Author Topic: Steve Roach, "Landmass"  (Read 7465 times)

Anglican

• last.fm/user/Anglican/
    • View Profile
    • Anglican Journey
Steve Roach, "Landmass"
« on: July 09, 2008, 07:15:56 AM »
I hope it's okay to start a new topic on this here. The Steve Roach thread was becoming a magnificent void of immersion and increasingly difficult to keep holding the space.

Listened to "Landmass" more deeply last night. I'm especially taken by the groovy beats of the second track, a deep pulsing bass that in some places reminded me of early '90s Jarre, but of course much, much richer and more sophisticated.

Robert Logan

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach, "Landmass"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:26:46 AM »
Someone ordered this for me, but I haven't got it yet (and I'm off to America tomorrow....)

Thanks for starting this thread; I'm eager to hear impressions of this disc. How do you find it compares to Arc of Passion? I'm glad to be getting a Roach album that isn't meant to be played quietly - the last few Roach discs I got were the Immersions and A Deeper Silence. Can I look forward to something a bit more..."full"? Active? (Not that I dislike the Immersion-style projects, it's just that I've overindulged on the lovely low-volume-playing-all-day-and-night-on-a-loop thing recently.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:30:00 AM by Robert Logan »

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »
I'm looking forward to picking up a copy of this because it's part of the live gig Steve did at the WXPN studios after his show at The Gatherings last May. I was very kindly invited to tag along--doing my requisite gear-hauling stint like all the good volunteers there--and watched the set unfold.

Well...sort of...

This session didn't start til about 2 am. I'd been on the road since 8 am, coming to Philly from MA. A beer at the studio didn't help my wakefulness that much, nor did the studio's very comfy couch. So I drifted in and out of consciousness about half an hour into it, and I can't begin to tell you how cool it is to wake up into the midst of a sonic maelstrom evolving live around you. I'd wake, look around, appreciate the flow, see SR hunched over the controls, occasionally refueling with a bit of Guiness, and then I'd zonk again.

So I look forward to hearing what only my subconscious heard. :-)
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

Anglican

• last.fm/user/Anglican/
    • View Profile
    • Anglican Journey
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:58:01 PM »
Can I look forward to something a bit more..."full"? Active?

I think you'll be pleased.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »
have not yet absorbed the cd but i really like it so far. i will absorb it more over the next week or so.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 07:02:43 AM »
I also ordered this one. Samples sounds quite a bit more varied and active. Not that i am not enjoying "Arc Of Passion" but i found the main track waaaayyy too long....Good in a live situation but harder to sustain after repeated listenings. Hopefully, looks like "Landmass" is a bit more concised....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:04:33 AM by sio »

Anglican

• last.fm/user/Anglican/
    • View Profile
    • Anglican Journey
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:56:49 AM »
have not yet absorbed the cd but i really like it so far. i will absorb it more over the next week or so.

Looking forward to reading your review, Jim.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »
Dude, I got dis cranked up to 11 on da stare-eo and it is sounding sweet!!! (sorry neighbors)Think "Arc of Passion" but even better.  A mind-melting symphony of magnificent voiderama infused by pulsating blood-machines, proof positive that the Roach is still the master of ambient. 3 big thumbs up!!!!

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »
haha someone's enthused, that's what I like to hear

I just ordered this along with a copy of Quiet Music and Streams and Currents.

I'm excited for sure

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:44:31 AM »
Just listened to this.

At the moment, it could be one of my favorite Steve Roach discs ever. Absolutely magnificent and "wide-screen" sounding (in a good way) and full of life and movement. Beautiful.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »
Wow, the sound samples at Roach's website are sounding exquisite. Sounds like a fusion of many albums, but seamlessly done. I just heard a nice chunk of Possible Planet floating in that track. I was going to try to hold out on buying this one, but you know how that goes. Any further thoughts on this album?

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »
Any further thoughts on this album?

All I can say at this point is that I really love the way the album progresses.  There are many movements in the piece and they work together nicely. 

I had a deep listen last night and I was flying above a native earth in sunny skies.  All in my mind's eye of course, not literally.  :D  He has combined elements of Mystic Chords and On This Planet (maybe) with the Empetus/Arc of Passion template.  The rhythmic arpeggios are understated for once and don't overwhelm the substance of the work with repetition.  A refreshing listen, and I'm looking forward to hearing it many more times!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 04:40:12 PM »
After reading that review that Toksafi on steveroach.com I did expect something totally different.
However I can still agree that this can be seen as an refinement of arc of passion in many ways.
The sound design is very impressive and refined (again) on this album, the content it self is still high quality ambient I still miss some kind of new element in the music, this album atleast in my current phase fails to transform myself into inner worlds...The main problem as I see it with this album is the short play time, it is not "focused" enough it has many drastic changes in shape & form. The first part of the album is more sequencer and electronic based ambient, the middle section is my favorite and is more "space atmospherics". If this album was a 2cd album as Arc of Passion I am sure it would have a more deep impact on me.

While I still can see the need for some more less deep music by steve roach I still always prefer his minimal side and infinite soundworlds, cause it has an more deep impact on my mind..and have the abillity to enter inner doorways beyond reality and time & space.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:58:50 PM by Immersion »

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 02:23:45 AM »
This album rocks. Just had an excellent headphone experience, and was mightily impressed. The emotion behind it is intense, sweeping. Steve Roach is in full power mode here; sparks fly off this display of mastery. Catch those furious crows cawing eight minutes into track two!! Epic...no other artist does it like this. Though it perhaps can be said that Roach sticks to a certain tried and true pathway, or current, he has truly made that world his own, fleshing it out fully and allowing himself to explore ever further. In this wonderful domain, he is a master. By focusing his skills in this way, he is able to take us very far out. This album resonates and flows in such an assured, mesmerizing way, you will barely realize the time has gone by. So Roach doesn't radically change what he does from album to album like some artists, but ultimately, he has stayed true to one vision, and won through to make that vision a solid fortress of sound.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 04:26:44 PM »
Catch those furious crows cawing eight minutes into track two!! Epic...

For some reason that little touch sent me over the edge.