Author Topic: Tech Talk with Jaja  (Read 2015 times)

stargazer

• View Profile
Tech Talk with Jaja
« on: October 30, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
Today we launched our Tutorials section in our Cyan website.

There you can find tutorials about hardware service and, for now, a tech talk with me that I copied for an easier access in this thread but you can also visit our website of course: http://www.cyan-music.com/tutorials.html

Tech Talk with Jaja:

German synthesist and stargazer Jaja now successful explores the space ambient universe for many years. Besides her free digital releases she offers physical releases in form of Audio Compact Discs.

Jaja has a very close relation to her synthesizers, the Roland JD-800 and the Roland XV-88. Her compositions are always played and recorded live. As experienced and passionated hardware synthesizer user, she talks here on CYAN about her inspirations, loudness and production techniques.

Official Website  | Bandcamp

Which 3 points are most important on writing a new track?
Inspiration, composure and inner peace. Above all, its about: Why there is music and what is it made for? The answer is quite simple: Our inner voice, which plays an instrument. The instrument, which tells our melody. So, the selection of the instrument is the prerequisite for successful playing. Everyone has different requirements, talent and passion about. But is always the inspiration that drives us. Composure which opens us. Inner peace which lets us.

Which role plays loudness on writing or recording a track?
Loudness is a very important topic, but overrated most times. Its important to find a value which fits the needs of hearing and feeling the music in equal measure and creates an own room sound that keeps some free space for inspiration and leisure. In sumn, it is a loudness the room can reflect at this moment. In addition, the post production has to handle the results of the recorded room sound sensitive.

What influences most while playing music?
The sound influences playing music most. It is uplifting and catalyzing to work within a perfect soundscape. When the sound returns to you and affects itself through this, because you hear and feel. It really can create something very unique.

What techniques are used most frequently?
Its the simple techniques: One device, one track, one composition and few recordings. Most times, simplicity makes music authentic. And extreme important: A perfect preparation and knowledge of the used sounds and gear.

You are working with the Roland JD-800 and the Roland XV-88. What moved you to this selection, and how are your experiences with those two devices? What are the differences between those both?
The search for the perfect possibilities of realisation of my dreams and musical preferences, which brought me to my both perfect synths. Only synthesizers with keys and much sliders came into consideration. Both Roland synthesizers offer a varity of sounds through digital samples and the assertiveness of hardware gear. Those both devices are heavyweights and true Rolands. The differences are 9 years in developement from 1991s JD-800 to 2000s XV-88. The JD-800 only offers 24 voices, but is an absolute sound blaster while the XV-88 offers 128 voices and sounds super silky. The JD-800 simply invites to create sounds through its many knobs and sliders, the XV-88 comes as contrast with a 7 octave keyboard and weighted keys.

Encouragement:
Play music when inspired and research the room sound.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:35:12 AM by stargazer »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: Tech Talk with Jaja
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
Jana, it is very special how you express the relationship to your instruments....they are your friends in music and creation, inspiring and perhaps pushing you to grow.

Thanks for sharing this in section that can often be about impersonal gear eye candy with little content.

The pictures of you studio space have a really good vibe......."these are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise"  ;)
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 11:19:54 PM »
Jana, it is very special how you express the relationship to your instruments....they are your friends in music and creation, inspiring and perhaps pushing you to grow.

Thanks for sharing this in section that can often be about impersonal gear eye candy with little content.

The pictures of you studio space have a really good vibe......."these are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise"  ;)

Julio, we got the XV-88 and JV-2080 new to our studio and both were an amazing addition. Yesterday our Equalizer brokes (main switch for the soundsystem).
And so there always is something happen but it it so fun to have this space. Thank you for your words  :)

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 09:22:14 PM »
Listening to your track Tayeta on the Drone Zone right now.   Just what I needed.

Are the Rolands the instruments on this?

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 03:32:09 AM »
Listening to your track Tayeta on the Drone Zone right now.   Just what I needed.

Are the Rolands the instruments on this?

Scott, thank you for your interest :)

Tayeta is made with the Roland JD-800 synthesizer and additional reverb (I think I used the Vallhalla Room).
The Roland XV-88 is new to my studio and will be featured on my next album together with my outboard reverb by TC Electronics that I now have for 2 years.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »
I love ValhallaRoom. One of my favorite reverbs.

Really nice setup.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Elemental Wave, available now on Black Dingo Records:
https://duffegan.bandcamp.com/album/elemental-wave

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
I love ValhallaRoom. One of my favorite reverbs.

Really nice setup.

Thank you!

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »
New to the studio since today:

Lexicon PCM-92 reverb/effectprocessor unit

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »
That's a gorgeous unit. I hope you find in it what you are after.  8)
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 03:35:45 AM »
That's a gorgeous unit. I hope you find in it what you are after.  8)

Thanks Anthony. Surprisingly the unit is really heavy. The menue is very intuitive and easy to use, and it has plenty more options.
The sound is awesome! It immediately inspired me begin to rework my next album :)

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 02:04:42 AM »
We moved to a new house and expanded our room accoustic tremendously. The ceiling high is 4,5 meters. Now there is lots of hall and reverb and the sounds sounding like never before. Here is a panorama photograph of the studio. On the left side, you see my two synths and my recording station. I still look for a new piano bank (this one is the beloved place for my cat to whet his claws) and new stands for the monitors are coming soon.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 06:48:47 AM »
Jana, what a beautiful open space.....the light is wonderful.  You like your monitors very wide apart or did the panoramic photo stretch the perspective? :)

"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »
Jana, what a beautiful open space.....the light is wonderful.  You like your monitors very wide apart or did the panoramic photo stretch the perspective? :)

Thanks Julio :)

Yes the monitors indeed have much space. You see all right :) We really like to have the sounds expanding in the whole room, and especially for my music it is even necessary.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 02:12:16 PM »
Definitely a very light and open space - and not full of other things....

I too thought it might be the panorama pic that made the speakers look so far apart.

Is there not a 'blank' or 'empty' space between the speakers or how far away are you able to sit to listen?

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 04:37:34 PM »

Thanks Julio :)

Yes the monitors indeed have much space. You see all right :) We really like to have the sounds expanding in the whole room, and especially for my music it is even necessary.

Of course...that makes sense.  Do you listen from a more central position in the middle of the room..... auditioning music when at your iMac would have you hearing a lot more of the right channel.

Perhaps in such a beautiful space you may walk a little while you audition your compositions, so the more established studio methods are not so important for you.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »
Definitely a very light and open space - and not full of other things....

I too thought it might be the panorama pic that made the speakers look so far apart.

Is there not a 'blank' or 'empty' space between the speakers or how far away are you able to sit to listen?

Thanks Andy :)

No empty spaces between the boxes, but we have few bass spots in the room.
Often I take my piano bank to sit in the spot of the monitors. This is 2-3 meters away from the audio mixing console.
But I listen to the sounds from many positions and also over headphones and other systems.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »
Of course...that makes sense.  Do you listen from a more central position in the middle of the room..... auditioning music when at your iMac would have you hearing a lot more of the right channel.

Perhaps in such a beautiful space you may walk a little while you audition your compositions, so the more established studio methods are not so important for you.

Mostly I stand in the middle of the room to audition music. Often I hear the recordings over the whole day or night in my daily life.
Then I live with the sounds and I can study the room sound :)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 12:24:20 AM »
Do you listen facing the speakers and/or standing between them facing the room?

A Hi-Fi dealer I visited (and got my current speakers from) thought I played in an orchestra as orchestra members often stand between the speakers to listen, because that is how they hear the music they play....

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 03:05:38 AM »
Do you listen facing the speakers and/or standing between them facing the room?

A Hi-Fi dealer I visited (and got my current speakers from) thought I played in an orchestra as orchestra members often stand between the speakers to listen, because that is how they hear the music they play....

Andy: I listen facing the speakers and the ceiling just to make sure the sounds have its space. I think it is quite fascinating to sit in the middle of an orchestra.
Would love to have a surround system but I try to achieve this feeling by widely standing monitors and through the use of a subwoover (one of the most important devices to achieve sound feeling).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:58:53 AM by stargazer »

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »

That is way too much space. Ideally you should be at the tip of a perfect triangle, where you are the same distance from either speaker as they are from each other. Right now you would have to be in your neighbors apartment for that to occur.  ;D  Honestly that layout would drive me crazy, where the keyboards and computer are right next to one speaker, and then miles away from the other. And the effects rack right under the mixer forcing you to straddle it or stand the entire time when using the mixer. But whatever works for you.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell