Author Topic: pieces like: Steve Roach - The Eternal Expanse  (Read 4770 times)

DeepR

• View Profile
pieces like: Steve Roach - The Eternal Expanse
« on: January 31, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »
A golden oldie.
With respect to the other artists featured on the terrific 1998 compilation "The Ambient Expanse", the finale from Steve Roach is quite something else. https://steveroach.bandcamp.com/track/the-eternal-expanse-2

I've been listening to this piece many times during the last year. Also while commuting, working etc. A few reviewers found it a little bland and uninspired. They are not hearing it. It takes time to get into.

It's one of the most dynamic and richly layered pieces Steve has composed. I'd call it a "tone painting". While it lingers in the same harmonic zone, the key is in its subtleties. There's a feeling of ebb and flow, of space and expansion that I've rarely heard elsewhere. Near the end, sound becomes pure emotion. Truly majestic.
Play it LOUD!

Any suggestions for pieces with a similar feel (that are not by Steve Roach)?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:22:17 AM by DeepR »

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: pieces like: Steve Roach - The Eternal Expanse
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:23:16 AM »
I found Max Corbacho has closely emulated Roach's sound from the late 1990s to mid 2000s (my preferred era from Roach), and sounds very similar to the track you posted.

IMO his double CD "The Ocean Inside" is his magnum opus. A mix of "Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces", "Darkest Before Dawn", "The Magnificent Void"
https://maxcorbacho.bandcamp.com/album/the-ocean-inside-double-album
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:51:13 AM »
I agree; that is a lovely piece. It nicely captures for me a kind of ambient that makes you feel as if you're suspended in the clouds, floating effortlessly over vast spaces.

I think Mike is spot on: Max Corbacho's work seems most similar. The album of his that I think best captures the atmosphere in question is Ars Lucis. The entire album is great, but check out the track Light-Matrix Portal in particular. https://maxcorbacho.bandcamp.com/album/ars-lucis

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »
I think Mike is spot on: Max Corbacho's work seems most similar. The album of his that I think best captures the atmosphere in question is Ars Lucis. The entire album is great, but check out the track Light-Matrix Portal in particular. https://maxcorbacho.bandcamp.com/album/ars-lucis

Yeah, can't agree more, "Light-Matrix Portal" is a magnum opus by Max!!!

Richard

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »
I'd recommend the Numina track Empire of Nothing from his Hypnos CD The Deception of Reality.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:53:24 AM »
I have that Desert Colection CD. It is superb. will play that tonight and remind myself of the track in the OP. Hope there will be a volume 2 of this.

I have been checking out Max Carbacho and Amhir Baghira's work in recent months and enjoyed it all. Will have to become more immersed and familiar with the music of both.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 01:57:07 AM »
As well as the well known albums and pieces Steve has a number of little hidden gems, not generally so well known.
Sitting at work at present so unable to list ones I like but will dig the info out when at home.
(aha - one is 'Hovering' on Dreaming...now, then....)

I also like Tuu - The Frozen Lands. Perhaps not as layered, but very spacey and atmospheric.

I have not been getting everything Steve does for a number of years - would I be right in thinking that the deep space sound of 'The Magnificent Void' is less prominent in his releses?

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 01:03:09 PM »
You would be right.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 01:29:19 AM »
sorry - correction - I think Drift is on the Dreaming... Now, Then album.

Hovering is on Pure Flow......

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 08:41:10 AM »
Thanks all, some lovely music. I need to listen more to Max Corbacho! Some suggestions are a bit gentle compared to Roach' more dramatic sound in The Eternal Expanse.