Author Topic: RIP Tomita  (Read 1424 times)

Seren

• View Profile
RIP Tomita
« on: May 10, 2016, 12:50:13 AM »
Just heard that Tomita has died - this is another one of those that really hits hard, I remember getting The Planets as a youngster.  :'(

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: RIP Tomita
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »
Isao Tomita was a Grandmaster of the Moog. While Carlos set the bar incredibly high right out of the gate with the SOB recordings, Tomita floated over it on the textural clouds of Snowflakes Are Dancing.

As a lover of sound in space, I feel blessed that he has been re-releasing his earlier albums in higher-resolution surround-sound "ultimate editions". He was still creating and preparing for concerts when he died at 84. An inspiration always. RIP Tomita.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »
One of the things I liked about Tomita is that he wasn't a purist.  He didn't limit himself to one type of gear or even to synthesizers alone and was liberal in his reinterpretations of Debussy, Stravinsky and Holst.

Forrest

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »
I was always gobsmacked by 'The Planets' - creating that complexity of sound from monosynths that were hard to keep in tune and analogue recording without mid etc was a huge achievement.

I will listen to it again very soon

Oenyaw new

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »
The Planets is not just an album presenting the piece as played on synthesizers, it is a brilliant interpretation of the piece. Beginning with a small wind up music box, the progressing into a spaceship lift-off, flowing into Mars. Mars was a sonic roller coaster. I always thought of 2001; ASpace Odessy listening to voices on Jupiter. At the end, the return to the music box has always bewildered me. The entire album blows me away. Snowflakes are Dancingay not be my favorite, but it's definitely the most relaxing, and the one I listen to the most. Bolero, Grand Canyon, Firebird are difficult to find, and require many listening. Pictures at an Exhibition, also brilliant. Kosmos bordered on heavy metal, and was often heard at the dorm at FSU at full volume. But my personal favorite has always been The Bermuda Triangle. I can't say how many times I've listened to that one late at night with the lights off, and after living on an island, within a mile from the beach for a good chunk of my childhood, the midnight surf at the end of side one is a favorite recording... ever. RIP, and thanks for all the music.