Author Topic: Android needs more synth apps.  (Read 2573 times)

Castleview

• View Profile
Android needs more synth apps.
« on: April 05, 2016, 01:45:22 PM »
Yeah, I know the quality of Android devices is all over the place but there are Android devices that can easily handle professional synth apps, like the Nvidia Shield Tablet. Plus, Android has a bigger market share than iOS. It can't be that hard to develop for it.

It's a shame because I'm actually enjoying the few synths that I've found so far for my Shield.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:55:50 PM by Castleview »
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Desolation, available now.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Android needs more synth apps.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:01:26 PM »
My understanding is that latency is a major problem for most android devices, so music apps that you are not directly playing work best - like a drum machine or something sequenced.

What apps are you digging on your device?

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »
I've been plugging in my Shield Tablet to my computer with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adaptor cable, my Nanoverb, and an Lexicon Alpha. Works fine for me.

As far as apps go, I've been using PicoPico, DRC, and ExSynth. Virtual ANS is interesting but hard to figure out how to use.

I wish Animoog would get ported over. Finding out that it wasn't available for Android inspired me to make this topic.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:47:02 PM by Castleview »
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Desolation, available now.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
I don't know the current state of all things android and audio, I gave up on it a few years ago.
Even though iOS devices are expensive, feature limited and crippled by the lack of any kind of file management system, there are still loads of really good apps nonetheless. Korg Gadget, Auria Pro, Cubasis etc.