Author Topic: NEW - Julio Di Benedetto & Anthony Paul Kerby: Falling Into Place  (Read 27797 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: NEW - Julio Di Benedetto & Anthony Paul Kerby: Falling Into Place
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
Anthony,

I think you have the title for your next album:  "No Handrails."  ;)

I've been enjoying your collab with Julio this past week.  I think the edginess of Julio's modular sounds compliment the softer palate you use very nicely.  Yes, there are occasional Eno/Budd reference points, but I don't see that as a bad thing, since your distinctive style and Julio's unique timbres come through.  Congrats to you and Julio for such a nice release!

Forrest

Thanks Forrest for your nice words.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/

ślfə

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 08:05:25 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the handrail analogy, you're welcome.

Yes, this style it's not for me. I tend to prefer slowly evolving layers that morph into other things, clearly identifiable during the whole track, not noises that appear and disappear in random ways, leaving a feeling of emptiness, imo a good candidate for auto generative music.

I found some technical mistakes as well I can crop and post them here, just in case you want to polish them.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
Not needed, thanks.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »
Not needed, thanks.

Isn't the internet wonderful?   Hard to tell a bot from a critic these days.  ;)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
Many thanks for your earlier comments on the album, Forrest.
I appreciate it.
www.dataobscura.com

ślfə

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 02:15:56 PM »
Except some ''bots'' pay for the album and have a critic. Sorry about it, this is the back-patting zone.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 09:55:56 PM »
Yes, this style it's not for me. I tend to prefer slowly evolving layers that morph into other things, clearly identifiable during the whole track, not noises that appear and disappear in random ways, leaving a feeling of emptiness, imo a good candidate for auto generative music.

You did well here alfalfa....you perfectly described my part of the project and it was 100% auto generated.  I patched up the modular over a period of time and when I felt the patch had reached its zenith I pressed record and I let it do its thing. Completely auto generated, well actually control voltage generated but the same thing from the listening perspective.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 12:13:40 AM »
Yes, this style it's not for me.

This much is apparent.  The rest of your "advice" I would take with a grain of salt.

ślfə

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 08:40:19 AM »

You did well here alfalfa....you perfectly described my part of the project and it was 100% auto generated.  I patched up the modular over a period of time and when I felt the patch had reached its zenith I pressed record and I let it do its thing. Completely auto generated, well actually control voltage generated but the same thing from the listening perspective.

Thanks for sharing the process, Julio. It's an interesting approach and I think I prefer to listen to it isolated. Later this week, I will listen to your soundcloud.  I think it's just a clash of techniques, maybe some more collabs and it will be a perfect marriage, and you are at the brink of something new. APK sounds more VA-ish, Virus, Waldorf, Korg, correct me if I'm wrong, personally I love VA and his part was really good.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
No Virus or Waldorf, just 50/50 Native Instrument stuff and Korg Minilogue. Designed to keep things interesting/changing, as befits the modular underpinning, and certainly not in the slowly evolving ambient tradition.
www.dataobscura.com

ślfə

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 09:38:41 AM »
...and Korg Minilogue.

This little beast, I have to pick one myself!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 09:52:40 AM »
It being polyphonic gives it a big edge over the new Monologue.
Though the Monologue is a great little synth for the price.
www.dataobscura.com

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »

Thanks for sharing the process, Julio. It's an interesting approach and I think I prefer to listen to it isolated. Later this week, I will listen to your soundcloud.  I think it's just a clash of techniques, maybe some more collabs and it will be a perfect marriage, and you are at the brink of something new.

Your Welcome.

My modular contributions to "Falling into Pace" were created from around the end of 2015 and through most of 2016 as an independent sound blog.  Only later once APK conceived the idea of this collaboration  did it manifest into this project.  That being said I disagree that there is a clash of techniques, on the contrary APK took my experimental sounds and crafted a beautiful and magical sonic world, often dark and melancholic yet for me full of wonder. 

Because of the nature of this collaboration and how the modular aspect of it is not always prevalent though always present I was able for the first time to listen with true objectivity.  Not something I can do with my own solo projects.

I respect your perspective and if the opportunity arises we may again set a course into the unknown!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 05:48:17 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

ślfə

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »
My modular contributions to "Falling into Pace" were created from around the end of 2015 and through most of 2016 as an independent sound blog.  Only later once APK conceived the idea of this collaboration  did it manifest into this project.  That being said I disagree that there is a clash of techniques, on the contrary APK took my experimental sounds and crafted a beautiful and magical sonic world, often dark and melancholic yet for me full of wonder.

It seems you have little experience with modulars, for example Suzanne Ciani can sound musical with modulars, the norm is randomness. APK looks like he possess musical experience, but I don't want to insist in this subject. Like I said it's just a personal opinion, and maybe even you a few years from now will agree that it could be better. I just don't understand why some people sell themselves as the best thing since sliced bread, with no room for improvement, your work should talk by itself words are just words.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:52:41 AM by ślfə »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »
ślfə -- I don't think Julio is at all saying his work is the best thing since sliced bread ... he freely admits he's relatively new to modulars and it is all largely experimentation still. He's only saying that he was very pleased with the final result of the collaboration. I'm of course pleased with it too, or I wouldn't have released it.

ślfə -- please stop messing with this thread. You made your point way back. Leave it at that.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:18:36 AM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »
It seems you have little experience with modulars, for example Suzanne Ciani can sound musical with modulars, the norm is randomness. APK looks like he possess musical experience, but I don't want to insist in this subject. Like I said it's just a personal opinion, and maybe even you a few years from now will agree that it could be better. I just don't understand why some people sell themselves as the best thing since sliced bread, with no room for improvement, your work should talk by itself words are just words.

ślfə, I have no idea who you are, but anyway, I own every single physical release by Anthony Paul Kerby and trust me, his discography is quite extensive, just the same with Julio Di Benedetto's releases and I don't remember these guys were ever selling their music "as the best thing since sliced bread". You can be sure APK's work talks by itself, and just the same with Julio's albums, although his discography is much smaller. ślfə, maybe you should introduce yourself first and maybe share some links about your soundsculptings if there are any. And btw, what kind of equipment did you use when exploring "Falling Into Place"? I am just wondering, because you have mentioned you had to raise the volume to the max. I didn't notice any related problems during deep listening sessions via speakers or headphones. As you said, words are just words, so please throw some links for some exquisite soundscaping. Sorry, if I am a bit offensive, but enough is enough and I simply couldn't resist. All the best!!!

Richard  ;)

ślfə

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
I'm nobody and I came out of nowhere and it seems I'm already dead. Does it answer your question?

About the equipment, I've used my laptop with Audio Technica ATH M70x headphones, when I compare it with other artists the volume is much lower, but it's ok.

I'm going to review this album elsewhere since I can't do it properly here.

Cheers!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »
ślfə : If you want to be a part of this community (and not be mistaken for yet another alter ego of Ekstasis) then introduce yourself properly (there is a section for that), and respond with care in threads. We are here to enjoy each other's company, enjoy the music, and have friendly and sometimes insightful conversation. Being anonymous only makes you questionable.
www.dataobscura.com

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »
ślfə : If you want to be a part of this community (and not be mistaken for yet another alter ego of Ekstasis) then introduce yourself properly (there is a section for that), and respond with care in threads. We are here to enjoy each other's company, enjoy the music, and have friendly and sometimes insightful conversation. Being anonymous only makes you questionable.

I don't think he needs to drop anonymity completely but dropping the aggresive criticism would do wonders, especially when talking to people who have been making ambient music for a long time. There's no need for that.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »

About the equipment, I've used my laptop with Audio Technica ATH M70x headphones, when I compare it with other artists the volume is much lower, but it's ok.

Cheers!

Are you running a headphone amp and DAC? Did you apply replay gain tags to the lossless files? If not, that may very well be the problem. I see a lot of people these days complain about albums being mastered too quietly because the loudness war is the norm. Then it turns out these people lack the proper equipment to play albums that are mastered in a more traditional fashion.

They are used to everything being compressed, LOUD AND IN YOUR FACE, and are playing albums through a laptop or cell phone headphone jack with no headphone amp. Problem is these headphone jacks don't put out enough gain.

Note that I have not heard the album in question but I have purchased albums by APK and Julio solo. Those albums were mastered at an appropriate volume. I can only assume at this point that this album was as well.