Author Topic: Darkest Ambient  (Read 52627 times)

DeepR

• View Profile
Re: Darkest Ambient
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
Organic Cloud is awesome but the real standout tracks are the 'light' relaxing ones (3 & 4).

I'd like to mention Klaus Schulze - Mirage (1977) for its first track Velvet Voyage in particular (original releases, NOT the 2005 rerelease with a weaker version).
I consider it to be one of the greatest dark atmospheric electronic tracks. A cornerstone track. I don't think there was anything like it before that could be better compared to dark ambient. It's something I always return to eventually. Not 'strictly' dark ambient, but many familiar elements.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:41:06 AM by DeepR »

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2009, 10:10:20 PM »
I think I'm going to check out that Klaus Schulze album.

Cyclic Law has a new one out, and it might be a good one, as it is from Par Bostrom, the man behind the excellent Kammarheit.

http://www.cycliclaw.com/21stcycle.html

cvac

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »
Well, I just listened to over a dozen samples off the Cylic Law website, from this disc as well as the oft-mentioned Kammerheit and Northaunt. The Northaunt tracks were the best of the bunch, but even those were not that great. Bottom line, this sort of thing was done better years ago. In general, I think dark sounding ambient music pretty much died around the mid to late 90s.

Cyclic Law has a new one out, and it might be a good one, as it is from Par Bostrom, the man behind the excellent Kammarheit.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
I think I'm going to check out that Klaus Schulze album.

You should. :) I forgot to mention track 2 is even greater than 1 (but less dark, more melodic). Mirage is such a classic...a masterpiece that has no equal.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
I would agree with you on Cyclic law, but not about dark ambient in general. A lot of great work has come out in the past few years. Who were your favourites from the period you mention?

Well, I just listened to over a dozen samples off the Cylic Law website, from this disc as well as the oft-mentioned Kammerheit and Northaunt. The Northaunt tracks were the best of the bunch, but even those were not that great. Bottom line, this sort of thing was done better years ago. In general, I think dark sounding ambient music pretty much died around the mid to late 90s.

cvac

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »
See the list I made above, a few posts up of some of my favorites.

In general, I'm not interested in "clones" of old albums or stuff that's contrived in the name of sounding "dark". I don't like crop of stuff because there aren't enough organic bits in the music. I'm not even a musician, but I can tell most of these guys are working with the same equipment/presets/software packed in to a pre-determined template.

I need some originality or at least personality in the music for it to be worth my time and $.

Out of curiosity, what are your favorites from the last few years?

Currently listening to KODA: movements

I would agree with you on Cyclic law, but not about dark ambient in general. A lot of great work has come out in the past few years. Who were your favourites from the period you mention?

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2009, 12:42:49 AM »
Wolfskin - O Ajuntar das Sombras
Terra Sancta - Disintegration

Recently gave a late night / hypnagogic headphone listen to Wolfskin's new album (or rather re-release) out on Malignant. It was in my for sale discard pile for a while, but has come back to the main collection big time after this deep listening session. Some amazing work, like an occult version of Robert Rich. Still getting deeper into Terra Sancta, a deep and rewarding experience. Revisitng Rich's Stalker has been quite fun recently, and I've had my eye on Below Zero for a listen of late. It has been a while.

Spring is here. In Seattle that mean chaos, some murky rain weather, and some gorgeous awakening. I find this time quite amiable for dark ambient musical flow.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
I certainly feel as though the high water mark of dark ambient was the mid-nineties, when even alt music magazines were talking about "isolationism" and artists like Lull and James Plotkin were getting unprecedented press.  I personally love a lot of that music, though I can't say I followed it past a certain period ... for me, the few albums I had were enough.

I don't play Robert Rich's Below Zero nearly enough.  What a wonderful collection, though I must admit I never really considered it "dark," just very deep outer space music, kind of like O÷phoi's Athlit.  When I think dark ambient, I think of post-industrial droning, or intentionally scary music like the silly grand guignol of Lustmord's Heresy with the shrieking baby dragon in the cave.  That is awesomely ridiculous music.

For new modern dark ambient I find excellent, I am surprised (or perhaps I missed it) not to see more mention of Deathprod.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2009, 12:32:05 AM »
My definition of dark ambient takes in a lot of nuances of the genre. The openly bombastic or dark in obvious ways is what I try to avoid (though I have certainly revelled in my share of it)

I like ambient that reaches down to the deepest levels of consciousness and dream. And sometimes dark things are there. Dark ambient embraces these things when it finds them, and sonically relates them. Robert Rich is an excellent artist who exhibits this trait. His music can be very light and even New Age (not a bad thing) and then he is willing to delve into very deep, dark, and sometimes scary (in a non Halloweeny way) music. An album like Stalker is frightening in a sense because it is so unobvious and willing to go into bizarre zones without restraint. It is ambiguous.

Checking out the Deathprod. The sample I am listening to sounded nice until the vocal sample kicked in. That usually ruins it for me...

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2009, 06:10:59 AM »
Maybe I'm really weird... but "Magnificent Void" I've never thought of as 'dark'.

That means you understand the album.
You could say it's a balanced play of darker and lighter tones and colors, which makes it sort of 'neutral' if that makes any sense.
But in the end everything we may assiociate with 'darkness' or 'light' doesn't exist in the Void anyway. 8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:15:19 AM by DeepR »

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2009, 11:05:08 PM »
I've been enjoying Shinkiro's The Way of the Gods very much recently.

Anyone out there finding the spark with some good dark delights?

Also been thinking very highly of Roach's new one, Dynamic Stillness, and how it seems to have a kind of relation to Stalker. Perhaps this is due to the cover art, but it is quite a deep record, fitting to be labelled under this genre.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:27:37 PM by 9dragons »

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2009, 02:55:58 AM »
I know it┤s a bit blatant tapping one┤s own shoulder but I thought you might like to give this a try:

My own "rhizophora" album has been perceived as extremely dark by some people, so you might want to give it a try, too:

http://www.musiczeit.com/album.php?album=846&Stephen+Parsick+Rhizophora

Our "doombient.three -- kalte sterne" album has also been hailed as being extremely cold, aloof, and dark:

http://www.musiczeit.com/album.php?album=996&%5B%27ramp%5D+doombient.three%3A+kalte+sterne

Have a listen and decide for yourselves.

Thanks,

Stpehen.

"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »
I like ambient that reaches down to the deepest levels of consciousness and dream. And sometimes dark things are there.

Wow, just saw this what a great quote from 9 Dragons. This really sums up my feelings of ambient and space music.

What I find interesting about the subject of Dark Ambient per say, is the albums that many people find dark...that others do not.  Like I have never found Oophoi's music dark, and with the exception of "Stalker" with Lustmord, I would also not use dark to describe Robert Rich's work either...I have even found some non ambient listeners to find some of Roach's work such as "Magnificent Void" makes them uncomfortable.

So is it personal perception that makes this music dark, or is it intent or both? The old "what is dark to me, may not be dark to you" argument if you will. Now some of the above albums and or musicians above make music that is definitely intense at times, but why the fascination of calling it dark? Maybe I can see Lustmord as purposely crafting dark ambient music.

Is it because when we call the music or mood of the music dark, we flirt with notions of intrigue, mystery, uncertainty, doom and even evil that are in essence romantic? Like reading or watching a good thriller?

It is also interesting to me that if we bring up a notion of "light" ambient music, often we tip toe on the new age fence, although Jeff Pearce would be a great example of light ambient that is still deep and mysterious, but also airy and uplifting if you will.

Back on the subject of intent, while I would not consider my album with Oophoi "Distance To Zero" dark ambient, I have often heard it described as dark and scary. What is interesting to me as a creator and a listener, is that was never my (or even Oophoi's as far as I know) intent. Now the music for me was birthed out of an unrest or discontent for my own view of the world at the time and there may be a cleansing or intensity to the music, but dark and scary was never a conscious intention.

So I guess that is back to what I find interesting, its like two people walking through an art gallery and looking at a painting where one person sees beauty and the other pain. Some of us find comfort in darkness and others are afraid of the dark if you will  ;)

Again this music walks an interesting balance between creator and listener and highlights what happens perceptively when either one brings their own baggage, intentions and tastes to the table, or is it our need to add a label to it which touches a perception and a need to be part of a club like goth music or death metal. In other words on the last statement do some people like or need to call this "Dark Ambient" just to feel edgy and cool? I listened to lots of Black Metal in high school for similar reaons...

I constantly wonder why the music I love to listen to is often moody and emotional VS happy and "peppy" if you will.

Just some of my thoughts,

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

atchid

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »
Well Said Paul. That's my point of view as well.

So much music I like is classified as dark ambient and that's not at all how I feel
about it. If anything, often mysterious but not necessarily dark.

P.S. First post but I've been lurking for years.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:49 AM »
Would you accept the tag "creepy ambient" for Distance to Zero? 

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2009, 01:02:11 AM »
Perhaps for listeners more used to 'lighter' music the term 'dark' ambient is more about the texture than context, the use of lower frequency sounds and drones etc as opposed to rhythms, pleasant chords and melodies.

I've been surprised how many people, who don't listen to ambient as a rule, have said that my music would be good on a horror film..... :o and I don't like or watch horror films so it's never been my intent to sound like that.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2009, 07:49:23 AM »
Yes - I get the "wow your music sounds like a horror film soundtrack" quite a bit - and frankly - my music really isn't dark or intended to be dark.   I lean towards dark now and then, but as a whole - no.   These comments usually come from co-workers who don't listen to a lot of instrumental music at all - let alone "ambient" or "techno" in any form.   It's interesting to me that the music comes off as dark and scary to them - but I guess compared to the Country Rock stuff that's kind of the norm around here - I suppose it is.   

And just like Seren - I don't like or watch horror films... 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »
There was some great "dark electronic" music by Wendy Carlos in the 1980 film "The Shining."   :-*

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
And just like Seren - I don't like or watch horror films... 

Maybe we should do a collab - "Music for Horror films?"

we could make it as light as possible, hence the question mark - or really do something scary ;D

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2009, 05:45:39 PM »
There was some great "dark electronic" music by Wendy Carlos in the 1980 film "The Shining."   :-*
really? i did not know that. i do know that she did some deep dark stuff for a clockwork orange.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com