Author Topic: The Art of Listening.....a movie  (Read 2027 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

Tardigrade

• View Profile
Re: The Art of Listening.....a movie
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »
I didn't play the video.  A movie about the so called "art of listening" is likely to ruffle my feathers.

However, I am very interested to know what the phrase "art of listening" means to the forum in the context of listening to music recreationally, professionally or both. 

The glaring omission of the scientific aspect of listening from the title of the movie enables pretentiousness, so perhaps it would be prudent to discuss what the "art and science of listening" means to you.

Internet rules written in stone dictate the first response to this unexpected thread interjection should come from the OP, our very own and recently MIA, Julio Di Benedetto.

Come on down!

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 05:40:59 AM »
Julio: That seems to be an interesting documentary with a partly really good soundtrack (e.g. "Sps").
We wonder what the point of the film will be. Is the point that music should tell more from the soul when produced with high end equipment or is the point that music should be listened better ways to fully get its intent and content?

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:08:36 AM »
Looks intriguing, I'm particularly interested in the 'mobile listening' thing - people listening to music on their devices through earphones, whilst out and about.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:25:32 AM »
The movie intrigued me also and its direction is not obvious from the trailer.  I thought it was most interesting when it was said that this is the best time, historically to "listen to music" technologically speaking and yet it maybe the first time that music is consumed as a casual sensory accessory due to mobility which asks is that the best environment to listen?  What is the best environment?  Music does not come with listening instruction generally though some do explain unique recording situations that are important to fully appreciate the listening experience.....perhaps the best experience of music is the concert for both the performers and the audience.  The interactiveness.  The complete immersion!  Lots to think about.

Tardigrade my own thoughts on this from a personal perspective.....I listen to music all the time which is mostly of my own in creation and during the compositional process I listen much more then I actually record. The two have to coexist no doubt and all musicians do it in varying degrees.  As a music lover/fan I feel being a musician is a disadvantage because I find myself still working when Im listening, analyzing, figuring out structure, separating the sonic layers to a piece and often missing the actual experience of enjoying the music.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 09:36:16 AM »
Kind of an ambiguous premise.  Live and recorded music are really created for different settings and experiences, so is the film about that or about how the listener can or should approach music in general?

As a longtime listener, I enjoy listening to music the old-school way, preferably sitting down and wedged between some nice speakers or with decent phones.  But I'm not sure there's a right or wrong way to listen, as long as it does something for you.  My mindset for creating music is a completely different thing.  I'm usually between trying to preserve the moment and trying to realize something that's either in my head or sketched out beforehand, but I'm not thinking out whether my potential listeners are going to be hearing the piece at home or on the train.

Forrest
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:38:18 PM by ffcal »

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 04:43:30 PM »
After thinking about it, I don't think there is an art to listening for consumers.  Art implies creation.  There might be an art to listening during musical creation, but most musicians don't have unique or creative methods of listening during production.  It generally boils down to: does this sound good through trusted speakers and headphones at various volumes.   

Except for me, because I make sure my music sounds good underwater.  If it sounds good underwater, it will sound very good in air.  ;)

I'm still not sure what the movie is about.  Maybe I should watch the trailer.  I'll have to wait for a day when I can risk a feather ruffling.       

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
This is the art of listening, its about listening, about the experience and the creation of sonic art in the  heart mind of this listener
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:36:11 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:35:44 AM »
This is the art of listening, its about listening, about the experience and the creation of sonic art in the  heart mind of this listener

Hi Julio, I watched the first piece on the video.  It is interesting, but a bit romanticized and it only captures part of the process--the recording.  I think that the preproduction/postproduction, as unglamorous as it may be, can be just as important, especially when studio effects are an integral part of the atmosphere of the overall piece and when a piece is as through-composed as this one was.  The video also captures a piece primarily as a performance.  My pieces generally are not realized as single real-time performances, because of the layering of different instruments and sonic processing that I back into what I've already recorded.  Sometimes I use sonic bits that were recorded years apart.  I wasn't even sure that the melody in the video originated from the Korg MS-20 that he appeared to be playing.  I have one, and I don't think they sound that crisp, even with digital reverb.  My experience has been that a lot of the creative process can be uninteresting to watch, especially the parts showing frustration when a bit doesn't work.  ;)  Maybe it was just the slickness of the video that irritated me a bit.

Forrest
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:43:09 AM by ffcal »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »

Hi Julio, I watched the first piece on the video.  It is interesting, but a bit romanticized and it only captures part of the process--the recording.  I think that the preproduction/postproduction, as unglamorous as it may be, can be just as important, especially when studio effects are an integral part of the atmosphere of the overall piece and when a piece is as through-composed as this one was.  The video also captures a piece primarily as a performance.  My pieces generally are not realized as single real-time performances, because of the layering of different instruments and sonic processing that I back into what I've already recorded.  Sometimes I use sonic bits that were recorded years apart.  I wasn't even sure that the melody in the video originated from the Korg MS-20 that he appeared to be playing.  I have one, and I don't think they sound that crisp, even with digital reverb.  My experience has been that a lot of the creative process can be uninteresting to watch, especially the parts showing frustration when a bit doesn't work.  ;)  Maybe it was just the slickness of the video that irritated me a bit.

Forrest

Hi Forrest.....with a video like this we have to throw in the "art of watching" as well ;D.  As I was consider what actually is the art of listening I came across this video and I do love the music but there was something more to it or more to it for my experience and Im wondering if listening has just as much to do with all our senses, not only what our ears perceive but also what we see, smell and even taste strange as that may sound.

The last piece in the video shows a little party followed by a performance and listening to it while I was watching it sipping a glass of wine I was completely involved in the experience on many levels.  Actually being there would be completion.

I guess what Im getting at is that I feel a performance maybe the apex of the listening experience...not sure where the art part comes in....I recall as a teenager listening to my Rush albums immersed with headphones looking at the jacket photos and reading the lyrics and then I went to see Rush in concert,  The Permanent Waves Tour. it was my first live performance of any style of music.  I was blown away, the sound, the energy, the lights, the musicians performing, the audience that I was a part of.  My favorite songs coming alive.

The act of listening to music is clearly a personal experience as is the creation of the music.  Music is an art form but it does not exist as does say painting or writing.  Music does not have three dimensions in time and space......could this means it requires something more to be truly heard?

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
Thanks for posting the second video Julio. I LOVE the string part in the last piece (asides the piano that I do not like).

One of the most beautiful little strings concerts that I ever heard. Wow. Natural playing, natural theme (a slightly japanese theme I would say).

When the art of sound composition meets the art of playing meets the art of listening.

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
Do painters practice the art of seeing?  No.  They practice the art of painting.  Art is a clearly defined thing and it doesn't include listening. 

The term art can be used in the figurative sense.  Now, if they called the movie "The Figurative Art of Listening", then I would have no problem with it.

I will listen to the soundtrack of the movie by Christopher Willits who currently has less than a handful of sales at Bandcamp.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
Do painters practice the art of seeing?  No.  They practice the art of painting.  Art is a clearly defined thing and it doesn't include listening. 

The term art can be used in the figurative sense.  Now, if they called the movie "The Figurative Art of Listening", then I would have no problem with it.

I will listen to the soundtrack of the movie by Christopher Willits who currently has less than a handful of sales at Bandcamp.

You cannot paint with out seeing.  I have not painted anything in some 20 years but I can tell you seeing, looking, is as much an art as is the act of put paint on a canvas. Same goes with listening for the composer.  As to the act of listening for an audience all be it one person with an iPod and buds is an art is the real question.

Is reading an art?  Without it there would be no authors. A reader is part of the writers expression as is the listener for music....if you don't press the play button there is only silence. If nobody buys tickets to a certain concert then there is no audience to play for.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:42:17 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 05:33:24 AM »
In Germany we say "Die Kunst des Zuhörens" and indeed it is an ability to listen. I think it is also an art.

Many people do not have time and leisure to listen. Many people do not have the inner peace to listen. We live in a very sensitive age, I call it the cosmic age, where art can give us back inner peace and abilities for proper listening. Art makes the difference to real life because there is more than reality. It is beyond definitions to experience this by yourself in this way or another way.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »
I ran Jana's German expression through a english eTranslator.....some interesting results.

http://www.linguee.com/german-english/translation/die+kunst+des+zuhörens.html

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »

Yeah, "art" is not really a well defined thing. When you see the term "art" in a more original sense, as skill or ability (ancient Greek techne), then things make more sense. The art of spear fishing, or of cycling. It is a skill, and can be improved on with practice. Clearly seeing is an important skill to painters, and to poets, and many other fields.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 12:31:04 PM »

You cannot paint with out seeing.  I have not painted anything in some 20 years but I can tell you seeing, looking, is as much an art as is the act of put paint on a canvas. Same goes with listening for the composer. 

One of the greatest composers of all time was deaf.

There are many blind painters.  A blind man painted this.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »

One of the greatest composers of all time was deaf.

My understanding is that he was not deaf his entire life. If that is true, he likely imagined what his scores would sound like in his head while composing them.

ryansummers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
In Germany we say "Die Kunst des Zuhörens" and indeed it is an ability to listen. I think it is also an art.

Many people do not have time and leisure to listen. Many people do not have the inner peace to listen. We live in a very sensitive age, I call it the cosmic age, where art can give us back inner peace and abilities for proper listening. Art makes the difference to real life because there is more than reality. It is beyond definitions to experience this by yourself in this way or another way.

If you consider art a skill of some sort, listening definitely fits that definition.  As others pointed out, it's a big part of what goes into audio production.  I have a whole listening process that I follow when I'm mixing a piece that I'm working on... I'm not sure if that's what this movie is about or not - it's hard to tell from the trailer.

But for the average person, listening isn't an art form.  Most people just want to have some sort of familiar or mood sustaining background noise and aren't really concerned about the skill or techniques that went into creating it.  To some people just having a T.V. in the background is sufficient.  ;D

How do you know when a song is finished?
"When I'm sick of making it." - Richard D. James

https://soundcloud.com/ryansummers
https://ryansummers.bandcamp.com/

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »

My understanding is that he was not deaf his entire life. If that is true, he likely imagined what his scores would sound like in his head while composing them.

The type of music he composed is essentially math.  A highly skilled composer can write music without hearing anything.  He could write and understand something like this in a similar manner to the way a brilliant mathematician can look at a complex equation and understand what it means.

If he was deaf from birth, it's unlikely he would have risen to legendary status, but deaf people can be taught to write music. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:50:45 PM by Tardigrade »