Author Topic: Lustmord - Other  (Read 8688 times)

avec

• View Profile
Lustmord - Other
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
July 22nd release

"O T H E R features appearances by Adam Jones (Tool), King Buzzo (Melvins) and Aaron Turner (Isis).
Eight tracks in all, including a version of "Prime" from the Juggernaut teaser, with a total length of just over 78 minutes."

Anyone else looking forward to this one?

Robert Logan

• View Profile
Re: Lustmord - Other
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »
Wow, it's been a while! I certainly am.

MPECK

• View Profile
    • MPECK MUSIC
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »
First Lull and now this? Can't wait to hear what those four can conjure up.

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
It's up on iTunes now...I'm scared just listening to the samples  :)

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »
Lustmord has always been just a little too evil for me.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »
This should be interesting considering the collaborators (from Melvins, Isis, and Tool) on the new project.  Wonder if they will add or take away from his atmosphere. 

Lustmord did do a project with the Melvins (pigs of the roman empire) and it was pretty great.  However it did feel like a Melvins album with Lustmord interludes.  As a Melvins fan I have no problem with that.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »
He's been "running with that crowd" more and more lately... the album with the Melvins, releasing CDs on HydraHead (the label of one of the Isis guys), and doing remixes of Tool tracks.

I always think it's an overstatement when people describe Lustmord as "evil" or even "scary" (I might go as far as "dark" or "spooky" or "sombre") especially considering that he seems such a good-natured guy.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:46:04 AM »
I agree mike-  I think the name creeps people out if anything, as the music is certainly dark, but is still quite beautiful and not so 'evil'.  I won't even go on about how much I enjoyed Stalker.
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
Vintage lustmord oblivion swirl...
Not sure on the abrasive strumming guitar...     H.

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 12:52:58 PM »
I like a lot of his output, but I found Metavoid very irritating. I think it was those dated synthesized choir "aaah" sounds and the "orchestral" sounds that crept into lots of the tracks. It sounded like a lot of the gothic stuff already out on the Projekt label.

I hope this one doesn't sound like that.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »
I always think it's an overstatement when people describe Lustmord as "evil" or even "scary" (I might go as far as "dark" or "spooky" or "sombre") especially considering that he seems such a good-natured guy.

I have to agree, I've gotten to know Brian over the years, he plays up a bit the "evil" "dark" images but its always with his tongue in cheek.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »
I got the evil from an interview I read on-line somewhere.I actually have one track by him and it is the Christmas song Silent Night.The song is anything but silent complete with "Bombs bursting in air".

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:40 AM »

I have to agree, I've gotten to know Brian over the years, he plays up a bit the "evil" "dark" images but its always with his tongue in cheek.

I'd agree with this too. Although he has recorded in some so called 'morbid' places and explores very dark places with some of his music IMO he does not appear to revel in the sense that would create the feeling of evil. This makes his creations very different to some who also explore the darker side of human nature but carry a very different feeling in their music

MPECK

• View Profile
    • MPECK MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »
I must say that after listening to this disk I'm a bit disappointed to say the least. Given the lineup I expected much more diversity or rather... I just expected more. Is it dark? I suppose, perhaps not dark enough. Is it good? Sure it's good, but not enough to call it great.

Alex79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »
Is there something else in the same line of Lustmord en Robert Rich?

Tips are always welcome !

Top class music though :-)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »
Some thoughts on [OTHER]:

First of all, I'm a big fan of both Lustmord and Melvins, so I was really looking forward to this.  After a few spins, I have to say that I'm not impressed.  It reminds me of the track "Hands First Flower" on the Joe Preston CD in the Melvins' "Kiss" series of disks, but without the sense of forboding, chaotic power, or building tension.  Sounds like the whole disk is an afterthought to me, like they're on autopilot.  It's not a bad listen, and makes a fine background while I'm doing some accounting, but it's definitely not up to the quality I expected.  C'mon, guys, you've all produced amazing things in the past; is this truly the best you could get out of a collaboration?
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 04:18:48 PM »
The disappointing reviews in this thread are enough to keep me away from this at least for a while.  There's a lot of music out there to hear.

Gustaf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 03:18:45 AM »
There's a great article on Lustmord in the latest issue of Rock-A-Rolla mag . SunDummy, you might be interested to know he talks extensively about working with Melvins and the Pigs... album

Website here : www.rock-a-rolla.com

Thaumogenesis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 06:04:48 AM »
I've ordered that issue solely for the Lustmord interview.

New album sounds great, and I dig the sparse guitar work which augments a few of the tracks. Godeater, in particular, is a standout piece. Nobody can get that 'depth' of sound.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »
Listening to the "Other" on iTunes...

Hmmmm...care to waste another ten bucks?

I bought most of the Lustmord albums up to Carbon/Core. But that lame effort (or lack thereof) combined with the cheeseball "Metavoid" or megavoid or whatever, formed a one-two punch that made me realize Lusty was just taking a very long cruise on his past accomplishments. He may be a champion at soundtracking films, but his albums just don't have enough substance or inspiration to stand up by themselves. Throwing some half-baked metal guitar licks in their to add to the cache just makes it all the more gimmicky...