Author Topic: My review of "Original Light" CD by Julio Di Benedetto  (Read 5877 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Original Light" CD by Julio Di Benedetto
« on: October 18, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »

Julio Di Benedetto "Original Light" CD

Julio Di Benedetto is a Floridian soundcarver, based on the Treasure Coast, who returns to a glass mastered format after 7 years, when his 2CD debut "Living At A Higher Frequency" was released through his Digital Voices label. In the meantime, during 2012, he has released three digital only albums ("The Sense Of Being There", "Pathway To Pelada" and "A Tide Pool Of Memories"), but the newest album "Original Light", composed between 2012 and 2015, gets deserved physical version. Out since May 2015 in simple, but nice, 4-panel matte eco wallet with captivating panoramic images in a limited edition of 150 copies. The artist himself is credited also for photographs and sleeve design. Nice work!!! No wonder, Julio is also known as a crafted photographer, you might want to check out some of his photographs for his Driftwood Photographs project published on his Ello account. Back to album's credits, "Original Light" was mastered by Don Tyler at IO Mastering.

A 7-plus minutes long "Before Gravity" ignites the journey with humming dronescape, reinforced by an array of rawer, intricately high-pitched meanders, crescendos and diminuendos, which are masterfully counterpointed by spaciously embracing introspectiveness. A very strong opening!!! "Inner Radiance" clocks to nearly 8 minutes and delves deeper into stunningly enigmatic terrains, constantly highlighted by monolithic, yet weirdly nuanced drone layers, intensely flavored with otherworldly eclectic squeaks, shrills, glitches and rumbles. With your headphones on, get ready for a real mind-blower!!! Then "Inner Radiance" tranquilly evanesces into "Chromosphere", where unfathomable depths reveal, although fizzling tides persistently interact with yearning reverberations. Almost 9-minute "Helios Rising" unfolds with more contemplative buzz of tinkles, but shortly it's invaded by heavier sheets of eccentrically helixing drones, elusively undulating dissonances and sweepingly nostalgic glimpses. Incredibly distinguishing sonic ride!!! "Spectral Horizon", with 5:55 the shortest piece, is imbued by waves of scenic patterns, smoothly emerging and expanding with ephemeral hissy subtleties thrown in. But the stage is quickly stolen by amplified drone magnitudes, gorgeously embracing with ethereal choir-like evocations and meticulously intensified by ear-tickling razor sharp twinkles. Wow, a truly jaw-dropping listening delight, bravo, Julio!!! "Still Quiet After" bridges velvetly oscillating sibilant fragments with poignant silken piano motifs, while warmer solitary subtleties with poetic drifts surreptitiously guard above with all its intangible grace. The title, 10 and half minutes long composition "Original Light" closes this gratifying trip with graciously enrapturing washes masterly coalesced with calmly ebbing and flowing, yet richly structured wistfulness. Reaching trebling magnitudes when serenely pinnacling and climaxing, but always surrounded by magnificently panoptic aerial vistas occasionally permeated by opaque coastal reminiscences. An utterly expressive conclusion!!!

"Original Light" is an uniquely sculpted recording showcasing sophisticated artistry in amalgamating fabulously engrossing yearning stratums with finest essences of extraordinarily ear-bending ambiguousness. Numerous deep listening sessions with headphones are required, but then the listener unlocks the gates of sonic Eden, where splendidly textured drone consonance meets rewardingly dissonant exquisiteness. Almost 56-minute "Original Light" is a must-have CD for each connoisseur of abundantly flavored enigmatic drone ambient escapades!!! And on the top of all this, Julio Di Benedetto is planning to release on physical formats also his three previous, above mentioned digital albums. At some moment he was even considering a 3CD edition, but the most recent scenario speaks about three separate releases. But in any case, we can really look forward to these CDs!!! I already saw on Julio's Ello page a CD artwork for his "A Tide Pool of Memories" album (mastered by 12k's Taylor Deupree) and it looks strikingly beautiful. According to the latest info from Julio, this one is scheduled for November 2015, so I can't wait!!!

Richard Gürtler (Oct 17, 2015, Bratislava, Slovakia)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:35:39 AM by richardgurtler »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: My review of "Original Light" CD by Julio Di Benedetto
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:08:37 AM »
Thanks so much for the review Richard,

I enjoy reading how you transpose your sonic experience into very creative words and structures.  Your writing really does tell a story that is equal with the music you review and in my case you have shown me a way to look into the music I would not have been able to do otherwise.  :)
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
Thank you so much, Julio, for your very kind words, I am deeply honored!!! And I really hope you will continue releasing your music on physical formats, as mentioned already, your upcoming "A Tide Pool of Memories" CD eco wallet design looks really gorgeous, keep on going!!!

With friendly greetings, Richard  :)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »
Julio's Original Light CD is wonderful. Your excellent words Richard just make me want to listen to it urgently.

Great reviews you write. Keep up the good work man  :)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
I ordered this immediately after reading and sampling it on Bandcamp.  Always thought the Tide Pool should get a full CD release, so nice to know it's happening!

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
Thanks for all your support gentleman.....the interest in earlier releases like The Tide Pool of Memories being requested in physical format has inspired me and drone on's original words (more or less) from the Tide Pool release thread in 2012...."get this man a physical release".  I get there eventually.

drone on your Original Light cd will ship out tomorrow.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
Thank you so much, guys, I am always very happy when my words help a bit someone in exploring new music, so I really appreciate your comments!!! Keep on journeying!!!

Richard  :)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 12:50:58 AM »
Is the Tide Pool CD still happening? 

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 07:06:14 AM »
Hi drone on,

Yes it is but there has been a technical set back.  The original master was damaged so I contacted Taylor Deupree who engineered it and he was leaving for a tour of Japan so no time to rebuild the DDP files.  Lucky he still had the project achieved after almost 4 years.  So the forecasted november window is closed.

I will post once its in production but I dont imagine I will have it in my hands before January.

Thanks for your interest!

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »
Good news, I definitely stay tuned for "A Tide Pool Of Memories" CD, Julio!!! All the best!!!

Richard  :)

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
Thanks for writing this review. Ended up picking up the album digitally through Bandcamp. Lovely stuff.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:21:30 AM »
Thanks for writing this review. Ended up picking up the album digitally through Bandcamp. Lovely stuff.

Thanks a lot, "cvac", it makes me always happy when my words help a bit to explore some gem. And "A Tide Pool Of Memories" album is highly recommended as well.

All the best!!! :)

Richard

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 11:32:54 AM »
I ended up getting "Tide Pool" as well. On deck to listen to soon.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »

Thanks cvac.....hope " A Tide Pool resonates with you  :)

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 10:48:13 PM »
Both albums are very nice. I may have to get the CD versions as well down the line.