Author Topic: Beyond the Borders: Ultima Thule Ambient Volume 2  (Read 5316 times)

Juta Takahashi

• View Profile
    • Juta Takahashi | Official Website
Beyond the Borders: Ultima Thule Ambient Volume 2
« on: February 13, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »

"Beyond the Borders: Ultima Thule Ambient Volume 2", which consists of previously-unreleased music created exclusively for Ultima Thule's 25th anniversary in February 2014, has just been released after two year wait.

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Beyond the Borders: Ultima Thule Ambient Volume 2
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »
Nice to see, but I don't remember hearing about it becoming a formal release when I agreed to contribute a track.  $20 seems a little high, considering that I think everyone donated their tracks.  Oh well, it's for a good cause.

Forrest

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
I've been contacted by George of UT and artists named on the compilation are being given the opportunity to opt out of the compilation.  According to the email, the proceeds will be split evenly with the artists.  I have reluctantly opted out of use of my track ,"Veldt Hypnosis," because the final version of it was released on my 2015 album, "Letters To The Farthest Star," and it is therefore already available.  The link is currently down, presumably so that other artists can decide whether to opt out or stay in.

Forrest

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 02:04:43 PM »
That seems a reasonable compromise solution to me Forrest.

BTW - I don't think that having your track on the comp would take away from your Letters album - but might lead some people who buy the whole shebang to your music. If you're no longer happy with that version of the piece then it's another matter.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
It's an earlier version of the piece, so I didn't want it to be competing with the finished one.  BTW, I went back to my email correspondence from October 2013 and he only mentioned the special radio show and not a possible compilation for sale.  I'm probably not the only one who didn't know.

I was probably more irritated by his tone more than anything else.

I offered him a piece in its place, but he wasn't interested.  Oh well.  Can't say I didn't try!

Forrest
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:08:57 PM by ffcal »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 02:46:38 AM »
George sent me an email too, I was fine with his request.
I made a point of keeping my track exclusive to his project. But saying that, I think I may have made a video for it on youtube (?)

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 08:23:33 AM »
The other thing I thought was interesting is that now he's saying that this compilation is for commercial purposes, and is not intended as a fundraiser.  That's another reason he should have made his intentions more explicit.  I've learned from my legal practice that this carelessness is the sort of thing that can end up in litigation.  He at least is now doing the right thing.

Forrest

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 02:38:32 PM »
I just found now that George has posted yet another one of my tracks sent for a prior UT show fundraiser in 1999 as part of another commercial compilation for sale.  Needless to say, I didn't consent to this and had no prior knowledge of this other compilation, nor did he even mention it as we were discussing the withdrawal of the Veldt Hypnosis track.  I ask that my fans not support the sale of his various compilations until he obtains proper consents from all artists on them.

Forrest

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:19:58 PM by ffcal »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »
Wow, this sounds extremely shady.  I wouldn't buy it and support this kind of nonsense.