Author Topic: Rapoon "Library of the Dead"?  (Read 7942 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Rapoon "Library of the Dead"?
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
There is a new Rapoon CD available from the Rapoon site, on a small Russian label.  Haven't seen any reviews/comments yet.  Anybody have this? It's called "the Library of the Dead." Sounds like a fun CD...

Undershadow

Re: Rapoon "Library of the Dead"?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »

All I've seen is the press release/blurb on Cold Meat Industry and Tesco websites. The newie seems to be based on manipulated vocal samples.

http://www.coldmeat.se/mailorderitem.asp?id=2557

http://store.tesco-germany.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=CDXRIST059

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:40:56 AM »
It feels like getting a Rapoon release without knowing anything about it is flipping the coin and hoping for the best. Some uneven work coming from this guy, though his good stuff is quite good...

darren bergstein

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »

All I've seen is the press release/blurb on Cold Meat Industry and Tesco websites. The newie seems to be based on manipulated vocal samples.

copy en route to e/i central as we speak, direct from robin himself, with review to follow soon.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:16:01 PM »
It feels like getting a Rapoon release without knowing anything about it is flipping the coin and hoping for the best. Some uneven work coming from this guy, though his good stuff is quite good...

I agree- for every From Shadows Sleep is a Messianic Ghosts. I'll have to hear samples.

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
I'll buy anything from Rapoon anytime,anyday.He remains one of my favorite artists.I can't wait till my copy gets here!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »
Well I didn't order this for fear it would be like "Mental Travellers," which was a huge disappointment. Didn't care much for Alien Glyph Morphology, either.  But Church Road was awesome.  Agreed--the guy is definitely hit and miss.  He had that period around 93-97 when there were very few disappointments.  Was also disappointed to learn the "US tour" only consisted of one show in Boston.  Would be a dream come true to see Mr. Storey live in action...

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 06:21:16 AM »
Robin is definitely hit and miss...itching to buy it, but not doing it unless I hear the samples!

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 04:17:57 PM »
His only release that I had a problem with was Rhiz.That one was difficult for me.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »
Has anyone heard Library Of The Dead yet? What are your impressions?

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »
I have not seen one comment or review.  My finger keeps going off/on the order button at his site, it's like a Russian roulette--you don't know what you'll get (weird unlistenable experiment or rapturous ambient headtrip)...Mr. Bergstein, your review please!

Undershadow

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 02:09:09 AM »

(weird unlistenable experiment or rapturous ambient headtrip)

Frequently concurrently or consecutively ;)

darren bergstein

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 06:21:41 AM »
I have not seen one comment or review.  My finger keeps going off/on the order button at his site, it's like a Russian roulette--you don't know what you'll get (weird unlistenable experiment or rapturous ambient headtrip)...Mr. Bergstein, your review please!

okay, time has permitted a dip into robin's new one, so here are some initial impressions, an 'informal' overview for the time being...

first, the disc's m.o.: utilizing a single sound source, (presented to him, sung a-capella, by a russian singer named tatyana toloka-stepchenko), rapoon was then given free rein to slice, splice and dice as he saw fit into the 17 tracks that make up the album. the first two pieces are somewhat baroque in nature, comprised of surging strings behind which soar the vocals in a choir-like fashion. afterwards, things take a decided turn towards the 'strange': track three finds storey doing his best wolfgang voigt/gas impression sans rhythms; track four loops tatyana's voice and tosses the fragments into deep caves of echo wherein she effectively accompanies herself (this piece is reminiscent of similar works off of rapoon's earliest recordings); track five makes more pronounced usage of 'glitch-y' elements chugging amidst more obvious synthesized sounds. from there, robin varies the formula throughout, letting everything including piano (almost Budd-esque in a sense!), those heavenly voices, high-pitched frequency loops, and other manners of off-key sounds haunt the proceedings.

straight-on 'ambient' this is not in many ways, 'library' is one of storey's more 'experimental' works, but this is not to say it doesn't host many of his large catalog's trademark motifs. taken as a whole, it certainly works for me, but then again, i've always found rapoon-work to never be less than interesting, whether mutating middle-eastern minimalism or autopsying the vagaries of the drone/loop ad infinitum. call 'library' a happy medium between the two extreme rapoon poles, shifting, changing, altering...good stuff.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
I like this a lot, upon my first listen today.  This is not weird, harsh, too experimental, or anything else I had feared, but quite melodic, warm, peaceful, and quite beautiful throughout, and one of the more truly ambient releases from Storey in quite some time.  So those who didn't like Rhiz, My Life as a Ghost, or other "beat heavy" discs, "Dead" should be more to your liking, and definitely harkens back to the classic early releases like Fallen Gods, Vernal Crossing, Kirghiz Light, etc.  Beautiful vocals, almost DCD/Cocteau Twins-ish in spots.  70 minutes! On a side note, don't know how RS does it, but every disc I've ordered from him has arrived (from UK to San Francisco) in about 3 days. Nice!

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 09:42:12 PM »
Thanx to all, just ordered mine!

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 12:49:25 PM »
Very nice experimental ambient work that uses  processed traditional folk vocals. As a side note, how is it that Robin consistently manages to deliver CD's from England to  midwest USA in 2-3 business days (ordered on Saturday, received Wednesday...), while a lot of deadbeat local mail-order music sellers and artists drag it out for 2-3 weeks and then act insulted when you e-mail them to enquire about where the f---k my order is???

christeaves

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 06:23:15 PM »
I'm a big fan of Rapoon, although the audio cd Alien Glyph Morphology's first half was flat, the 2nd half sounded better (of I remember correctly).

Library... also seemed a little off, maybe just different.. I will listen to it again soon and see what I think....

christeaves

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
Has anyone heard the Objects of Desire cd????

Thanks,
CE

christeaves

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »
I wasn't able to get a copy of Messianic Ghosts...What does it sound like?

Thanks,
CE

christeaves

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »
I did find these samples online for Obscure Objects of Desire:

http://www.heathenharvest.com/article.php?story=20081219153646653

It sounds buyable. :P