Author Topic: The Art of Listening.....a movie  (Read 7763 times)

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
Re: The Art of Listening.....a movie
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 06:39:26 AM »
I ran Jana's German expression through a english eTranslator.....some interesting results.

http://www.linguee.com/german-english/translation/die+kunst+des+zuhörens.html

This is cool, thanks Julio. I loved reading the german and english sentences.

The art of listening, you really initialized a good discussion!

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 07:32:25 AM »
In Germany we say "Die Kunst des Zuhörens" and indeed it is an ability to listen. I think it is also an art.

Many people do not have time and leisure to listen. Many people do not have the inner peace to listen. We live in a very sensitive age, I call it the cosmic age, where art can give us back inner peace and abilities for proper listening. Art makes the difference to real life because there is more than reality. It is beyond definitions to experience this by yourself in this way or another way.

If you consider art a skill of some sort, listening definitely fits that definition.  As others pointed out, it's a big part of what goes into audio production.  I have a whole listening process that I follow when I'm mixing a piece that I'm working on... I'm not sure if that's what this movie is about or not - it's hard to tell from the trailer.

But for the average person, listening isn't an art form.  Most people just want to have some sort of familiar or mood sustaining background noise and aren't really concerned about the skill or techniques that went into creating it.  To some people just having a T.V. in the background is sufficient.  ;D

When I am waiting for the bus in the early morning when I go to work, I look at the bleak winter trees and enjoy their beauty, I think about the past and future of these trees and their beauty then and now. Then I think, these bleak trees have the most beautiful forms and I discover lots of new things like buds, and I wonder: When did those buds grow and are they always there all the time....

Then I look at the people who are waiting with me for the bus, and nobody looks at these old trees or the ravens that are flying above, I wonder: Did they ever look the beauty of nature? I end up watching the ravens and all the time I am listening to music on headphones, and I recognize that all the time the music was there but did I really listen or did the music made me looking up...

The art of listening, this is more than an ability, and more than art, it is just to sink into...

(and yes also whilst production process)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:30:25 PM by stargazer »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 09:47:46 PM »

When I am waiting for the bus in the early morning when I go to work, I look at the bleak winter trees and enjoy their beauty, I think about the past and future of these trees and their beauty then and now. Then I think, these bleak trees have the most beautiful forms and I discover lots of new things like buds, and I wonder: When did those buds grow and are they always there all the time....

Then I look at the people who are waiting with me for the bus, and nobody looks at these old trees or the ravens that are flying above, I wonder: Did they ever look the beauty of nature? I end up watching the ravens and all the time I am listening to music on headphones, and I recognize that all the time the music was there but did I really listen or did the music made me looking up...

The art of listening, this is more than an ability, and more than art, it is just to sink into...

(and yes also whilst production process)

That is so beautiful put Jana.....I hear it and see it.  Perception is everything!

Thank You.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
Did anyone check out the soundtrack by Christopher Willits?

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
It's more than art?  Perhaps they should have called the movie Beyond the Art of Listening. 

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
It's more than art?  Perhaps they should have called the movie Beyond the Art of Listening.

I do not understand your intent and question?

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »

I do not understand your intent and question?

It was a response to this

It was a rhetorical question followed by a supposition that does not have a specific intent beyond summation.

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »

It was a rhetorical question followed by a supposition that does not have a specific intent beyond summation.

Here is my answer:

The word "art" has many meanings. We do not exactly know what the film "The art of listening" has to say about the word "art" until we watched it.
You asked us (the forum) what we would think about the term "art of listening". Also, you told us your definition.

You used a traditional definition, you said "listening" is not an "art". When I say "the art of listening" is an "art" i refer to the many meanings the word has.
I often use the words in a transcendental meaning. Sometimes this confuses others. I myself am often confused by rhetoric.

PS:

The film is now available to watch:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:56:38 PM by stargazer »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »
Thanks Jana for posting the full video.... a lot to think about.  This is clearly musicians enjoying talk about their passion for sound.  I thought from the trailer it might lean towards the listener / music fan a little more but not so though it does express the passionate energy wrapped up in the process of recording music first and foremost for the listener.

I really understood how music is an energy that works on a different level than just what we perceive as hearing it.

Also really adhere to the "quality" of sound the video suggests we strive for and how we so short change our listening experience with inferior quality playback.

"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:38 AM »
Watched the movie last night...interesting but felt like something was missing. Most of the focus in on the musicians as Julio said. The pieces by Chris Willits sounded nice. I'd like to get his soundtrack eventually.

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
We watched the film the other day. I found it particulary special in pictures and sound, in these parts the movie was really weightless.
I agree with Julio and cvac, it was a talk by musicians, producers, engineers and instrument makers and I especially loved the talk with the both guitar makers.