Author Topic: Reaktor Filter  (Read 2332 times)

Tardigrade

• View Profile
Reaktor Filter
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »
Here is a Reaktor Filter I made recently.  Very pleased with the result.

Specs:

12db Highpass, Bandpass and Lowpass filters
Cutoff can be proportionally offset between the L and R channels
Dual independently adjustable Ring Modulators.  One for each channel.
Gated Noise module that envelope follows the input and has a separate fast noise gate
Saturation module with adjustable FAT !
Limiter that can sound clear or create an audible distortion effect
6db HP and LP final filters
Wet / dry signal mixer

Filter modulation sources:

Free run LFO with three waveform choices
Clock sync 8 step modulator with global shift and glide
Sample and hold modulator with output smoothing and two variable sample sources
Dual independently adjustable Envelope Followers.  One for each channel.

Anyone else here use Reaktor? 

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Reaktor Filter
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »
Very neat. You have packed a lot of goodness into that.
Signal flow is a bit unclear. Is it top down?
I do use Reaktor ensembles.
Have you put this in the user library?
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
Very neat. You have packed a lot of goodness into that.
Signal flow is a bit unclear. Is it top down?
I do use Reaktor ensembles.
Have you put this in the user library?

This is most of the signal flow.  It's mostly top down on the GUI.

The audio signal flow is

Input --> Attenuate -->  Ring Mod --> Gated Noise -->  12db filter -->  6db filters --> Mix with dry signal -->  Saturate --> Limit --> Output

All the modulators are summed to modulate the Cutoff.

Everything can be bypassed.

I haven't uploaded it to the user library and don't plan to.  It's almost finished.  If you want to play with it, I can attach it here.  It should be done in a week or so.  Time permitting.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »
Yep, that is clear.
Be happy to play with it when it's finished.
www.dataobscura.com

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
I think it's finished.

Some changes were made since the first post.

- The ring mod can be routed before or after the filter.  This is enabled by the button that says pre in the ring mod modules.

-  The cutoff L/R offset can be modulated by pressing the un-named button above the offset knob in the filter module.  This is basically a switch to modulate the cutoff in an equal (conventional) manner OR modulate the L and R filter frequencies inversely.  Modulating the offset creates interesting frequency dependent panning filter sweeps.  I wish any of my hardware synths had this feature.

-  The 8 step modulator received two new knobs named even and odd.  They shift the modulation values of the even or odd steps as a group.  This enables a way to create a variety of alternate phrases from the base settings of the step modulator.

- The saturation module was refined to automatically reduce post saturation gain as saturation increases.  The result is you can vary the saturation from minimum to maximum while maintaining a similar signal output.  With out this, the module could easily explode the output.

- The gated noise module received some refinements that are difficult to explain.  This was a tricky module to make.   

- Various knob and slider changes were made to make things fit or satisfy ergonomics.  A few blinking lights were added to ring mod and gated noise.  They are signal level indicators. 

I'll attach the ensemble file in the next post.  It was made with Reaktor 5.5ish. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:19:14 PM by Tardigrade »

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »
The ensemble file is attached here.  Please try it whenever you have the time.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Any feedback is appreciated including criticism.

I've used it on countless drum loops, drones, arpeggios and a wide variety of content.  I was able to make a broad range of very good outputs.  Of course, absolute garbage can be the result frequently.  With so many parameters and extreme ranges, it isn't possible to have 100% desirable sounds regardless of settings. 

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »
Some notes about the signal levels.

The input is automatically reduced by 3db.  This is intended as a safety buffer to accommodate hot input signals (-2db to 0db) while mitigating distortion.  It's still possible to produce unpleasant distortion within the plug in.  This can remedied via reducing gain within the plug in.  Input signals below -5db might need a boost before entering the filter. 

It should be noted the "limiter" module is a variation of the factory clipper macro.  It's purpose is to create clipping/limiting that may or may not be audible.  Reducing the limiter value to the minimum with a hot drone will likely create unpleasant distortion.  The same degree of clipper distortion on drums or other transient sources may produce desirable results that limiters designed with the intention of producing transparent results can't match.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »
Thanks for posting it.
It is fun to play with. Especially when the LFO further modulates the Modulator for some minor chaos and rhythmic glitching effects.
I like it. Overall it feels nicely restrained, meaning not as crazy as it could get, but more on the subtle side.
I'll feed some more things through it soon.

www.dataobscura.com

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
Thanks for posting it.
It is fun to play with. Especially when the LFO further modulates the Modulator for some minor chaos and rhythmic glitching effects.
I like it. Overall it feels nicely restrained, meaning not as crazy as it could get, but more on the subtle side.
I'll feed some more things through it soon.

Thanks for trying it and thanks for sharing your thoughtful feedback.

I tried to limit the range of the parameters in a way that I thought would produce mostly useful results.  I like extreme effects, but don't like twiddling knobs and blowing up my speakers or ears as a result.  It's really easy to explode a Reaktor filter that hasn't been restrained by design.  However, extreme effects and complex modulations are still possible with this plug in.

The 12db filter is often regarded as the "worst" Reaktor filter by some people on the internet.    Sure, Reaktor has a few subjectively "better" filters to use, but I think their run of the mill 12db filter is capable of making some very nice sounds.

I've had Reaktor for several years as part of the Komplete bundle, but haven't used it a lot.  Recently the Reaktor icon on my desktop spoke to me and said it needed to be used.  Now all can think about is what to make with Reaktor.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »
I think the NI stuff is the best. Love their synths ... so much quality and variety and invention.
The effects are excellent too. So is Guitar Rig to run stuff through.
I also use Kontakt instruments a lot.
And I upgraded my Reaktor to v.6 so I could use Blocks, which is amazing and so versatile and crazy.
Yeah, Reaktor is great. I regularly pick up the odd ensemble from the Reaktor Library.
It's like getting a whole new instrument or effect for free.
And I still use earlier Reaktor synths.
www.dataobscura.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 04:14:20 AM »
Will check this out myself. I'm a big fan of Reaktor too.
I've just bought a new (to me) music computer and one of the first things I installed was Reaktor

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
I think the NI stuff is the best. Love their synths ... so much quality and variety and invention.
The effects are excellent too. So is Guitar Rig to run stuff through.
I also use Kontakt instruments a lot.
And I upgraded my Reaktor to v.6 so I could use Blocks, which is amazing and so versatile and crazy.
Yeah, Reaktor is great. I regularly pick up the odd ensemble from the Reaktor Library.
It's like getting a whole new instrument or effect for free.
And I still use earlier Reaktor synths.

Kontakt is my main sampler.  I sold my hardware samplers because of Kontakt.  I use Absynth, Pro53 and FM8 occasionally.  I still prefer hardware synths and have more than a few of them.

I probably won't upgrade Reaktor until I've stretched the limits of version 5.  That will take a while.  So maybe the next upgrade will be Reaktor 7 or 8?     

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 05:42:07 PM »
I've just bought a new (to me) music computer and one of the first things I installed was Reaktor

Thanks for downloading it.  Please let me know what you think whenever it's convenient.

How have you been using Reaktor in your productions?

phobos

• Its still dark, even with the light on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 02:05:02 AM »

Kontakt is my main sampler.  I sold my hardware samplers because of Kontakt.  I use Absynth, Pro53 and FM8 occasionally.  I still prefer hardware synths and have more than a few of them.

I probably won't upgrade Reaktor until I've stretched the limits of version 5.  That will take a while.  So maybe the next upgrade will be Reaktor 7 or 8?   

Kontakt is an amazing piece of kit, so many ways to make new sounds. Been using it for many years and still discover new things to do with it. Like yourself I also sold my hardware samplers (Akai S5000 x2) because of Kontakt, although recently I have bought an Akai Z8, mainly because I want to build up my hardware equipment again, but also as a backup, just in case!
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobosdrones.wixsite.com/phobos
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
I recall a time when loading a relatively small quantity of samples into the sampler could take longer than an hour.  I don't miss that at all.

phobos

• Its still dark, even with the light on
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 01:04:11 AM »
I recall a time when loading a relatively small quantity of samples into the sampler could take longer than an hour.  I don't miss that at all.

Ah yes, it was a good excuse to go and make a cup of tea, several even!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:18:50 AM by phobos »
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobosdrones.wixsite.com/phobos
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 06:56:57 AM »

Thanks for downloading it.  Please let me know what you think whenever it's convenient.

How have you been using Reaktor in your productions?

I found it to be very interesting, as a 'multi effects' ensemble. I presume you made this for your own specific requirements ?, you sound like you know your stuff.

Off hand, I can't remember exactly how / what I used in Reaktor -  as my recent albums didn't use it all, but I do remember using the Reaktor FX side of things a lot and all manner of granulizers. I found some great stuff in the user library (and a lot of unusable stuff too !) and some great free stuff here:
http://boscomac.free.fr/?p=rack

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »
Thanks for trying it and thanks for your feedback.

I was bored, so I decided to get reacquainted with how to make things with Reaktor.  A filter with a bunch of modulators seemed like it would be fun to make and somewhat challenging.  It does things that nothing else in my studio can do, so I will probably use it to make music.  I'm happy with the result.

This exercise renewed my interest in making things with Reaktor.  It's a mentally stimulating process with occasional bouts of frustration.  It somehow manages to be rewarding even if the plug ins never get used to make music.  They will be there if I need them.