Author Topic: Blade Runner Sequel  (Read 1435 times)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Blade Runner Sequel
« on: December 23, 2016, 07:34:12 PM »
Hi strangers,

Maybe you've seen this already, if not, here it is.  The snow at the beginning is neat.  I always thought having a snowy landscape in any possible sequel would be a nice twist to the future noir look of things, maybe even a future New York rather than LA. 

And the total contrast of that dusty landscape... where is that I wonder?  It reminds me of Philip K Dick's original Electric Sheep novel which had the entire story in such an environment, rather than the rainy take of Blade Runner.  Anyway, not sure if I'm sold on Ryan Gosling (he's definitely a replicant  ;) ), and bringing back Harrison Ford.  However, this new director is not to be slept on, and from an interview I saw, he knew going in this was a huge challenge creating a compelling sequel in this age of cheap reboots and cash-ins.  Rumor has it the script was interesting enough to warrant this resurrection.  Cautiously optimistic... your thoughts? 

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: Blade Runner Sequel
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 06:30:58 AM »
Does not really say or show too much but I am really excited to see this.

Deckard's gun looks very similar to the original.

Music in the trailer has the same melody and Vangelis sound.  Soundtrack will be critical.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
It would be hard to top or even hang with Vangelis' score.  This sequel will need to uniquely stand on its own, somehow. 

The director has directed some pretty grisly movies, and some with weird, metaphoric and ironic twists & turns.  His latest movie Arrival is worth watching, and gives some promise to how he may approach this.  Arrival is a very slow, ambient movie that kind of tricks the audience with the ending (well it may not have tricked people to the extent I was fooled- I may have overthought it and expected a more complicated interpretation)

At any rate Arrival was one of the best sci-fi movies this year, easily.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 06:54:18 PM »
Agree, Arrival was fantastic. And the soundtrack, by Johann Johannsson, is spectacular as well.

I'm also looking forward to the new Bladerunner, but I'm skeptical about whether it will be as compelling as the original.

Lepley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »
I can't recommend Blade Runner 2049 enough. Great movie, especially if you're a franchise/genre fan.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
Very much enjoyed it, except for the over the top soundtrack in a number of places.
Great visuals. Nicely obscure plot. Recommended.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
I was blown away by it. I was expecting to have all the trappings of a Hollywood sequel. But everything about this was fantastic (no spoilers): The non-rushed pace, the visuals, the atmospheric music, the technology, and the story.

As far as recent sci-fi films go, I think Arrival takes the lead. But BR 2049 was excellent.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much, Chris.
I'm already looking forward to seeing it again in a few months.  8)
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

marga.stine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 10:28:08 PM »
I have watched the classic and trust me it's really good. Harrison Ford will always be one of the best actors of his time. The 2hours and 44 mins is worth it, but you will surely need more popcorn.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:30:23 PM by marga.stine »
A network analyst at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.