if nothing is found.

However, I can't find that documented anywhere (now it is.)

Thanks for making me keep trying.  :)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 11:27:09 AM »
Just did the free upgrade on our general computer - had to work through turning off all the 'connected' the apps running in the background. Made everything much quicker and less cpu intensive

Discovered 10 can play FLAC files as standard.....

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:57:04 PM »
My comp decided to upgrade me to 10 without my consent. Lovely. My microphone won't work now (apparently, this is a known compatibility issue between HP and MS for which there's currently no fix), and Chrome seems to crash all the time. I have no idea why this kind of bullshit is legal. I was holding off on updating precisely because I wanted them to have time to work out these sorts of kinks.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 12:44:38 AM »
had to buy a new music computer...the old one was still running XP and starting to give up the ghost.

I was using an equally old music software - Cakewalk Sonar 5. I can install it, it seems to work fine apart from the play button does not work and it does not seem to recognise plug ins....
any advice that might assist?

PS the sonar does everything I need so would like to keep I if at all possible.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »
This is a long shot, but you could try running it in compatibility mode. Right-click the shortcut (or executable), select Properties, select Compatibility tab, and click on "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 12:43:03 AM »
OK,
I have uninstalled it for now - will maybe try again once we have moved house....

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 11:36:29 AM »
So far, I've upgraded about 20 of the PCs here at work (less than half of the total) to Win 10 and I will try to upgrade the rest before the free upgrade offer expires in July.

It's pretty important to make sure you have the most current drivers for your hardware, and if you do, everything seems to run pretty well. I've even been surprised to find that some older PCs that barely ran Windows 8 seem to do a little better with Windows 10.

I haven't run into any programs that won't run in Win 10, but this is a business environment, so there's no media/audio software or gaming to consider.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:06:05 AM by mgriffin »
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:38 AM »
I've ended up buying sonar artist, just waiting for internet to be sorted at our new house so I can install it - been waiting since beginning of May....

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 06:40:48 AM »
You will love Sonar...
I am currently a Sonar Platinum user myself right now.....if you just bought it recently, don't forget to take advantage of the lifetime upgrade they are about to announce on June 1.:)

Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 01:02:13 AM »
You will love Sonar...
I am currently a Sonar Platinum user myself right now.....if you just bought it recently, don't forget to take advantage of the lifetime upgrade they are about to announce on June 1.:)

I loved the sonar I had - but it was too old to run on a new computer.

Excellent news re the lifetime upgrade - our internet was only just sorted out yesterday (31st May) so have yet to download and install.